• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

That's my take on it too. I think there's a translation or language issue there. It would make no sense to say he wants to stay for "one" more year - why would he be so precise? I think he means he is looking forward to "another" season at the club.

My thoughts exactly typical press hype to twist his words to their liking, its more likely he said "another year" as opposed to "one more year" especially when the rest of his comments are read. Headlines sell newspapers and that is a big one "Spurs set to lose players after bottling league chase"

Uh oh.

Upon further reading, it sounds like this has been taken out of context (surprise, surprise!)

He's happy to stay here again next season because it's such an exciting time for the club, no mention of a departure date.

Indeed, I was a little concerned until I read what paper it was in, the Standard is as bad as the Daily Fail for making things up.

It is a complete mis-quote. In Spanish you can use the word 'mas' as either 'more' or 'another' and you would say 'one more year' when in English you might mean 'lets have another go next year

As important as Lamela is to this team, I think we must not forget that players will leave at some point, or get past their prime. It is unlikely to expect that we will have this exact team two seasons from now. The important thing is to have a continuity/succession plan in place. Maybe we do not get a like-for-like replacement for the players that leave, but someone that brings something different, but equally important to the table. The right approach by the club would be to have discussions early with the players to, either renew their contracts, or get a sense of when they would be leaving so they can have their replacement lined up.

Erik Lamela committed to Tottenham, wants to win title next season

Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Erik Lamela says he is not thinking of leaving the club this summer.

Lamela has two years remaining on his current deal and is one of several players reportedly in talks with Spurs about a contract extension.

The winger endured two disappointing campaigns after joining Spurs in a club-record £30 million deal from AS Roma three years ago, but this season he has established himself as a regular, impressing in 43 appearances in all competitions.

The Argentina international, who was named in Gerardo Martino's provisional squad for this summer's Copa America Centario, came close to a move to Marseille 12 months ago but has seized his opportunity since, notching 10 goals and 10 assists in all competitions this season.

The 24-year-old says he is happy at Tottenham and targeting the Premier League title next season.

"Honestly, I feel comfortable in Tottenham, I'd like to stay one more year here," Lamela told Argentine website TyCSports.com. "We are a brave group, very competitive.

"Hopefully everyone can stay together so we can improve and win some [form of] title. This year it was not possible but we were close and we will play the Champions League now.

"The balance is good. We are second, and a draw is enough for us to be the runners-up. It's very positive. Before starting, we just wanted to finish well. We are a young team that will continue to work hard to win the title next year."

Meanwhile, Sevilla sporting director Monchi has hinted that Lamela's compatriot Federico Fazio will return to Tottenham in the summer.

Centre-back Fazio, 29, joined Spurs from Sevilla in the summer of 2014 but never managed to establish himself as a regular in Mauricio Pochettino's team.

He returned to his former club on a six-month loan in January but has made just six appearances and is unlikely to play for Sevilla again this season.

"The year he didn't play in London has not favoured him, he struggled to find his good performances," Monchi told Spanish daily Estadio Deportivo: "He's a bet we had, we felt he was ideal for the team."

http://www.espnfc.com/story/2868593...d-to-tottenham-wants-to-win-title-next-season

--------------------------------------------

Maybe, the "one year" reference was a plea to Levy not to sell him ! He got 10 goals and 10 assists in all competitions which is a good return from a midfielder. But money-minded people like Levy will only look at his 30m fee and feel that is not enough !

Or maybe Lamela is upset after almost having a on-field fight with Eriksen against Southampton. Lamela won the freekick but Eriksen grabbed the ball and wanted to take the freekick instead. They both seemed like arguing with each other on who supposed to take while Dier tried to become the peace maker. While Eriksen lined up the ball to take the freekick, it was Lamela who took the freekick instead ! For a while there, thought both were going to punch each other.:D

Getting Fazio back is a bit of a blow.... We don't want to be stuck with his wages on the books. I wonder whether he would actually accept a move to West Brom this time round?

Erik Lamela makes heartfelt promise to Tottenham supporters

Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Erik Lamela reflects on their end to the Premier League season

Erik Lamela has promised Tottenham Hotspur supporters that Mauricio Pochettino’s players will come back even stronger next season.
The Lilywhites suffered the disappointment of missing out on the Premier League title at the start of May after a 2-2 draw with Chelsea handed the trophy to Leicester City with two games to spare.

To compound their misery, Spurs failed to win any of their last four games which denied Tottenham the chance to finish above their north London rivals for the first time as Arsenal hoisted themselves into second place on the final day of the Premier League season.

But Argentina international Lamela managed to find some consolation with their place in next season’s Champions League despite their disappointing end to an otherwise impressive campaign for Pochettino’s squad.

Lamela wrote on his Instagram page:
“Season over now, not the end we were expecting, but a good year altogether that will let us play Champions League! Thanks to the fans
1f44f.png
you were amazing from the first game until the last! We will back even stronger!
1f4aa.png

#COYS”

http://www.thesportreview.com/tsr/2...es-heartfelt-promise-to-tottenham-supporters/

-------------------------------------------------

Lamela finished the season in great form, getting 2 goals and 4 assists in the last 6 matches. In total, he had 5 goals and 9 assists in the league and 11 goals and 10 assists in all competitions. He will be a great player for us if he can score more than 10 league goals next season.

Great season for Lamela, finally to the point where I want him starting every match. His timing for laying off through-balls is impeccable and always leaves at least one defender with his arm up in the air while Kane or Alli finish off the chance. I don't know how many offsides we get compared to other teams but for how incredibly fine the margins are for some of the passes... it's actually quite impressive. And the linos didn't fudge up too much either, maybe just one goal disallowed that shouldn't have been this season IIRC.

One player that I am definitely not upset with.

He was probably one of the only players to show at least something against Saudi Sportswashing Machine....

But yeah, it's amazing how much he has come around, like many here, happy to hold my hands up and say I thought he wasn't cut out for it and consequently Lamela is such an important part of the team. He was always a trier but now the end product is coming through in terms of goals and assists, as well as his ability on the ball.

Back