• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hillsborough Disaster

Would you feel the same about the families of other accident victims claiming compensation?

If there was an train accident caused by the rail company not carrying out proper maintenance and safety checks, would you be against the families of those who died suing for compensation?
Compensation won't bring back the dead, neither will it stop it happening again. It will line the pockets of a few people and further inflate the ratcheting size of the compensation culture industry.

If those claiming had to pay costs for both sides if they lost I'd be marginally less disgusted by it.

Would you feel the same about the families of other accident victims claiming compensation?

If there was an train accident caused by the rail company not carrying out proper maintenance and safety checks, would you be against the families of those who died suing for compensation?

We are not talking about that though are we, we are talking about something that happened 27 years ago and for that long the familys have been asking for the truth. They got the answer they wanted but now want to carry it on for more years when they have been asking for the truth all along, as I say some now see the pound signs in the far distance.

You would think that they would now want to get on with their lives not spend more years going through yet more courts.

We are not talking about that though are we, we are talking about something that happened 27 years ago and for that long the familys have been asking for the truth. They got the answer they wanted but now want to carry it on for more years when they have been asking for the truth all along, as I say some now see the pound signs in the far distance.

You would think that they would now want to get on with their lives not spend more years going through yet more courts.

So to make it a closer fit, what if the rail company covered up their malpractice and there was a long struggle for that to be recognised?

Compensation won't bring back the dead, neither will it stop it happening again. It will line the pockets of a few people and further inflate the ratcheting size of the compensation culture industry.

If those claiming had to pay costs for both sides if they lost I'd be marginally less disgusted by it.

I don't know the ins and outs of the families situations but I would assume that there were people there who were left without the main breadwinner as a result of what happened that day. It is also possible that the families campaigning for the truth to be recognised, have had their earnings and career prospects damaged by the amount of time that it has taken. That is before we get to the stress and grief that they must have suffered.

So to make it a closer fit, what if the rail company covered up their malpractice and there was a long struggle for that to be recognised?

Why are you ignoring the fact that it is not about a railroad its about the events of 27 years ago, seems to me you are trying to divert what I have been saying.

Without wanting to get too "meta" here, I'm a little surprised that you're shocked.

I don't think I've ever behaved in a manner that would lead anyone to think I consider compassion to be anything other than wasted energy. It's a thoroughly pointless set of emotions that have no benefit in life. I wouldn't want anyone's pity in such a situation and I'm sure they don't want mine.

(Yes, I have been drinking but I mean what I'm saying)

Lacking empathy is, indeed, something some do. I would venture to say that stating what you would, or would not, want in the face of such tragedy is dodgy turf. The truth is, you really don't know and hopefully won't ever have to. Thus judging the reactions of others in such situations is a dangerous game.

Why are you ignoring the fact that it is not about a railroad its about the events of 27 years ago, seems to me you are trying to divert what I have been saying.

Not at all. I am trying to work out whether you are against compensation for the families of people who die due to the mistakes of people who have a duty of care or whether it is just this instance where you think it is wrong.

Not at all. I am trying to work out whether you are against compensation for the families of people who die due to the mistakes of people who have a duty of care or whether it is just this instance where you think it is wrong.

You are talking about a hypothetical situation with the railways I am talking about what is real and happening. Generally when folks try and divert away from the subject its a sign that they are losing the debate. Anyway there is not much point in carrying this on so I am out of it.

You are talking about a hypothetical situation with the railways I am talking about what is real and happening. Generally when folks try and divert away from the subject its a sign that they are losing the debate. Anyway there is not much point in carrying this on so I am out of it.

The reason why I used a hypothetical situation was because it is less contentious and that might enable us to discuss your views on compensation generally. I am interested in whether you view the Hillsborough families differently to others who suffer a bereavement because of malpractice. I think that it is a shame that you don't want to discuss that but of course, it is your choice.

hqdefault.jpg

I don't know the ins and outs of the families situations but I would assume that there were people there who were left without the main breadwinner as a result of what happened that day. It is also possible that the families campaigning for the truth to be recognised, have had their earnings and career prospects damaged by the amount of time that it has taken. That is before we get to the stress and grief that they must have suffered.
I disagree with financial compensation in general - especially when the issue is a result of a mistake.

The very most I could accept would be in those cases where a breadwinner was lost. If they could prove that there would have been earnings that no other family member could possibly have made under any circumstances then I could live with that being the very limit of any payout.

If someone has chosen to spend their life campaigning instead of earning money that's their choice. Taxpayers certainly shouldn't be paying out compensation for that.

Still going strong on the news. The victims really loving all this attention to their 27 year old cup final!!

I thought this inquest just showed that standing or sitting had nothing to do with what happened? It was just too many people in a confined area.

This is the crux of it for me in that article :

"The Hillsborough inquests did not find standing to be inherently unsafe, with poor policing blamed for the disaster".

I am wholly supportive of the families in their battles with the authorities over the past 27 years. However you can’t pick and choose bits of the verdicts to suit a narrative. If the inquest(s) did indeed find that standing is not inherently unsafe and that other factors/actions were to blame for the tragedy of that day, then surely it is wrong to continue to argue that standing is unsafe, and to say “We will always oppose any form of standing” (the logical continuation of that sentence seemingly being “because of what happened on that day)?

Standing can be/ is safe. Hopefully the Celtic experiment will eventually be rolled out within Scotland and then, eventually, years later no doubt, in England.

Back