• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I aint no Sheikh-but lets talk weather

Sorry been busy. The leaps of logic here are not worth exploring but I might just clarify my point. In my 'not-made-up-at-all' scenario where the top 1% is removed from the picture, the next bracket does not get all their brick and carry on as before. They just lose their brick. The less monied types still have less money, produce less pollution and of course most importantly have less influence*. For someone who has a cash register for a heart, I know it is hard to envisage any other motivation that is not about wealth creation but these motivations do exist in other humans.
(*we'll come back to this later).

Population is not the problem. This is just an easy argument for those looking for an easy explanation to a complex problem. It's a deflection for the overconsuming rich. The Bangladeshi farmer takes almost zero from the carbon budget. They may even help with it, but up here in the 1st world, we are taking far far more than our fair share. We are not all the same. The issue is not with the have-nots. It is us.

So let's talk about the actual issue. It is not the pollution that a bunch of rich pricks spew into the air. That is bad, but the real problem is the malign influence these same pricks have on policy. The problem is that the 1% are invested in fossil fuels. The problem is that these pricks run the media and influence politics to such an extent that their interests are protected no matter what. 1% less rich pricks is 1% less pricks in the world, there is no backup

Hang on, the last paragraph does not scan for me. Democratic nations are set on a course aiming at carbon zero.

Where did this policy come from and how?

Sorry been busy. The leaps of logic here are not worth exploring but I might just clarify my point. In my 'not-made-up-at-all' scenario where the top 1% is removed from the picture, the next bracket does not get all their brick and carry on as before. They just lose their brick. The less monied types still have less money, produce less pollution and of course most importantly have less influence*. For someone who has a cash register for a heart, I know it is hard to envisage any other motivation that is not about wealth creation but these motivations do exist in other humans.
(*we'll come back to this later).

Population is not the problem. This is just an easy argument for those looking for an easy explanation to a complex problem. It's a deflection for the overconsuming rich. The Bangladeshi farmer takes almost zero from the carbon budget. They may even help with it, but up here in the 1st world, we are taking far far more than our fair share. We are not all the same. The issue is not with the have-nots. It is us.

So let's talk about the actual issue. It is not the pollution that a bunch of rich pricks spew into the air. That is bad, but the real problem is the malign influence these same pricks have on policy. The problem is that the 1% are invested in fossil fuels. The problem is that these pricks run the media and influence politics to such an extent that their interests are protected no matter what. 1% less rich pricks is 1% less pricks in the world, there is no backup
What do you think will happen to all the prices of those industries that emit all the carbon if the 1% isn't there?

They'll all be priced at whatever the next 1% can afford.

Hang on, the last paragraph does not scan for me. Democratic nations are set on a course aiming at carbon zero.

Where did this policy come from and how?
Net zero commitments for 2050 are sort of pointless. The whole show will be well and truly over by then. The more ambitious 2030 net zero targets are closer to what is required but depending on who you read this may also be too little too late. We know now the models were wrong and not to our benefit, unfortunately.
So I am quite cynical about these net zero commitments. Promises are one thing but the actions to back it up are not materialising. You only have to look at the Sunak's recent row back on the UK targets. Seems they were just engaging in a bit of green PR and reneging once it was in their interests to do so. It is no mystery why Sunak opened hundreds of new licenses for oil and gas recently. Infosys just signed a 1.5bil deal with BP. As I said in my previous post, rich pricks will influence policy to their advantage whenever possible.

I feel you are not on board with my eat-the-rich plan.
I'd imagine most on here would struggle to be. Apparently a net worth of less than $1m gets you into that club. That probably covers most small business owners and anyone with a house in the South East.

I'd imagine most on here would struggle to be. Apparently a net worth of less than $1m gets you into that club. That probably covers most small business owners and anyone with a house in the South East.
The 1% usually refers to income rather than wealth. You would need to earn about $60k after tax with no dependents to join the 1% club. So not an outlandish figure. I mentioned this already a few posts back.

The 1% usually refers to income rather than wealth. You would need to earn about $60k after tax with no dependents to join the 1% club. So not an outlandish figure. I mentioned this already a few posts back.
That's around £4k a month after tax then.

So that still probably includes most of those who post here. You'd probably struggle to find anyone here who thinks they are rich. Most of us are not doing the things you think we're doing to damage the environment.

That's around £4k a month after tax then.

So that still probably includes most of those who post here. You'd probably struggle to find anyone here who thinks they are rich. Most of us are not doing the things you think we're doing to damage the environment.
Well yes, the 1% are damaging the environment. That was the whole point of this discussion. The top 1% emit as much CO2 as the poorest 2/3rds. Too much flying, eating too much meat, burning too much brick, buying tat from the far side of the world. Our consumerist lifestyles are the problem whether we choose to admit it or not. Needless to say, the top 0.1% are far far worse, and they influence policy, but that does not excuse the rest of us.

Last edited:
Well yes, the 1% are damaging the environment. That was the whole point of this discussion. The top 1% emit as much as CO2 as the poorest 2/3rds. Too much flying, eating too much meat, burning too much brick, buying tat from the far side of the world. Our consumerist lifestyles are the problem whether we choose to admit it or not. Needless to say, the top 0.1% are far far worse, and they influence policy, but that does not excuse the rest of us.
For those of us who live like normal people, there's not really much we can cut out.

I'll be amazed if I've ever made more than 10 flights in a year (all necessary), I eat as little meat as I'll ever be willing to, I drive an EV and I don't buy clothes shipped halfway across the world.

I've pretty much cut to the bone in terms of emissions.

Interesting weather ahead.
If as predicted the high pressure to the north ridges sharply into Greenland overnight on Sunday it will send a cold front south over the UK. At the same time warmer air will be pushed by the jetstream from the SW. If this comes off then there is potential for a lot of snow over southern england. Worth watching out for, but a bit early to be certain just yet.

Interesting weather ahead.
If as predicted the high pressure to the north ridges sharply into Greenland overnight on Sunday it will send a cold front south over the UK. At the same time warmer air will be pushed by the jetstream from the SW. If this comes off then there is potential for a lot of snow over southern england. Worth watching out for, but a bit early to be certain just yet.
That blocking high just looks too strong to me. Maybe over the weekend it might let something in from the West at the weekend.

Re: The blocking high

Yes I agree the high is too strong at the moment. Sorry if I wasnt clear I meant the weather for next week. The changes will happen over the weekend depending on developments over North America. The effects (if any) will happen early next week, probably Monday night into Tuesday with a risk of significant snowfalls. Hard to pin it down exactly at this time, but the signs are there.

Does anyone else run regularly? I try and and go 3-4 times a week and run between 15-25 miles per week. Did 24 last week. Mentally it’s tough this time of year and the weather doesn’t help when it’s pouring with rain. I don’t mind running in the rain but it’s not much fun when it doesn’t stop the entire duration of the run. Also it’s not ideal when it’s icy. So much more flexibility in the spring and summer as to when you go can for a run. I slipped over a couple of years ago just before the clocks went forward. It was dark and I didn’t see a dip in the pavement. I have a running light but it can’t capture everything.

Does anyone else run regularly? I try and and go 3-4 times a week and run between 15-25 miles per week. Did 24 last week. Mentally it’s tough this time of year and the weather doesn’t help when it’s pouring with rain. I don’t mind running in the rain but it’s not much fun when it doesn’t stop the entire duration of the run. Also it’s not ideal when it’s icy. So much more flexibility in the spring and summer as to when you go can for a run. I slipped over a couple of years ago just before the clocks went forward. It was dark and I didn’t see a dip in the pavement. I have a running light but it can’t capture everything.
Good for you, exercise is beneficial in so many ways. I dont run anymore but walk 15-20 miles a week. In the summer I will go out on the bicycle, early mornings before the cycle paths are full of dog walkers and prams. It also helps to be able to see all the potholes and broken glass.

Looks like it will be cold this week but the low to the SW is likely to track towards Northern France. Wouldnt rule out the odd snow shower south of the M4 but no major snow event for the south. It looked likely a few days ago, but thats weather for you. Back to warmer wetter again next weekend with average temps.

That's what treadmills are for

Back