• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hugo Lloris

If you look at his pass completion and compare him to other keepers he's pretty bad.
Szczesny 62.3%, Boruc 60.3%, De Gea 59.8%
Lloris's is 43.6%
Only 4 keepers have worse rates than him.

Is hopefully something he'll improve on. Distribution is pretty important, it's much more difficult for your opponents to hurt you when they don't have the ball.

To be honest it could be said about quite a few of our players.

I agree that Hugo is the best, I don't think he is as good a shot stopper as De Gea but he betters the Spaniard in every other department. Personally I was stunned when he wasn't played, even more stunned that we signed him, really was a massive signing and I don't think many on here or even in the country didn't realise just how big a signing he was at the time.

Either way, well played by AVB.

pXSEK.gif

Yup. I knew. I'd been following his career since the first time that he almost came to us. I knew he was one of the best keepers in the World and certainly, in my view, the best keeper that we could sign. He's gone on to impress the majority of his critics and to prove those who supported him right.

He seems to have the opposite amount of concentration possessed by Kyle Walker. Lloris is alert to any danger, coming out of his goal quickly to avert danger. Sure, he may cost us occasionally doing this but he'll cost us far less times than he'll save us goals.

He seems to be happy at the club for now. I just hope he's with us for many years to come.

I reckon he'll be at Monaco by the end of next summer's transfer window if we don't qualify for the Champions League.
I think he's the most likely of our big names to move on.

Are Monaco still flush? How did that tax thingie pan out?

Last edited:
I think the main thing is his distribution, his throwing's good but his kicking was all over the place today. Top class keeper but this is his weakness for me at the moment.

Agreed. Not surprising to see that Hugo's long ball completion success rate is the 3rd worst in the Premier League at just 25% so far this campaign (last season he finished on 32% with 97/307 averaging 3.6 per game).

Accurate Long Balls per gameTotal accurate Long BallsTotal attempted Long BallsCompletion percentage
Guzan8.86618835%
Krul7.35812248%
Myhill6.2378046%
Speroni6.04813336%
Szczesny5.5449646%
Stockdale5.4389440%
Boruc5.44311139%
Begovic5.04010937%
De Gea5.0409243%
McGregor4.43511331%
Ruddy4.43512528%
Jääskeläinen4.3349337%
Lloris4.03212625%
Hart3.9319234%
Westwood3.93112525%
Howard3.8308436%
Cech3.6298136%
Mignolet3.62910328%
Marshall3.12211020%
Vorm2.6214844%

Last edited:
Agreed. Not surprising to see that Hugo's long ball completion success rate is the 3rd worst in the Premier League at just 25% so far this campaign (last season he finished on 32% with 97/307 averaging 3.6 per game).

Accurate Long Balls per gameTotal accurate Long BallsTotal attempted Long BallsCompletion percentage
Guzan8.86618835%
Krul7.35812248%
Myhill6.2378046%
Speroni6.04813336%
Szczesny5.5449646%
Stockdale5.4389440%
Boruc5.44311139%
Begovic5.04010937%
De Gea5.0409243%
McGregor4.43511331%
Ruddy4.43512528%
Jääskeläinen4.3349337%
Lloris4.03212625%
Hart3.9319234%
Westwood3.93112525%
Howard3.8308436%
Cech3.6298136%
Mignolet3.62910328%
Marshall3.12211020%
Vorm2.6214844%

Great stats. The question is why cant he just play it short most of the time instead. Look at Vorm he has no interest in hoofing it. Its really the way we're set up with no one wanting to receive the ball off him.

To be fair distribution is the least important attribute of a GK, I don't think I'd swap lloris for anyone at the moment, he just completely suits us and our style of play.

Well, we don't exactly have any big men in attack that will win many long balls, do we? I agree that he had a couple of poor kicks against Villa, but our lack of aerial strength in the forward position also plays a big part in these stats I would imagine. We lose most aerial battles with Soldado, Eriksen/Holtby, Sigurdsson and Townsend up there. When they don't get their head on the ball first, that is a failed pass for Lloris.

Which begs the question as to why he's attempting them in the first place? With Chadli it made a bit more sense but a front four of Soldado, Siggy, Holtby and Townsend aren't going to win many aerial balls.

Which begs the question as to why he's attempting them in the first place? With Chadli it made a bit more sense but a front four of Soldado, Siggy, Holtby and Townsend aren't going to win many aerial balls.

Teams often close us down, making it difficult for Lloris to find a short option. West Ham, in particular, were excellent at it. Often he is simply forced to play the long ball, as the short option will be too risky.

It makes no sense to me, especially if Chiriches is playing.

Not sure about yesterday, but against West Ham he continually hoofed it up to an opponent or out for a throw when he could have thrown or passed to one of our back four.

West Ham didn't even have a player in our half most of the time FFS!!!

If out game is based on possession then perhaps not giving the ball away cheaply from the back might be something to think about?

Great stats. The question is why cant he just play it short most of the time instead. Look at Vorm he has no interest in hoofing it. Its really the way we're set up with no one wanting to receive the ball off him.

It does seem a bit odd considering the emphasis AVB places upon maintaining possession that our (otherwise excellent) sweeper-keeper is forced to attempt long passes most of the time. As Hugo' short passing is very good with 43 of 46 attempts successful (93%) which is almost right up there with Neuer' amazing record of 166 from 168 (99%). However Manuel is almost 3x as likely to find a teammate with his long passes and is 54 of 75 attempts so far this season (72%).

The problem is how many balls we give back to him when we really don't need to. It frustrates me how we are in comfortable possession and we still end up playing back to Lloris to hoof.

I think those stats are skewed hence I hate stats. Lloris isnt the best at kicking but those stats are skewed as Lloris doesnt aimlessly kick it in the middle of the park, he tries to pick a pass out specifically on the wings. That in itself increases the chances of misplacing those passes. Had Lloris continued to kick out in the middle of the park, as there are more players there, he will increase those stats.

I think those stats are skewed hence I hate stats. Lloris isnt the best at kicking but those stats are skewed as Lloris doesnt aimlessly kick it in the middle of the park, he tries to pick a pass out specifically on the wings. That in itself increases the chances of misplacing those passes. Had Lloris continued to kick out in the middle of the park, as there are more players there, he will increase those stats.

He misses far more often than not while 'trying to find players on the wings' so what's the point? I'm a bit **** at long passing, I could try amazing 50 yard crossfield passes and tell my team-mates that I'm not just hoofing it but trying to pick out a pass or I could acknowledge both my own shortcomings and that of my team and go for the short one to maintain possession.

Even if we go with the earlier theory that the reason he kicks it long is because the pressure from other teams on our defenders is so great (which I don't agree with, I don't think we're uniquely pressed and we should have enough players and technical ability to more often than not play our way out from the back) but far too often we'll pass the ball around the back, up to one of the cms, back to a cb and back to Lloris. Who proceeds to hoof it.

What's the point? Keep it short.

Back