• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hugo Lloris

Re: Ratings against man u

I really don't get why people obsess over distribution. Yes it's important and Friedel's distribution was poor on Saturday, but for me personally, it's way down on the list of attributes I want my keeper to be good at. I'd rather he better at decision making for example and shot stopping.

ArcspacE is quickly becoming the biggest wum on this forum.. his anti friedel agenda is absolute lunacy.

Rubbish. ArcspacE has never given him lower than a 6 whereas others have. In fact by the time he posted his ratings he was the 4th person in this thread to give him a 6.

When Friedel makes at least one howler and/or cost us points.

I think it's wrong to judge a player's form on one incident in 90 minutes of football. That does not build confidence within a squad, players worrying about not making a mistake or they're out of the team. AVB and his team will re-watch our games and analyse them, giving them a much better idea of how everyone performed. Selection should come as a result of application in training and overall performances in matches. If/when the time comes that the coaching staff feel Lloris is a better choice he will play.

I think it's wrong to judge a player's form on one incident in 90 minutes of football. That does not build confidence within a squad, players worrying about not making a mistake or they're out of the team. AVB and his team will re-watch our games and analyse them, giving them a much better idea of how everyone performed. Selection should come as a result of application in training and overall performances in matches. If/when the time comes that the coaching staff feel Lloris is a better choice he will play.

Of course, but anyone thinks Friedel's form has been anything other than very good this season, then they haven't been paying enough attention to our games.

Some Spurs fans are making mountains out of molehills when it comes to Friedel and every mistake or slight error is magnified to such an extent purely because they want Lloris in goal. I really don't see why it's a problem, Friedel keeps playing well and we get positive results = win, Friedel starts playing badly and is replaced by a world class keeper in Lloris = win.

Of course, but anyone thinks Friedel's form has been anything other than very good this season, then they haven't been paying enough attention to our games.

Some Spurs fans are making mountains out of molehills when it comes to Friedel and every mistake or slight error is magnified to such an extent purely because they want Lloris in goal. I really don't see why it's a problem, Friedel keeps playing well and we get positive results = win, Friedel starts playing badly and is replaced by a world class keeper in Lloris = win.

Could not agree more, its like a bloody witch hunt.

Could not agree more, its like a bloody witch hunt.

It is becoming real annoying, like they are hoping he will fail and mind you there is no guarantee that Lloris will come in and settle straight away and not make mistakes of his own

I keep reading a lot of comments after every match that Friedel's distribution is poor but what exactly is he meant to do? Whenever he has a fullback or winger as an outlet available that is where he goes if not he usually just kicks it long and of course we aren't winning many of those but how can we expect to when Defoe is playing on his own?

When Lloris played against Lazio granted he had very little to do but I didn't see a bit of difference with his distribution

Last edited:

It is becoming real annoying, like they are hoping he will fail and mind you there is no guarantee that Lloris will come in and settle straight away and not make mistakes of his own

i don't really understand how it looks like that - he is getting scored almost identically to how he was last season - an average of 7 with some posters scoring either side as they are either generally more critical or more positive.

as i have said before, most of the people bemoaning Friedels supposed harsh treatment wouldn't be picking up on these ratings if there was no Lloris waiting to come in to the side - i genuinely think you are looking for trouble where there is none. every game, same as last season, Friedel will be getting 6/7/8 - but this season as soon as someone gives him a 6 it becomes a big deal with people posting about haters and other derisory comments throughout the thread, meaning people like myself have to defend my/our ratings - which quite frankly is so pathetic i don't know why i bother.

i don't really understand how it looks like that - he is getting scored almost identically to how he was last season - an average of 7 with some posters scoring either side as they are either generally more critical or more positive.

as i have said before, most of the people bemoaning Friedels supposed harsh treatment wouldn't be picking up on these ratings if there was no Lloris waiting to come in to the side - i genuinely think you are looking for trouble where there is none. every game, same as last season, Friedel will be getting 6/7/8 - but this season as soon as someone gives him a 6 it becomes a big deal with people posting about haters and other derisory comments throughout the thread, meaning people like myself have to defend my/our ratings - which quite frankly is so pathetic i don't know why i bother.

It is not so much the ratings as the comments. I don't think he has let in a goal that he can truly be faulted for yet there are some that nitpick every goal as he (or notably Lloris) can do better. Like a few pages back about the Kagawa goal and his distrbution. He doesn't have any other options besides rolling it out to a fullback as Defoe isn't going to win anything in the air.

I keep reading a lot of comments after every match that Friedel's distribution is poor but what exactly is he meant to do? Whenever he has a fullback or winger as an outlet available that is where he goes if not he usually just kicks it long and of course we aren't winning many of those but how can we expect to when Defoe is playing on his own?

When Lloris played against Lazio granted he had very little to do but I didn't see a bit of difference with his distribution

To be fair, he kept kicking it to Lennon who's a midget rather than kick it to Bale who's over 6 foot.

But I said earlier that whilst I believe distribution is important, it's not the be all and end all if a keeper isn't the best at it.

It is not so much the ratings as the comments. I don't think he has let in a goal that he can truly be faulted for yet there are some that nitpick every goal as he (or notably Lloris) can do better. Like a few pages back about the Kagawa goal and his distrbution. He doesn't have any other options besides rolling it out to a fullback as Defoe isn't going to win anything in the air.

you're right there, but i guess that some people see it that Lloris would/could save some of them. If he is all he is cracked up to be (and keeping in my that Arc says he has seen him play for Lyon a fair bit, to make a fair judgment as to his abilities) then i can see why some people would be commenting on it.

my opinion basically comes down to that i think Friedel will make the saves you expect of a goalkeeper at this level, he is solid and reliable - but he still lets in a fair few that a 'top' goalkeeper would save - now you can't blame a goalkeeper for not pulling off fantastic worldly saves all the time but if you have a goalkeeper sitting on the bench who you believe will save more of those types of shots then i think it's only natural to see people mention it.

take Gomes for example, someone i think we can all probably agree that if he didn't make the mistakes he became famous for, he would most likely be first choice for us, as attribute wise he is our best goalkeeper? (up till last season anyway) but Friedel has the reliability that Gomes lacked, which the team needed - so we sacrificed those extra special abilities for a more consistent performer - and it worked, was something which really benefited us. now we have a new goalkeeper here that's meant to have abilities that Gomes had, so let's get him in the team and see if he can be as reliable as Friedel. because if he is that reliable and also has that ability then that is one hell of a goalkeeper sitting on our bench.

Last edited:

That's precisely what I want him to do. All the time.

If the options aren't there then I want him to move 5-10 yards until the angles are there. I don't think anyone's talking about dropping 60yd passes on a sixpence when they talk of distribution, just doing the simple things and keeping the ball on the floor where we can do damage.

you're right there, but i guess that some people see it that Lloris would/could save some of them. If he is all he is cracked up to be (and keeping in my that Arc says he has seen him play for Lyon a fair bit, to make a fair judgment as to his abilities) then i can see why some people would be commenting on it.

Maybe I wasn't paying attention but I don't recall many people calling for us to sign Lloris before we were linked to him. Even during the Euros, when a lot of people would have seen him for the first time, he didn't really stand out or get people calling for us to get him.

not quite sure what relevance that has mate

i would have thought that most people who were aware of Lloris before we were linked would have thought it an entirely unrealistic signing - just look through the thread from when he signed and note the disbelief that the deal had gone through - even when we were first linked i didn't pay too much attention as i thought there was no way we would be in with a chance of getting him - we may as well been talking Neymar up as a potential signing

you have also got to keep in mind that GK hasn't really been a pressing concern over the past season and most people tend to spend their time fantasizing about who our next forward, attacking midfielder etc will be than the less glamorous goalkeeping slot

Last edited:

Maybe I wasn't paying attention but I don't recall many people calling for us to sign Lloris before we were linked to him. Even during the Euros, when a lot of people would have seen him for the first time, he didn't really stand out or get people calling for us to get him.

I could be nit-picking here - but what does the number of people who 'called him' on a message board have to do with his ability as a keeper?

Personally I thought we don't stand a chance - and only stand half-a-chance with CL football, which we didn't have.

EDIT: Myself and GB called Mandzukic 3 years ago and no-one noticed (except the FM idiotic comments) - so it can work either way really

Last edited:

I could be nit-picking here - but what does the number of people who 'called him' on a message board have to do with his ability as a keeper?

Personally I thought we don't stand a chance - and only stand half-a-chance with CL football, which we didn't have.

EDIT: Myself and GB called Mandzukic 3 years ago and no-one noticed (except the FM idiotic comments) - so it can work either way really

Fair comments, I don't know really where I was going with that.

I've moved the Lloris posts from the match ratings thread to this one. Hope no one minds

Back