• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

That first yellow, I was actually shouting "well in." Couldn't believe it was a yellow. Why not be done and end tackling. What was the difference between that tackle and Xhaka on Doherty. I thought it was a poor performance today from Michael Oliver.

THIS! That "challenge" was worse IMO.

It’s just not a foul, you are allowed to hold someone off.
Swung his arm out though, with a bit of power, at head/neck height, on a yellow.

That gives the ref a decision to make. It's not the way to hold someone off.

I think it came from frustration, which is understandable. But it's still utterly stupid from an experienced player that's used to an aggressive style and playing on a yellow.

Swung his arm out though, with a bit of power, at head/neck height, on a yellow.

That gives the ref a decision to make. It's not the way to hold someone off.

I think it came from frustration, which is understandable. But it's still utterly stupid from an experienced player that's used to an aggressive style and playing on a yellow.

it's a stiff arm push, it was straight, his arm was no more than shoulder height

if my 5-a-side games were officiated like that they would be abandoned 2 mins in every time for lack of players

The difference is that Lamela's follow-through was through the back of the player, whereas Xhaka's was head-on. For whatever reason coming through the side / back of players has always been punished more harshly.
Xhaka wasn't head on! He came from an angle, and he went through the ankle of Doherty with a straight foot.

I said yesterday if the ref thinks you’ve smacked someone in the chops on purpose, that’s violent play and it’s a straight red, but if it’s an accident it’s nothing. So I’m still baffled as to why it was a yellow regardless of whether he’d had a card before or not. I find it quite a stretch to categorically state a player is intending to foul someone when they are in possession and in complete control of the ball.

I said yesterday if the ref thinks you’ve smacked someone in the chops on purpose, that’s violent play and it’s a straight red, but if it’s an accident it’s nothing. So I’m still baffled as to why it was a yellow regardless of whether he’d had a card before or not. I find it quite a stretch to categorically state a player is intending to foul someone when they are in possession and in complete control of the ball.

if he gives a straight red we can appeal it, that's why he didn't

Xhaka wasn't head on! He came from an angle, and he went through the ankle of Doherty with a straight foot.

Are you talking about a different foul to the video clip that I was replying to? Because that clip very clearly shows him going through the front of Doherty, and not studs-first (if that’s what you meant by straight foot).

Great goal my arse, he is scared of his right foot that he used his left in an unnatural way, got away with it this time though.
I thought it was really brilliant, one of the best goals I've seen in a long time. I didn't expect it, nor did the defenders or keeper, one minute he was standing still, the next the ball flew through the nutmeg and perfectly into the corner. No backlift or sign he would shoot, just perfect.

Much better than his other rabona where he clearly could have used his right if he had one.

That goal had me on my feet shouting WTF with kids in earshot! That's what I watch football for, every now and then a nugget like that comes along.

And it's what this game will be remembered for. We were brick for 94 minutes and 58 seconds - the remaining two Lamela did that, and it was glorious.

Back