• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Brilliant player. So glad that he's found his feet at the club. Think he's gonna go up even another level this season.

Brilliant player. So glad that he's found his feet at the club. Think he's gonna go up even another level this season.

That's definitely the hope, still think he's a long way from his ceiling.

Obviously fit, knows his role in squad, comfortable in system, getting back to the game winner we bought ...

Lamela, Dier, Rose & Toby are probably the most consistent players in squad ... week in, week out

Obviously fit, knows his role in squad, comfortable in system, getting back to the game winner we bought ...

Lamela, Dier, Rose & Toby are probably the most consistent players in squad ... week in, week out
I'd add Walker to that list this season. Our most consistent performer in the opening matches IMO.

Agreed. I think Lamela can still improve a lot more especially his goal scoring. He is capable of scoring more goals for us. He only needs to have the self confidence in front of goal.

Remember Poch getting fuked off with Lamela's netmeg on Townsend? Seemed strange at the time angrily replying to a reporters question, can't remember what he said. But now we know why. Poch will be brewing with Lamela after the attempted nutmeg that led to the first goal. Was a crazy move.

I think Lamela was asked to come inside and play a more central role. He didn't look good there and Walker didn't have a foil on the wing.

Last edited:
Remember Poch getting fuked off with Lamela's netmeg on Townsend? Seemed strange at the time angrily replying to a reporters question, can't remember what he said. But now we know why. Poch will be brewing with Lamela after the attempted nutmeg that led to the first goal. Was a crazy move.

I think Lamela was asked to come inside and play a more central role. He didn't look good there and Walker didn't have a foil on the wing.
Walob, if we are going to play out from the back these things will happen.

Walob, if we are going to play out from the back these things will happen.

Have you seen it again? Lamela takes the ball off Dier, there are men streaming forwards, a couple of quick passes would release them. Lamela tries the nutmeg!!!!! That was the load of bolocks - the ball never went below bolocks. Never mind walob. You think that was a good move do you, as the last midfielder in front of the defence, rather than a simple pass!? Walob

Verts was also asleep.

Last edited:
Have you seen it again? Lamela takes the ball off Dier, there are men streaming forwards, a couple of quick passes would release them. Lamela tries the nutmeg. That was the load of bolocks.

It's okay on the wing attacking the box not as the only midfielder in front of the defence. Verts was also asleep however.
The Walob is the assertion that poch would moan at Lamela for losing the ball in midfield, they are under orders to play out from the back with passing, as I said if that's the orders this will will.
As we do it all the time verts should be aware of the possibility of us losing the ball and covering it. Having said that I think him and Davies got mixed up as to who should deal with it and in the end neither did.

The Walob is the assertion that poch would moan at Lamela for losing the ball in midfield, they are under orders to play out from the back with passing, as I said if that's the orders this will will.
As we do it all the time verts should be aware of the possibility of us losing the ball and covering it. Having said that I think him and Davies got mixed up as to who should deal with it and in the end neither did.

He didn't pass, he went for the spectacular trick in an exposed area. Woeful, stupid, when there were easy passes on. We don't do that all the time. Dier etc play easy balls. When have you seen them try a nutmeg pass in front of the back 4!? walob

He didn't pass, he went for the spectacular trick in an exposed area. Woeful, stupid, when there were easy passes on. We don't do that all the time. Dier etc play easy balls. When have you seen them try a nutmeg pass in front of the back 4!? walob

To my eyes that was a pass through the legs rather than a nutmeg for lamella to run into at the other side. Judging by the distance of the rebound if it had went through the legs he had no chance of catching it.

Lamela was woeful last night and should've been hauled off much earlier. He offered no support for Walker, took an eternity closing down the man on the ball and takes far too many touches when on the ball. It's like he actually has no idea what he wants to do and doesn't cope well with tight areas.

His short range passing is awful and this downfall led to the goal. I was fuming with his performance last night.

He can put a decent lofted ball in mind, see the chance for Dele. And of course the corner for the goal (surprise surprise though, he wasn't under any opponent pressure here though!!).

Lamela was woeful last night and should've been hauled off much earlier. He offered no support for Walker, took an eternity closing down the man on the ball and takes far too many touches when on the ball. It's like he actually has no idea what he wants to do and doesn't cope well with tight areas.

His short range passing is awful and this downfall led to the goal. I was fuming with his performance last night.

He can put a decent lofted ball in mind, see the chance for Dele. And of course the corner for the goal (surprise surprise though, he wasn't under any opponent pressure here though!!).

It was a bad game for him but he has shown much much more and has proven himself now

To judge him on that game alone is poor IMO... and he showed last season how good he could be on he is still on the upwards curve

Lamela sadly does have these games in his locker. We have had to put up with his mercurial attitude since he arrives.
I would give a pass on the odd one.

He was hard to love for me, I now give him some slack otherwise I would want him playing in Hull or Turin or the like. He is hard work from a supporting point of view....IMHO

It was a bad game for him but he has shown much much more and has proven himself now

To judge him on that game alone is poor IMO... and he showed last season how good he could be on he is still on the upwards curve
Agreed. It was a poor game from him last night, but you have to set that against generally very good performances over the last year.

While Lamela was largely culpable for the first goal, I thought that Pochettino got it quite badly wrong last night. He showed Monaco less respect last night than he has shown each of our PL opponents in that he picked 5 attacking and only one defensive players in his midfield and forward positions, whereas he has gone with 4 and 2 for our PL games. I thought this was a strange move considering that Monaco are better than any of the PL teams we have faced so far.

Every time Monaco played/dribbled through our initial press then they were in business with 3 against 3 situations. While Alli is a great player his natural instinct is to get forward, this left acres of space for Monaco to exploit on the counter. Dembele coming on and us reverting to our usual shape made us a lot more solid I thought and we completely controlled the game from then on.

Agreed. It was a poor game from him last night, but you have to set that against generally very good performances over the last year.

While Lamela was largely culpable for the first goal, I thought that Pochettino got it quite badly wrong last night. He showed Monaco less respect last night than he has shown each of our PL opponents in that he picked 5 attacking and only one defensive players in his midfield and forward positions, whereas he has gone with 4 and 2 for our PL games. I thought this was a strange move considering that Monaco are better than any of the PL teams we have faced so far.

Every time Monaco played/dribbled through our initial press then they were in business with 3 against 3 situations. While Alli is a great player his natural instinct is to get forward, this left acres of space for Monaco to exploit on the counter. Dembele coming on and us reverting to our usual shape made us a lot more solid I thought and we completely controlled the game from then on.

Totally spot on! It was a MAJOR (and niave) gamble by Poch yesterday to start with all four attacking midfielders. Hopefully he'll learn from that - and hopefully he wont put all the reason on our loss on any 'lack of effort'. The system at the start was to blame imo and Monaco were savvy enough to exploit it.

Onwards and upwards - we need to win well on Sunday now imo.

COYS!

He didn't help granted when he gave the ball away of course!

But Jan made a total mess of defending it. It was a good shot mind.....but schoolboy error from Jan..

Yep agree with this. Though whilst I also think Dembele improved our shape in a game that was crying out for him to control midfield. By the time he came on Monaco were more than happy to sit back and watch us pass side to side across our back 5 or 6 players. They were in control of the game so could easily afford to let Dembele have the ball in midfield, knowing their job was more to cut off the options rather than the guy on the ball.
Our build up play was very slow and even once the game got towards latters stages we struggled to use the space on the pitch as well as Monaco did.

He didn't help granted when he gave the ball away of course!

But Jan made a total mess of defending it. It was a good shot mind.....but schoolboy error from Jan..
"He didn't help"?!?.... It wasn't that he didn't help, it was that he was at least 90% of the reason why that goal was scored.... The schoolboy error was Lamela's and Lamela's alone, the few players behind him were left picking up the pieces after a shocking decision from him. Vertonghen was left as last man, 1 v 1 against a player running at him quite centrally. It looked as though Vertonghen was trying to do the right thing and show him the outside, but as last man in a central position, he couldn't risk getting too close to him and the player exploited that by cutting inside as Vertonghen was backtracking. IMO Vertonghen could not risk the foul as there was a high likelihood of him being sent off as last man if he had done so.

When Lamela picked the ball up we were in no immediate danger at all and in a good position to launch an attack. By taking an incredibly poor option, Lamela turned that promising situation for us into a 3 v 3 counter attack for Monaco. Admittedly Vertonghen could've done better, as could Davies - who made a weak attempt at winning the ball, instead of ensuring that, no matter what, he would take the player and a yellow card and allow us to regroup, but the whole team was put in a terrible place by extremely poor play by Lamela. Especially considering he had a risk free option of a pass forward right that would still have resulted in us bearing down on Monaco's defence with attacking numbers.

Back