• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I think we should prepare for a 6th place finish and plan for that

glorygloryeze

Ian Walker
Let's be honest, on paper we have a more ideal run-in than our competitors.

But as we know games are not won on paper.

We look totally shot, physically and mentally. In fact we have mostly looked that way since the last 10 mins of the first half against Arsenal if we're honest. Mostly.

The big factor really is that we kick-off our game agaisnt QPR after both Chelsea and Saudi Sportswashing Machine, who could both have won, leaving us 6th. No doubt QPR wil need to win as well and their survival need you can see it usurping our drive to get back to joint-4th.

Therein I think we'll not be able to hack having to claw our form back to being in the top 4...sadly...

I'm not evn going to talk about how far away the Gunners are likely to be by the time we play the game after QPR...

Whilst we played well in large parts today our first touch and passing was mostly awful - how many times were we in gvood positions when our final ball or control of the first ball was hackney marshes stuff?? Compare that to Chelsea's relatuvely slick one-two touch when they enjoyed possession. I think a lack of training/methodology (i.e. a plan B and some detailed planning for the opposition) and confidence means we are now spent.

We REALLY needed third this year, let alone fourth, as we will need to replace quite a few players. And to replace them with really good ones would have been easier and perhaps cheaper wih guarenteed CL games and income.

It's going to be far harder if/when we finish 6th (just ask Liverpool), but as long as we keep Bale and VDV (always preferred that if we were going to sell Luka it would be this summer, when there may be multiple bidders - and we could do with the money; he is not irreplacible) we have a good core to build around AND attract other good players.

Also, if 6th means get back a better long-term transfer strategy and progressive coaching/fitness set-up then I'd take that.

does that get europa league? would not mind, i was there for the games in europa this season if it means more of townsend and carroll maybe parrett, pritchard and kane i would be ok with it.

today has just wiped out any hope i had of achieving anything from our remaining games

meh

If we finish lower than 4th, then we can say goodbye to ever competing around that area of the table ever again.

does that get europa league? would not mind, i was there for the games in europa this season if it means more of townsend and carroll maybe parrett, pritchard and kane i would be ok with it.

Depends on if Liverpool win, I think. If they win and Chelsea finish top 4 then 6th will get Europa League. I'm not sure if 6th place is guarentted to be Europa league though..

today has just wiped out any hope i had of achieving anything from our remaining games

meh

Felt exactly the same when left. Kiss goodbye to top 4 etc. My only shining light and glimmer of hope is that 2 years ago i was saying the same walking out of Wembley having got beat by relegated Portsmouth before games against Arsenal, Chelsea and Emirates Marketing Project, all of which we won to get 4th. But still, we weren't on as bad a run as we have been these past few months!

If we finish lower than 4th, then we can say goodbye to ever competing around that area of the table ever again.

Actually, if we get a manager who can deal with the bread and butter PL and work on the small details that make the big details then we can compete near this part of the table I think. Lots of team with rebuilding to do, but it will be harder for sure without CL

If Everton win the FA Cup only 5th will get Europa League.
It ridiculous that's its down to this. But that's were we are.

the arsenal game crippled us, today just buried us

you know what tinkles me off most ? why can't it ever be just a fair and square defeat/fudge up whatever you want to call it ? the season we blew 4th with Jol - the whole lasagna thing - this season with Redknapp getting thrown off track by the england links in the media - today with the dodgy decisions

we fudged up against arsenal but at least that was just a straight forward "we were brick, fair enough" defeat

you know what tinkles me off most ? why can't it ever be just a fair and square defeat/fudge up whatever you want to call it ? the season we blew 4th with Jol - the whole lasagna thing - this season with Redknapp getting thrown off track by the england links in the media - today with the dodgy decisions

we fudged up against arsenal but at least that was just a straight forward "we were brick, fair enough" defeat

You could argue today was a a 'fair enough' defeat. Scoreline was highly flattering but were we good enough to win it? I mean really? As I say our passing/final ball was mostly atrocious.

Remember our second goal at the Emirates was a bit of robbery in that Bale kinda dived. Didn't stop them beating us from two goals down did it?

meh

This. Also tired of hard luck stories, so cheslbricks second goal should not have stood, so what? Why don't we have the mentality to let such injustices drive us on to win games? That is something that top teams and players can achieve. Our lot ended up collapsing like a bunch of pansy ****s...own mummy it's not fair. Justfudge off you overpaid ego driven primadonna ****s.

I'm fine with it. In fact, it may do us a world of good, finishing 6th. It's lower than Martin Jol finished in both 05-06 and 06-07 with a far weaker squad, and it should finally lift the veil from our and Levy's eyes. This squad is good enough to finish third. It's the coaching staff that isn't. Sure, the squad will probably disintegrate now, but if it helps Levy appoint a more tactically astute, rounded manager, it will have done us the world of good. Ship out Modric and Bale if we have to, or if the money's too good.It's not the end of the world; after all, they're not leaving for nothing. We'll get handsome fees, probably in the region of 70-80 million pounds, for the two of them alone. What's important, though, is that we use that money wisely.

Use it to find the right man for the helm, and get him the best coaching staff we can afford.

Use it to back him in the market, and get him the men he needs as opposed to the ones he merely wants or fancies.

Use it to overhaul our tepid scouting network, and appoint better, more active scouts more suited to their various regions and more adept at spotting the best talent.

Use it to upgrade our youth system, to get better kids coming through and to get our academy classified as a Category One institution.

Use it it to completely gut and replace our physiotherapy and fitness regimes, because neither of them are doing their jobs properly at the moment.

And use it to get our new stadium underway at last.

As long as we do all this, I don't mind finishing 6th, and I don't really mind selling Bale and Modric. It might even turn out to be a good thing for the club in the long term.

You could argue today was a a 'fair enough' defeat. Scoreline was highly flattering but were we good enough to win it? I mean really? As I say our passing/final ball was mostly atrocious.

Remember our second goal at the Emirates was a bit of robbery in that Bale kinda dived. Didn't stop them beating us from two goals down did it?

whats the craic with the 2nd goal - was it over the line ? that came at a pivitol point and i think they should have had a player sent off for our goal ? and was the 3rd offside ? i dunno if any of these were correct as only heard what people were saying as we left the ground - but even though we lost heavily - at those points in the game we were still in it and these moments contributed to taking the game away from us - without that second goal the second half could have gone a totally different way, their first was against the run of play (great goal btw) and we were still in with a chance until the 3rd went in and killed it

whats the craic with the 2nd goal - was it over the line ? that came at a pivitol point and i think they should have had a player sent off for our goal ? and was the 3rd offside ? i dunno if any of these were correct as only heard what people were saying as we left the ground - but even though we lost heavily - at those points in the game we were still in it and these moments contributed to taking the game away from us - without that second goal the second half could have gone a totally different way, their first was against the run of play (great goal btw) and we were still in with a chance until the 3rd went in and killed it

2nd goal was a joke for sure, but 3rd goal just looked like a combination of being outnumbered in central midfield after VDV went off for Defoe (I knew this would be a gamble too far) and then poor defending by BAE, though again little protection from midfield as Mata all of a sudden was able to pick players at ease because they had a man over.

But as I say, other teams have gone 2 nil down unfairly and have been able to come back or at least not totally collapse. There is only so far that a set of hard-luck stories wil take us...

There wasn't even a single bit of the ball which went over the line. There were three different players on the line where the ball was as well. There wasn't a player on that pitch who thought it went over and likely not a fan in the stadium who thought it was a goal.

The goal did change the game of course. And Atkinson is an utter prick. But far too often, we let decisions like that get to us. Its the most recent game so its an example I've been using quite a bit over the past week or so but Norwich for example were 1-0 up at whl, were denied a stone-wall penalty and a minute later, the score was 1-1. For us, in that situation, away at a superior team, denied that penalty, we 100% would have collapsed imo. Or at the very least, we wouldn't have won as Norwich did.

To our credit, we rallied for 10-15 minutes this time and scored a goal during that time.

Either way, we collapsed as soon as Defoe came on for VDV. Ghost goal or no, that was the final nail imo.

There wasn't even a single bit of the ball which went over the line. There were three different players on the line where the ball was as well. There wasn't a player on that pitch who thought it went over and likely not a fan in the stadium who thought it was a goal.

Mata evidently did, or he wouldn't have wheeled off celebrating it ten milliseconds after it happened. He can't be another Chelsea c**t, can he?

Back