• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hugo Lloris

I think his performances have been in line with the rest of the squad, with the exception of Harry Kane. That's to say, pretty average overall. Of course, as a goalkeeper, it's worse because just about every mistake leads to a goal, but I'd say the amount of mistakes he's made would compare with other players.
I just can’t agree
His have been worse and he sets the tone for the team in the same way kane does as striker
He has failed in the basics and he is the captain, leader and most experienced member
If he was conceding goals from a lot of shots and good shots I’d agree. He wasn’t
He, for some reason this season has frequently been playing in his heels rather than his toes. That’s not how he has played his whole career. It’s why he falls backwards so much. Just odd

I just can’t agree
His have been worse and he sets the tone for the team in the same way kane does as striker
He has failed in the basics and he is the captain, leader and most experienced member
If he was conceding goals from a lot of shots and good shots I’d agree. He wasn’t
He, for some reason this season has frequently been playing in his heels rather than his toes. That’s not how he has played his whole career. It’s why he falls backwards so much. Just odd

I have always thought keepers "just go", they're looking good and then in one game they look dodgy and it's a downward slide in form and confidence.

I just can’t agree

Lloris has changed over the years and so has the way we play, probably would require a deep amount of analysis without bias to get to something relevant as a conclusion, e.g. is it all Lloris or us moving away from a style/system he can play in plus his natural deterioration with age

My biased recollection below

- Pre Friedel we had a brick show of keepers for some time
- We got Friedel in who was a decent consistent keeper that stuck to his line (pretty much never came for anything)
- We got Lloris who initially had a reputation of a sweeper keeper, came out a lot, would cover the high lines, cut out stuff
- Always a good top tier shot stopper
- His kicking/distribution was always a weak part of his game
- After a few years there was some questions around his vulnerability to shots low & close to him (he tended to use his hands for low vs. feet)
- Certainly under Jose to Conte era he's become stuck to his line (don't see the sweeper keeper anymore)
- He's actually adapted to a few more foot saves now (improvement)
- Unfortunately his handling, positioning and reactions have deteriorated
- a notable mention is his game was falling off before the elbow injury a few years back, he came back much improved and then dropped off again (sign that it's mental/fatigue?)

I think he's got older, modern football requires better distribution, play out from the back and around a press (something he never was good at), our defense has sat deeper under the "pragmatic" managers of last few years which puts him under more pressure and doesn't leverage the sweeper side of his game (not sure he's good at that anymore anyway).

Great club servant but if money/priorities had allowed, we should have swapped to a more modern game suited keeper 2-3 years ago.

Lloris has changed over the years and so has the way we play, probably would require a deep amount of analysis without bias to get to something relevant as a conclusion, e.g. is it all Lloris or us moving away from a style/system he can play in plus his natural deterioration with age

My biased recollection below

- Pre Friedel we had a brick show of keepers for some time
- We got Friedel in who was a decent consistent keeper that stuck to his line (pretty much never came for anything)
- We got Lloris who initially had a reputation of a sweeper keeper, came out a lot, would cover the high lines, cut out stuff
- Always a good top tier shot stopper
- His kicking/distribution was always a weak part of his game
- After a few years there was some questions around his vulnerability to shots low & close to him (he tended to use his hands for low vs. feet)
- Certainly under Jose to Conte era he's become stuck to his line (don't see the sweeper keeper anymore)
- He's actually adapted to a few more foot saves now (improvement)
- Unfortunately his handling, positioning and reactions have deteriorated
- a notable mention is his game was falling off before the elbow injury a few years back, he came back much improved and then dropped off again (sign that it's mental/fatigue?)

I think he's got older, modern football requires better distribution, play out from the back and around a press (something he never was good at), our defense has sat deeper under the "pragmatic" managers of last few years which puts him under more pressure and doesn't leverage the sweeper side of his game (not sure he's good at that anymore anyway).

Great club servant but if money/priorities had allowed, we should have swapped to a more modern game suited keeper 2-3 years ago.
For me has been elite for some time but can make mistakes like every player
His kicking has leats been an issue
This season he has changed his standing stance and it’s genuinely an odd way of playing and something you wouldn’t change at his age IMO
He is like de gea in the vampire bracket (crosses hurt them)
Keeper was one area where aged became and advantage buy strangely not thats flipped with CFs it seems

Don’t get me wrong, I’m definitely not making the argument he should be number 1 next season. We need to buy a new goalkeeper. But stuff about him looking like he’s going to cry, being mentally weak etc are all bizarre comments to me.

Yeh I agree with this, nothing is ever levelled out with the fact that in games where he has made mistakes he very often made a high volume of saves such was the nature of our performances at times. I am not saying that he should be forgiven for his sins but I think there should be more balance than the barstool theories of mental weakness to hammer him more. I would say his serious elbow injury back a couple of years back probably played a greater part in his confidence as a keeper than anything else

Yeh I agree with this, nothing is ever levelled out with the fact that in games where he has made mistakes he very often made a high volume of saves such was the nature of our performances at times. I am not saying that he should be forgiven for his sins but I think there should be more balance than the barstool theories of mental weakness to hammer him more. I would say his serious elbow injury back a couple of years back probably played a greater part in his confidence as a keeper than anything else

the volume of shots is an excuse
In the arsenal game it was the 3rd shot of the game
Vs Saudi Sportswashing Machine he let in every shot at him
Vs villa… it was their first shot on target IIRC that he spilled
He came back well from the elbow injury

the volume of shots is an excuse
In the arsenal game it was the 3rd shot of the game
Vs Saudi Sportswashing Machine he let in every shot at him
Vs villa… it was their first shot on target IIRC that he spilled
He came back well from the elbow injury

Its only an excuse if you are using it as one, I am not (should not forgive him for his sins). I am saying he still makes a high volume of saves which he does, he also makes alot of mistakes, he does. There is no excuse there.

This is my only problem with your arguments. You're singling out Hugo in our worst match in possibly 10? 15? 20? years. He was as bad -- everyone was. His performance was on par with everyone else, and I think that's true of the whole season.

And equally when he has good games, which he does on occasion rarely people come with the same level of smoke as the kids say. I suppose thats just the nature of the beast. Although I do think regardless of decline Lloris has had to fight hard for recognition with fans, most went with the "lucky" CL run rather than credit him and Son for pretty much being heroic at both ends, well Moura took away all the plaudits I suppose but Lloris certainly never got the credit he deserved for performances in that comp that year

This is my only problem with your arguments. You're singling out Hugo in our worst match in possibly 10? 15? 20? years. He was as bad -- everyone was. His performance was on par with everyone else, and I think that's true of the whole season.
But it wouldn’t have been our worst match if he did the basics
They weren’t scoring worldie shots
He didn’t even move in some cases
Honestly he was so bad and has been this season
Last season he had some brilliant games and made barely a mistake of note

Last edited:
I've been moaning about Lloris being on his heels for a few years now.
Rather than proactively coming forwards to attack the ball as he saves it, he falls back to buy extra milliseconds to react to the flight; then if there is any rebound he is falling back on his bum rather than coming forward and being part of the game.

I've been moaning about Lloris being on his heels for a few years now.
Rather than proactively coming forwards to attack the ball as he saves it, he falls back to buy extra milliseconds to react to the flight; then if there is any rebound he is falling back on his bum rather than coming forward and being part of the game.
Yep
Brighton’s header the other week was a classic one
He went to the cross.. panicked… went backwards and fell into the goal because his feet were completely wrong

Good luck to him when/if he goes, been a great keeper but his time at the top level has gone (imo).

1, Jennings
2, Clemence
3, Lloris.

Is my list of our top keepers over the years.

Back