• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

I thought it would work at Spurs, I hoped it would work at Spurs, but after his start this season I have given up on him and I think it would be best for all concerned if he went back to Italy

I don't believe anything that comes out of Italy, their "stories" are more unreliable than those the British media spin. If he did go, then I could see him landing on his feet out there.

Am hoping the rumours of a deal are BS. No need to feel rushed to sell him right now. Put him on bench for now and see how he does until January.
Still brick then, by all means sell/loan at that point.

But not now.

Am hoping the rumours of a deal are BS. No need to feel rushed to sell him right now. Put him on bench for now and see how he does until January.
Still **** then, by all means sell/loan at that point.

But not now.
The concern for me is that he is not showing solid signs of improvement. He still seems to want too much time on the ball, then usually commits a silly foul while trying to get the ball back.

I think the problem with Lamela could very well be our style of play. He is definitely not suited to this slow-tempo, possession-first style we are playing. I think he would shine more in a free-flowing system, where you have to act more instinctively. He has shown glimpses of what he can do when we play that style. But in a system where you have to patiently and deliberately break down a defense he will never come good. He doesn't seem to me the kind of player who will take on a defense a-la Bale, but rather someone who will provide the killer pass or get himself in a goal-scoring position within the context of a quick and creative passing game.

It was stupid to spend so much on Lamela based on his 1-year performance for Roma. It will be even more stupid if we sell him now for a reduced fee. We are not going to get back the money spend on him. And we are not going to sign many better players than him. So, why don't we just keep him and try to improve him. Afterall, he was our most creative player last season with 7 assists. The reason he has been very poor so far this season could be due to the fact he was involved in the Copa America and joined back very late in the pre-season.

We make more excuses for this player than most. We need to cut our losses. Lamela no be am (as they say in my country).

Reactions: DTA
It was stupid to spend so much on Lamela based on his 1-year performance for Roma. It will be even more stupid if we sell him now for a reduced fee. We are not going to get back the money spend on him. And we are not going to sign many better players than him. So, why don't we just keep him and try to improve him. Afterall, he was our most creative player last season with 7 assists. The reason he has been very poor so far this season could be due to the fact he was involved in the Copa America and joined back very late in the pre-season.

Most creative player = Eriksen

He barely played in the Copa America.

I honestly dont get why people think Lamela has/is/was creative at any point. Unless you are having a stat attack which includes corners won and taken.

Im sure people can point out 3-4 times he created a chance last year, however Dier was swinging in crosses and im sure Vertonghen threaded a few balls through, doesnt make either of those creative.

He has been an utter letdown and to me he doesnt look like its the pace that is the issue (although its part of it) its the game management. He doesnt seem to know what to do when, when to flick, when to play the percentage, when to slow play down, when to try and play a 1-2. Those things are showing him up more than the pace of the game.

He is in his third season, i dont know if the same as Soldado people have told their mates that he was going to be a superstar and now dont want to admit they were wrong, but both showed little if any improvement. Yes they try, but as ive said before chasing a lost cause isn't a quality that should keep you in a team

I honestly dont get why people think Lamela has/is/was creative at any point. Unless you are having a stat attack which includes corners won and taken.

Im sure people can point out 3-4 times he created a chance last year, however Dier was swinging in crosses and im sure Vertonghen threaded a few balls through, doesnt make either of those creative.

He has been an utter letdown and to me he doesnt look like its the pace that is the issue (although its part of it) its the game management. He doesnt seem to know what to do when, when to flick, when to play the percentage, when to slow play down, when to try and play a 1-2. Those things are showing him up more than the pace of the game.

He is in his third season, i dont know if the same as Soldado people have told their mates that he was going to be a superstar and now dont want to admit they were wrong, but both showed little if any improvement. Yes they try, but as ive said before chasing a lost cause isn't a quality that should keep you in a team

YEP..... It's shocking to see how many times he chooses the wrong option. When your asking him to move it quickly he takes a touch, when something simple is required he tries to take a man on (something he is really poor at actually), when you ask him to be brave and hold the ball up he flicks it round the corner first time, when you shout "shoot" he passes it and so on. Added to the confidence issues of often having a bad first touch, misplacing simple passes etc - it is really is super frustrating and fundamentally is the sign of someone who is not a particularly intelligent footballer, nor a good one.

He obviously has magic in those boots but they are better served on a 5 a side pitch, continental league rather than here - after 3 years he still doesnt get it and that is very worrying. Maybe he will hit a worldly goal and suddenly he will turn another corner but for me our best bet is to get rid now.

"It will be even more stupid if we sell him now for a reduced fee" - it wouldnt be as much of a reduced fee if we'd paid the right amount to start with (which you admit we overpaid)

"And we are not going to sign many better players than him" - based on performances, I think we can easily sign better players than him

"So, why don't we just keep him and try to improve him" - he's been here two years and shown no signs of improvement. Its difficult to remember any game where he's been one of our better players, let alone the best player

"Afterall, he was our most creative player last season with 7 assists" - I honestly dont believe that stat

A players performance cannot be just based on stats. It helps, but its not the whole picture. 7 Assists mean nothing if your overall contribution to the team as an attacking force is so muted. I agree that he seems like he is just not suited to the EPL or maybe our style of play.

Either way he is not showing any signs of doing it for us at all. At this moment in time he is a dead weight in the side. I do believe he has the talent, but its not working for him here.

I would like us to loan him to them. But they buyout limit has to be sanctioned by us. I can Imagine him having a good season, as I have belief he can do well there. So lets keep our options open for any possible future sale.

I think the problem with Lamela could very well be our style of play. He is definitely not suited to this slow-tempo, possession-first style we are playing. I think he would shine more in a free-flowing system, where you have to act more instinctively. He has shown glimpses of what he can do when we play that style. But in a system where you have to patiently and deliberately break down a defense he will never come good. He doesn't seem to me the kind of player who will take on a defense a-la Bale, but rather someone who will provide the killer pass or get himself in a goal-scoring position within the context of a quick and creative passing game.
I disagree completely. I have seen several occasions where Lamela has received the ball with us breaking against a disorganised and potentially outnumbered defence. On those occasions typically he has either stopped to control the ball, dragged his foot over it twice and let the opposition regroup, or simply miscontrolled the ball when receiving it or dribbling it and allowed the opposition to win it back. I think he is actually completely unsuited to playing a fast paced game (which is probably why he did well in Italy where just about every team plays a patient game).

I'd like to see Lamela in tandem with Nigel and Berahino

I'd certainly rather see him at RWF than Dembele any day

I'd like this too. I think with speedsters around him his game will pick up. The players around him all want ball to feet , they're not chasers , in fact at times they're statuesque

Back