• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Yeah sorry mistook the year - was abroad for most of that season so don't know it as well as others.

Point about wages is still fair, wages went up as we targetted established players V younger ones - so the money available for transfers was reduced.

Well we struggled to cope with the glamour ties of the CL followed by the likes of Wigan away and Stoke at home. But it wasn't a deliberate attempt to go for one competition more than the other as Jordinho seems to be suggesting. And as I mentioned previously, we also had to cope with Emirates Marketing Project who went and signed Silva, Dzeko, Tevez, Kolarov and Yaya Toure in order to ensure they didn't finish behind us again. Finishing in the top 4 agains was always going to be even more difficult than it was the previous season. We dominated possession and created plenty of chances in the games he cites above we just couldn't score, it's not like we couldn't be arsed cos it's "only West Ham".

EDIT: They signed Tevez the year before, but they also signed Balotelli, Boateng and James Milner.

Last edited:
Not sure if Lamela has a long term future at Spurs. Really disappointing he has yet to score in the league since joining us. But atleast he has got 3 assists in the league so far this season. Only 4 players have got more assists than Lamela in the league so far : Tadic(7), Fabregas(7), Sigurdsson(6) and Baines(5). Ofcourse, we should have never sold Sigurdsson after just 2 seasons.

yeah but its how many starts for lamela so far ... 10 ? lets relook after 20 starts (half a season) at least ? but yeah agree, somewhat underwhelmed, plus the errors that led to the goals. meanwhile think about bale and how he jinxed us for so long before becoming a superstar.

Not sure if Lamela has a long term future at Spurs. Really disappointing he has yet to score in the league since joining us. But atleast he has got 3 assists in the league so far this season. Only 4 players have got more assists than Lamela in the league so far : Tadic(7), Fabregas(7), Sigurdsson(6) and Baines(5). Ofcourse, we should have never sold Sigurdsson after just 2 seasons.

So we should never of sold Sigurdsson after 'just 2 seasons' but you're questioning Lamela's future at Spurs after how many games?

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

Bale was awful for large parts of his early career with us. Even at left midfield he'd have games where you wouldn't even notice him. He's still young, he's improving all the time and seems the hard working dedicated type.

Re assists, our strikers are rubbish if you believe a lot in here so not his fault they can't score, hasty judgements being made IMV

So we should never of sold Sigurdsson after 'just 2 seasons' but you're questioning Lamela's future at Spurs after how many games?

Im intrigued by this so ill ask - do you think Lamela will be a success at Spurs?

I dont and the main reason is the pace of the league. He likes to play at his own pace and that wont be allowed to happen, he needs his own ball not because he is greedy but because he needs so many touches. He hasnt changed that aspect yet.

He is a more expensive version of Bentley sorry to say. I may well be proved wrong and who knows it may only take a goal to kick start him.

Not questioning but just asking. When you consider that we sold Sigurdsson who had a far better impact with 7 goals/6 assists in his first season and 6 goals/3 assists in his second season, what chance does Lamela has of staying at Spurs ?

Im intrigued by this so ill ask - do you think Lamela will be a success at Spurs?

I dont and the main reason is the pace of the league. He likes to play at his own pace and that wont be allowed to happen, he needs his own ball not because he is greedy but because he needs so many touches. He hasnt changed that aspect yet.

He is a more expensive version of Bentley sorry to say. I may well be proved wrong and who knows it may only take a goal to kick start him.

My guy instinct says he will succeed yes. Your reasoning for your doubts are completely fair enough, but let's not forget this is his debut season as far as I'm concerned.Last season was a write off, too many inconsistencies with injury,change of management etc for me.

So,you have to really look at it this way- eight league games in,has he showed ability? End product? Yes, all he needs now is consistency to move from showing flashes of that talent to affecting whole games.

But let's not forget his age, that will come I'm sure. I think the biggest problem on this forum is the fee, because for that money people are expecting the finished article when in reality we we paying for potential.

Imagine if we'd unearthed him from Argentina and paid say 5million for him, I think most on here would be really excited about the potential of this guy...

Not questioning but just asking. When you consider that we sold Sigurdsson who had a far better impact with 7 goals/6 assists in his first season and 6 goals/3 assists in his second season, what chance does Lamela has of staying at Spurs ?

But Sigurdssons problem was that he was barely played in his best position as others were deemed better than him rightly or wrongly.

Poch has played Lamela in every league game(I think) so it's obvious he thinks highly of him and wants to develop his obvious talent. Someone said only four players have more assists in the league so he's not started badly....

My guy instinct says he will succeed yes. Your reasoning for your doubts are completely fair enough, but let's not forget this is his debut season as far as I'm concerned.Last season was a write off, too many inconsistencies with injury,change of management etc for me.

So,you have to really look at it this way- eight league games in,has he showed ability? End product? Yes, all he needs now is consistency to move from showing flashes of that talent to affecting whole games.

But let's not forget his age, that will come I'm sure. I think the biggest problem on this forum is the fee, because for that money people are expecting the finished article when in reality we we paying for potential.

Imagine if we'd unearthed him from Argentina and paid say 5million for him, I think most on here would be really excited about the potential of this guy...

He has shown some ability but thats not enough, in my view he needs to be effective at the moment he seems more effective in our own third of the pitch than the oppositions. Whilst I agree it is his first season here (last season is discounted as far as im concerned) you look at someone like Tadic who cost a third and has produced the goods already - you just wonder.

The fee is no doubt a burden but you dont go spending 30m on someone (especially in our position) where you may reap the benefits four years down the line, a year perhaps two max. I think he will turn out to be a great player but not for us unfortunately.

Bale was awful for large parts of his early career with us. Even at left midfield he'd have games where you wouldn't even notice him. He's still young, he's improving all the time and seems the hard working dedicated type.

thats a fair point, although Bale was new to the level, Lamela was an established player in a very good Roma side so I think its reasonable to expect him to be a bit further along

But Sigurdssons problem was that he was barely played in his best position as others were deemed better than him rightly or wrongly.

Poch has played Lamela in every league game(I think) so it's obvious he thinks highly of him and wants to develop his obvious talent. Someone said only four players have more assists in the league so he's not started badly....

Sig was played in the middle plenty during his first season. He replaced VDV in that position.

Based on performances for us so far:

1. Would people still buy Lamela if they had the opportunity (and I mean buy him to play him in our first XI)
2. If they had to - what would people say was a fair price to pay.

I wouldn't, as I don't think he is a player we need and there are probably better, reasonably priced players that we do need out there. .
About £7/8m

But we bought him based on his performances for Roma where he was superb... £30m? Who knows. We had the money and he has the potential. It's amazing what 10 Prem starts can do to some fans.

But we bought him based on his performances for Roma where he was superb... £30m? Who knows. We had the money and he has the potential. It's amazing what 10 Prem starts can do to some fans.

I know he scored a few goals against teams in the bottom half of Serie A, I don't think his record was anywhere near as good against teams in the top half though. But anyway it is a different league, a different type of football perhaps, and a different squad. My question is would you buy Lamela based on his performances for us, as a player -not at £30m or even 15m necessarily -because I just don't think he is player we need particularly, judging him on his performance so far. He is not that quick, he needs too much time, he is not great in tight spaces, he is not a predatory goalscorer, he is not a midfield dynamo -or a playmaker... he is not a natural left sided midfielder. I don't where his best position is - he has been tried in a few.There are plenty of (types of) players we do need - I don't think he is one of them.

Based on performances for us so far:

1. Would people still buy Lamela if they had the opportunity (and I mean buy him to play him in our first XI)
2. If they had to - what would people say was a fair price to pay.

I wouldn't, as I don't think he is a player we need and there are probably better, reasonably priced players that we do need out there. .
About £7/8m

Any other early twenties regular Argentina international attacking player you think is worth less than £10m?

Easily a £20m+ player in the current market for me.

I know he scored a few goals against teams in the bottom half of Serie A, I don't think his record was anywhere near as good against teams in the top half though. But anyway it is a different league, a different type of football perhaps, and a different squad. My question is would you buy Lamela based on his performances for us, as a player -not at £30m or even 15m necessarily -because I just don't think he is player we need particularly, judging him on his performance so far. He is not that quick, he needs too much time, he is not great in tight spaces, he is not a predatory goalscorer, he is not a midfield dynamo -or a playmaker... he is not a natural left sided midfielder. I don't where his best position is - he has been tried in a few.There are plenty of (types of) players we do need - I don't think he is one of them.

i imagine the first time you ever watched Lamela was for Spurs.. the guy on his day is unreal and if fulfills his potential will be better than Bale was here. With ease. Would I buy him? Yeah, because if we didn't have him, we'd have **** like Lennon and Townsend and lamela has more talent in his haircut than either of those technically faulted players.

He's a number 10, easily. And the best we have to play that position. I don't mind him playing on the right but centrally is his best position and him,Eriksen and Soldado should be starting every game. They are the only three players we have who are technically good.

Any other early twenties regular Argentina international attacking player you think is worth less than £10m?

Easily a £20m+ player in the current market for me.

It will be interesting to see how long he keeps his place in the Argentine team. If he keeps up his current form, not long probably. He wasn't that impressive against Brazil either. But yes, he might be valued at £20m+ -- but I don't think he is worth £20m+ based on his club form. I wouldn't buy him at all -but if I had to I would be happy/prepared to pay less than we paid for Eriksen.

I'd like it to work out -but I don't think it will. I'd rather take a loss and spend the money on other players. Same goes for Paulinho, also a regular for his national side at the time, who we wasted slightly less money on, and who is even more disappointing.

It will be interesting to see how long he keeps his place in the Argentine team. If he keeps up his current form, not long probably. He wasn't that impressive against Brazil either. But yes, he might be valued at £20m+ -- but I don't think he is worth £20m+ based on his club form. I wouldn't buy him at all -but if I had to I would be happy/prepared to pay less than we paid for Eriksen.

I'd like it to work out -but I don't think it will. I'd rather take a loss and spend the money on other players. Same goes for Paulinho, also a regular for his national side at the time, who we wasted slightly less money on, and who is even more disappointing.

Why you evaluate a player based on form, over as few games as he's had for us at that?

I would be very unhappy if we sold him at this point. Seems like Poch likes him, seems like Lamela is ready to put a ton of effort into working for Poch and making himself a proper star for us under him. He obviously has a lot of talent. Why we wouldn't want that at the club when he's already starting to deliver is a mystery to me.

Back