• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Homebrewing

I home brewed for years, graduating from kits in the early 1980's to full mash brewing up until a few years ago. I found that the problem was, whilst I was brewing some really lovely beer, I simply drank too much of it, gained weight and ended up with type 2 diabetes. I used to have some great recipes for a Marstons Pedigree knock off and a Fullers ESB , and whilst they weren't exactly the same, they were a lovely drink. Its great fun and if you like good beer I would encourage anyone to have a go.

I just don't get it. My time is far more valuable (both personally and objectively) than that of those people paid a pittance to make this stuff for me.

That means my beer/wine would have to be much, much better than that which I can buy from Waitrose, and I know before I start that it won't be.
I can afford to put away one evening every other month to get a brew going.
I suppose you have hobbies too, other than socializing with us idiots here?
Sometimes I play golf as well, even though the guys on PGA do it better than me, I still enjoy it.

Besides, I'm not a cash millionaire, brewing will save me money in the long run. I made 5 gallons from £45 worth of grains. Store bought here would cost me £200.

I home brewed for years, graduating from kits in the early 1980's to full mash brewing up until a few years ago. I found that the problem was, whilst I was brewing some really lovely beer, I simply drank too much of it, gained weight and ended up with type 2 diabetes. I used to have some great recipes for a Marstons Pedigree knock off and a Fullers ESB , and whilst they weren't exactly the same, they were a lovely drink. Its great fun and if you like good beer I would encourage anyone to have a go.
Sorry to hear about your diabetes. I'm only had one brew so far and I made mistakes along the way, but it turned out surprisingly well. It's simpler than I thought!

I can afford to put away one evening every other month to get a brew going.
I suppose you have hobbies too, other than socializing with us idiots here?
Sometimes I play golf as well, even though the guys on PGA do it better than me, I still enjoy it.

Besides, I'm not a cash millionaire, brewing will save me money in the long run. I made 5 gallons from £45 worth of grains. Store bought here would cost me £200.
Golf is better to play than to watch. In fact, it's an awful spectator sport.

Surely the one and only point of alcoholic drinks is drinking them?

Golf is better to play than to watch. In fact, it's an awful spectator sport.

Surely the one and only point of alcoholic drinks is drinking them?
A bit like food, sure I like having it prepared, preferably at a restaurant, but I can make some decent stuff myself as well. At a fraction of the cost.

Brewed my christmas beer just now, the worth is pouring into the bucket as we speak.

Petit_JuleAle_oppskrift.jpg

I've always thought about doing something like this. What would you recommend for a complete and utter novice?

I've always thought about doing something like this. What would you recommend for a complete and utter novice?

I'm a complete novice. Bought this

vestbrygg-DSC-0332-web.jpg

It's called BIAB, brew in a bag, and it's a cheap way to get started. If you got money to spend, check out Speidel. Google BIAB and Speidel, watch some youtube vids and see what would suit your wallet / kitchen the best.

I'm a complete novice. Bought this

vestbrygg-DSC-0332-web.jpg

It's called BIAB, brew in a bag, and it's a cheap way to get started. If you got money to spend, check out Speidel. Google BIAB and Speidel, watch some youtube vids and see what would suit your wallet / kitchen the best.
Why didn't you say this hobby came with gadgets? Now I'm interested.

Back