• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

@StephenH did you think we had gone backwards at full-time v Stoke in our last league game? ;)

I think we are in a better position than last season, once our squad players settle and our big hitters regain their form. If we are struggling in 10 games time, then I think you could say we have gone backwards -- however (Monaco aside) we have matched last seasons results almost score for score so far and that's with an off-form Kane and no Dembele.

We'll be fine.

You have to laugh at some who are deflecting the goal away from the mess Lamela made by losing the ball and trying to put it onto Jan. I like Lamela and think he is usually one of our best players but he screwed up last night and trying to deflect the blame onto other players is foolish ( imo).

I wonder if all those who have criticised our M/F ( in earlier games) of Wanyama and Dier as being to defensive could see that we struggled in that area all game without them.

You have to laugh at some who are deflecting the goal away from the mess Lamela made by losing the ball and trying to put it onto Jan. I like Lamela and think he is usually one of our best players but he screwed up last night and trying to deflect the blame onto other players is foolish ( imo).

I wonder if all those who have criticised our M/F ( in earlier games) of Wanyama and Dier as being to defensive could see that we struggled in that area all game without them.

Deflect blame nah sod that - they both did not cover themselves in glory - both need a good gonad*ing. Of course IMHO

Like many goals there was more than one mistake involved. If Lamela had gone for an easier pass (and remembered he wasn't playing against Andros Townsend) things would have been different. But if Verts had done better Lamela's mistake would not have been the initiating factor.

Deflect blame nah sod that - they both did not cover themselves in glory - both need a good cobblering. Of course IMHO
Cause and effect. I prefer to concentrate on the former.... If Lamela doesn't royally f-up there we are fine.

In the scenario Spurs were in when Lamela has the ball at his feet you would expect to concede a goal less than 1 in 100 occurances. In the scenario with a centre half being faced up 1 on 1 quite centrally just outside our area you would expect to concede 1 time in every 3 or 4 occurances. Surely you can see that? Yes at that stage it was possible that Jan would do something very good to bale us out, but it shouldn't come to that in the first place.

That area of the pitch with no midfield behind him was not the place for Lamela to be trying a high risk action such as a nutmeg.

Cause and effect. I prefer to concentrate on the former.... If Lamela doesn't royally f-up there we are fine.

In the scenario Spurs were in when Lamela has the ball at his feet you would expect to concede a goal less than 1 in 100 occurances. In the scenario with a centre half being faced up 1 on 1 quite centrally just outside our area you would expect to concede 1 time in every 3 or 4 occurances. Surely you can see that? Yes at that stage it was possible that Jan would do something very good to bale us out, but it shouldn't come to that in the first place.

That area of the pitch with no midfield behind him was not the place for Lamela to be trying a high risk action such as a nutmeg.

Both as I said are equally culpable IMHO.

Just because Lamela drops a gonad* does not excuse Jan for dropping his!

It's history let's move on!

Both as I said are equally culpable IMHO.

Just because Lamela drops a cobbler does not excuse Jan for dropping his!

It's history let's move on!
So you consider them to be equally as bad cobblers?.... Giving the ball away trying to do a nutmeg for no reason in a dangerous area of the pitch with all of your midfield in front of you compared to being last man and getting beaten one on one? If so I truly give up.... The second is unfortunate. The first is negligent.

I'll put it another way shall I?.... When Lamela first had the ball at his feet were you thinking "brick we might concede here"? I know I certainly wasn't. In fact conceding was the last thing on my mind. However as soon as he lost it that changed completely.

Alternatively consider how many times last night we found ourselves bearing down on the oppostions goal 1 v 1 against an isolated centre half? It is incredibly rare for that sort of scenario to occur. It occured against us last night because of a brain dead decision from one of our midfielders.

Like I say... cause and effect.

Last edited:
So you consider them to be equally as bad cobblers?.... Giving the ball away trying to do a nutmeg for no reason in a dangerous area of the pitch with all of your midfield in front of you compared to being last man and getting beaten one on one? If so I truly give up.... The second is unfortunate. The first is negligent.

I'll put it another way shall I?.... When Lamela first had the ball at his feet were you thinking "brick we might concede here"? I know I certainly wasn't. In fact conceding was the last thing on my mind. However as soon as he lost it that changed completely. Like I say... cause and effect.

Nice try! We will agree to differ.

I don't like to highlight one player, yes Lamela is most at fault for the first goal but a blame culture for isolated incidents helps no one.

We are supporters after all.

Like many goals there was more than one mistake involved. If Lamela had gone for an easier pass (and remembered he wasn't playing against Andros Townsend) things would have been different. But if Verts had done better Lamela's mistake would not have been the initiating factor.

What a surprise that you are deflecting away from Lamela :), he needs kicking up his arse for trying to do that in his own half. And i say that as a big fan of his. Of course it was the initiating factor.

What a surprise that you are deflecting away from Lamela :), he needs kicking up his arse for trying to do that in his own half. And i say that as a big fan of his. Of course it was the initiating factor.
I too am a big Lamela can (he won me over completely in the last three quarters of last season) but last night showed how one really bad decision from a single player can end up costing you the game at that level. I felt that we were quite significantly on top until that moment and it really did change the game. It's fine attempting a nutmeg on Townsend when out wide in the opposition's half with Danny Rose 15 yards behind you. To attempt one in the middle of your own half with our midfielders and fullbacks in the process of pushing on is something that should be coached out of you by the time you are 16. I bet Poch was absolutely fuming with him behind closed doors.

I too am a big Lamela can (he won me over completely in the last three quarters of last season) but last night showed how one really bad decision from a single player can end up costing you the game at that level. I felt that we were quite significantly on top until that moment and it really did change the game. It's fine attempting a nutmeg on Townsend when out wide in the opposition's half with Danny Rose 15 yards behind you. To attempt one in the middle of your own half with our midfielders and fullbacks in the process of pushing on is something that should be coached out of you by the time you are 16. I bet Poch was absolutely fuming with him behind closed doors.

My thoughts as well, i guess we as fans love to see some showboating at times but it needs to be kept for once we have won the game and never in the wrong place.

I've no doubt he did gonad* him, it probably didn't stop him gonad*ing Jan as well for some school boy defending though? Both fudged up, both should be gonad*ed in my opinion.

Cobbler = b o l l o c k by the way, ruddy swear filter!

Last edited:
When Lamela first had the ball at his feet were you thinking "brick we might concede here"? I know I certainly wasn't.
I was actually; he took it off Dier's toe and Dier was a couple of yards ahead of him with men closing in and I thought "oh poo, if Lamela gets tackled they'll be straight into the centre defence

I don't like to highlight one player, yes Lamela is most at fault for the first goal but a blame culture for isolated incidents helps no one.

We are supporters after all.
No we're surrounded by customers who expect a win. Supporters, support the team when they need it, when it's not going well.

Back