• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Have we finally grown a pair?

Exactly in 10 games time or even the rest of this season. The evidence is pointing towards that but Chelscum will be a test... I hate losing and dont wanna go there with a lose mentality but if we go there and get hammered thats another story...

I agree, its well worth coming back to this thread in 10 games time and seeing how we all think we have played.

We were so fast and aggressive in the tackle yesterday it was so good to see. 5 of our players got yellow cards yesterday!

I really hope POCH has found the foundation of his team now.

We've always had a pair, they've just been hiding behind some baggy boxers. But yesterday we ditched that for a tight pair and you could really see the cut of our jib.

Passionate bunch today, really showed what it meant to be Spurs.

Hopefully we have turned a corner.....there will still be off days I feel, but I see some real character amongst the young lads like Kane, Mason and Bentaleb which will be vital in the times ahead. They are our heart.

We've always had a pair, they've just been hiding behind some baggy boxers. But yesterday we ditched that for a tight pair and you could really see the cut of our jib.

Passionate bunch today, really showed what it meant to be Spurs.

I think its about getting the critical mass of people who give a ****, who put in the effort, who hate it when they lose.

I don't know - Lennon's best ever performances were in front of Corluka. Lennon and Walker have never been as good a pair because they want to run into the same space.

finally, something we agree on

this is true. walkers first instinct in to overlap lennon already bringing his player into lennon's work station...it might be good for walker but not for lennon.....and at the end of it all walker will more often than not have just the outside to work with...and then you neutralise lennon....if lennon was like a chamberlain or cazorla type player or even routledge then by all means ....get that overlapper....

this isnt to say we shouldnt play walker..far from it...but walkers first thought is to let lennon be lennon and then help if necessary.....when the time comes

what we need to do as often as possible is to isolate lennon with the full back..when that isnt possible then get others into the frame

finally, something we agree on

this is true. walkers first instinct in to overlap lennon already bringing his player into lennon's work station...it might be good for walker but not for lennon.....and at the end of it all walker will more often than not have just the outside to work with...and then you neutralise lennon....if lennon was like a chamberlain or cazorla type player or even routledge then by all means ....get that overlapper....

this isnt to say we shouldnt play walker..far from it...but walkers first thought is to let lennon be lennon and then help if necessary.....when the time comes

what we need to do as often as possible is to isolate lennon with the full back..when that isnt possible then get others into the frame

Agreed, I think Sunday showed the value of a FB that defends, we don't need the suicidal FB play if our midfield can move the ball quickly enough and leverage Lennon and/or Eriksen

A pair of balls? I was just watching highlights of when Spurs played Benfica away last year.

They scored and we were 4-1 behind on aggregate, suddenly Kane header, Chadli scores, then Kane header, Chadli scores. Sigg is trying to get on the end of things, Lennon is buzzing around at pace, Bentaleb is charging around, Rose is bombing up from left back, Naughton is getting forward, we're really going for it and... showing some balls.

Sigg is inches away a couple of times, Kane should have had a penalty, Benfica and Luizao are panicked.

Bizarrely Sandro and Fryers (remember him?) are at centre back and Sandro tried to eat one of their forwards near the end, and Friedel didn't save the penalty surprisingly...

Then Sherwood was chatting up the old ladies in the stand and pointing out that their manager didn't look so suave this time, all very silly stuff. But forget all that, just remember the balls we showed, big ones.

But it is amazing how a team can transform when they put in the energy and show some balls.

It's not cheats or dirty players we want but players who know the value of attitude and physical presence. When I think of the teams we had who won things we had plenty of them
Early 60's 60/70's 80's 91 08
Baker Beal Perryman Van den Hauwe Hutton
Norman Kinnear Hughton Sedgley Woodgate
Mackay Knowles Miller Stewart Zokora
Jones England Roberts Samways Malbranque
Smith Mullery Galvin Gascoigne Berbetov
Dyson Gilzean Crooks Allen
Archibald Howells

Lot of skilful players there but they had that little bit of devil in them.

Tottenham Hotspur are the dirtiest team in the Barclays Premier League, according to Opta data, with QPR the fairest.

Opta measure discipline by attributing one point to each team for a foul, three for a yellow card and six for a red.

The team with the most points are therefore the side with the worst disciplinary record.

As things stand, Spurs - who have had three players sent off this season - have the worst record and are closely followed by Crystal Palace and Emirates Marketing Project in third.

Liverpool in 17th are the fourth-fairest team while Everton and Southampton are the second and third-fairest teams.

Despite their players picking up three red cards this season, Manchester United only have the eighth-worst disciplinary record.

Opta's stats also reveal the players who are responsible for the most disciplinary points at each club.

Crystal Palace captain Mile Jedinak with 46 has more than any other player in the Premier League, while QPR's dirtiest player Leroy Fer has just 22 points.

Perhaps surprisingly, Spurs winger Erik Lamela is their dirtiest player having accrued 32 points.

www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...ciplinary-record-Premier-League-QPR-best.html

So they only way to win is by cheating?

AAARRRGGGHHH !!!

I don't want to cheat our way to wins either - I don't want to see us being viewed as a dirty team , like a Leeds United of old or more recently Stoke City . I also don't want to see players of ours conning the referees for penalties and then have our manager claiming he did not see it.

But what I do want is a backbone, a backbone that stands up against the opponent that thinks it's above the law of the game, such as one who stamps on the head of a Spurs player as he is fallen on the grass . I want to see our players surround the player who has just kicked out at the ankle of a team mate, rather than search the physios bag for a drink as their injured colleague writhes in agony on the turf.

I want to see us grow a backbone as an acknowledgement for all the injustices meted out to us over the years by the likes of Howard Webb, Mark Clattenberg and Chris Foy .

I want to see an end to quotes such as , 'it's only Tottenham' being a source of amusement to supporters of other clubs.

Originally Posted by K.D.D.D.D.Soc

It's not cheats or dirty players we want but players who know the value of attitude and physical presence. When I think of the teams we had who won things we had plenty of them
Early 60's 60/70's 80's 91 08
Baker Beal Perryman Van den Hauwe Hutton
Norman Kinnear Hughton Sedgley Woodgate
Mackay Knowles Miller Stewart Zokora
Jones England Roberts Samways Malbranque
Smith Mullery Galvin Gascoigne Berbetov
Dyson Gilzean Crooks Allen
Archibald Howells

Lot of skilful players there but they had that little bit of devil in them.

I like ^ :eek:k:

We're not a dirty side, despite the current stats put up in the above post #30 . I do however, think we have shades of the Argentinean international team about us but I'm at a loss to think where it's come from. :-k:-"8-[:D

I think its about getting the critical mass of people who give a ****, who put in the effort, who hate it when they lose.

Agreed.

I think a couple of players have shown some solid improvements this season. Rose of course, Eriksen showing some fight and real willingness to work hard, Vertonghen back to the right attitude.

Poch has said a lot about our mentality and there's still a lot to be done, but we're improving (imo) and like you say getting a team together that all wants it really bad is huge.

Was looking for an old thread on the squads character, but this was as close as I could find.

Yesterday's performance obviously wasn't amazing, but IMO it did show bags of character, we were hanging on the first 25 mins of the second half, but we stayed in the game, poch made some good subs and the last 10/15 mins I thought we were pretty good actually.

Our boys get plenty of stick when we roll over to the better sides, so think it's only fair to praise them for a performance like this.

Was looking for an old thread on the squads character, but this was as close as I could find.

Yesterday's performance obviously wasn't amazing, but IMO it did show bags of character, we were hanging on the first 25 mins of the second half, but we stayed in the game, poch made some good subs and the last 10/15 mins I thought we were pretty good actually.

Our boys get plenty of stick when we roll over to the better sides, so think it's only fair to praise them for a performance like this.

Agree we have sort of, got a hard underbelly that has developed in recent games,even the chelski game,we kept going,even though it was playing against a brick wall sometimes......remember years ago,2000-2004 we would have crumbled or just gave up,perhaps with January coming up everyones job is on the line!!

what if eriksen's didn't score that last minute goal?

would you still say we'd grown a pair ?

Errr..... the point is that he did and for the 4th time in recent weeks we score a late winner. If that doesn't show character then what does.

But he did, isn't that the whole point?! If we had conceded when under pressure, erikson hadn't scored, lamela was sent off.... Then no, I wouldn't say we showed good character!!! But none of that happened did it!

Obviously winning is always translated into "the right attitude", "showing character" etc by the media and to some extent at least managers and players.

I think we're responding better to conceding than we did earlier in the season for sure, regardless of Eriksen's goal.

I thought we were brave towards the end. I don't think every team presses up like that to even win the ball to get the chance we scored from.

Swansea away, on a windswept rainy December evening . Let's be honest here, when Bony stroked in the equaliser a couple of minutes into the second half, most thought we'd get beat. Afterall, it's only Tottenham.

Back