• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Redknapp: The Aftermath

Would you keep Arry after the Season?

• Yes - He's done well and should be given at least one more season to consolidate our team

Votes: 25 53.2%
  • No - he's peaked and would hold us back.

Votes: 22 46.8%

• Total voters
Forgetting his victory in a mickey mouse league, can you tell me what at Chelsea you saw in AVB that would suggest he will be a top Manager?

What I saw from him at Chelsea:

a) Awful man management
b) Awful motivational skills (linked to the above)
c) Poor tactics, trying to fit square pegs into round holes
d) Failing to play to his players strengths and making too many risky changes too soon
e) Had one of the top two squads and first XI's in the country and had them struggling to make top four

Will be interesting to see why you rated him.

I saw a young man with fresh ideas about football who was given the burdensome task of performing their first major overhaul since the lotto win. A man who had to deal with massive egos who were at the club for decades and were in fact - older than him. I saw a man who was given minimal respect by certain players and undermined as soon as he benched one of the golden hens and the subequent supremacist media outcry about. How could he possibly dare to do that!

I saw a man who at no point during his brief tenure was publically backed up the owners, or other higher-echelon figure that he was here to carry out a transition and fans/players should bear with him/

I saw a man who was eventually destroyed by player-power and cnut media tabloid rumours. Nothing new. Same for the next one. Wait till RDM's honeymoon is over and they clog out a few results.

I really dont know. On the one hand i'm grateful for him leading us into the champions league last year and what a great journey that was on the other hand i really have nagging doubts about some decisions that he has made and have major concerns that given his years in the game, if he isnt doing these things now after the years he has been in charge at the club than i dont see things changing for next season.

I'm going to quantify this even if this goes slightly away from the topic at hand.

1) I do not believe he pays enough attention to finer details such as set pieces which in tight games can win or lose you a match or indeed can snatch a draw from the jaws of defeat. To consistently be succesful at the top you need to make the most of every oppurtunity that is afforded to you and it has been blantantly obvious that in the past couple of seasons set pieces have been afterthought. Quite frankly they are shocking. If they do work on them in training and i have this wrong then they need to go back to the drawing board.

2) Some may disagree with me but i believe we came out of this January's transfer window with a weaker squad, lacking cover in certain areas. Considering our position at the time i dont understand why we would want to get rid of players who whatever your thoughts on them as players provide versatility and an option which in my opinion is better than the lack of that we have now. As it happens in a squad game i believe that Pienaar, Corluka and Bassong could all play a role if called upon. **** worrying about Corluka for example not playing enough to get into the Croatian national team. If the decision to let him leave, leaves us without cover than then the decision should be in my opinion to keep him. Some may say bad man management however this leads me onto my third main concern.

3) The lack of use of the squad as a whole. I personally believe there is no reason why the squad could not be rotated more to keep players fresh for the end of the season. All those players mentioned previously are not mugs. They have years experience in the premier league and as a team we would not be sufficently weakened by playing them slightly more than they have been. I do believe some of our players look like fatigue has set in. This could have be avoided.

I did have another point but its gone.

Anyway if we qualify for the champions league then he deserves another season as he has met what i believe were the seasons expectations. I dont believe it is right if you set a goal for someone and they acheive that goal they should be sacked due to flucuations within the season (maybe Levy didnt set this goal for Redknapp, im just speculating). If we miss out, given the position we were in and the concerns that i have which have been worrying me for a while i dont think i would be too upset at his departure.

Theres a fence, im going to go sit on it now :-"

Last edited:
I saw a young man with fresh ideas about football who was given the burdensome task of performing their first major overhaul since the lotto win. A man who had to deal with massive egos who were at the club for decades and were in fact - older than him. I saw a man who was given minimal respect by certain players and undermined as soon as he benched one of the golden hens and the subequent supremacist media outcry about. How could he possibly dare to do that!

I saw a man who at no point during his brief tenure was publically backed up the owners, or other higher-echelon figure that he was here to carry out a transition and fans/players should bear with him/

I saw a man who was eventually destroyed by player-power and cnut media tabloid rumours. Nothing new. Same for the next one. Wait till RDM's honeymoon is over and they clog out a few results.

What fresh ideas?

Who do you want then? give me a realistic alternative who would be better.

Well without the aid of a crystal ball or some kind of time machine I can't say for sure who would be better, however like you I think it could be worth taking a gamble on Lambert. I also think Ancelotti might be gettable from PSG, plus is Capello still a free agent? He has won trophies and leagues at every club he has managed and could also be gettable IMO. If people are willing to consider Mourinho then they shouldn't reject Capello out of hand IMO.

I'm sure there are potential managers in other European leagues, although I don't have the depth of knowledge of European football to suggest potential managers that would be able to adapt to the pl and would be gettable.

Don't get me wrong I appreciate what Redknapp has achieved with us and think he has done a very good job, especially in qualifying for the top four once (so far) and having a good run in our debut season in the CL. However he is not perfect, and history seems to be repeating itself from last season, which does kind of suggest that we have gone as far as we can with Redknapp.

Key qualities that I would look for in a potential replacement are: a similar level of motivational ability, better tactical capability, and better squad management. I do not think that it is unthinkable that we could get a manager who could meet those requirements.

But by the same logic Roy didn't? Righto.

Apples and Oranges.

Expectations from both sets of fans were the league title. The main difference is Chelsea should be winning the title this year (I believe they have the second best first XI in the country, but if City imploded Chelsea should definitely be above Utd) where as Liverpool were nowhere near as good as their fans believed.

That said, Hodgson didn't exactly cover himself in glory.....

I saw a total nutcase who used to crouch down to get a better view.

I also saw a man who was trying his best to emulate Jose in being a bit different, sadly for him it didn't pay off.

On the flip side had he been there before Jose i think he might of actually stood a chance.

Well without the aid of a crystal ball or some kind of time machine I can't say for sure who would be better, however like you I think it could be worth taking a gamble on Lambert. I also think Ancelotti might be gettable from PSG, plus is Capello still a free agent? He has won trophies and leagues at every club he has managed and could also be gettable IMO. If people are willing to consider Mourinho then they shouldn't reject Capello out of hand IMO.

I'm sure there are potential managers in other European leagues, although I don't have the depth of knowledge of European football to suggest potential managers that would be able to adapt to the pl and would be gettable.

Don't get me wrong I appreciate what Redknapp has achieved with us and think he has done a very good job, especially in qualifying for the top four once (so far) and having a good run in our debut season in the CL. However he is not perfect, and history seems to be repeating itself from last season, which does kind of suggest that we have gone as far as we can with Redknapp.

Key qualities that I would look for in a potential replacement are: a similar level of motivational ability, better tactical capability, and better squad management. I do not think that it is unthinkable that we could get a manager who could meet those requirements.

He would cost a LOT of money though. PSG have a lot mroe money than we do. We'd have to pay them int he region of ?ú10m plus to get him, and he is probably on 4 or 5 times a year more than Redknapp. What makes you think we'd get him?

And Capello? Dear GHod no!!!!

He attempted to introduce a new formation to their play with strong preference to quick attacking play and fluid Top 3 and a static holder (similar to his 4-3-3 at Porto last season).

Played a high-line with the wrong defenders but ultimately struggled.

SpursFan - who do YOU want as next manager?

I've outlined my preference so once you're done slating AVB - feel free to give us your short-list. In your own time.

It's a good point and question. I always maintained up until recently that we weren't going through a crisis; that we'd just had a run of hard games and had some undeserved results (and a brick result against Arsenal), simple as that. But that can't be said of the last two games. I suppose the relentless and extreme whittling away of our 13 point gap in that initial period has left the players nervous and lacking confidence, and in those circumstances any turnaround - e.g. the performances against Chelsea and Swansea - is going to be fragile, and susceptible to a relapse at the slightest disappointment. In the same way that during a great run one or two bad performances isn't going to completely knock your confidence, during a bad run one or two good performances isn't going to completely bring it back.

I'm pretty sure this board after the Sunderland game was full of negativity, and I think the feelings of the fans are a good way of gauging the probable feelings of the players too. Of course, one would hope the players would be psychologically stronger, especially as Harry's strength is supposed to be his man-management and motivation skills. But the truth is that we don't seem to have many players who really thrive in these kinds of situations. I would say that maybe Dawson and Gallas do, and that Parker and VDV do to an extent. Now that Gallas, Parker and VDV are all fit, let's hope we can get it together.

I also really do think that this semi-final couldn't come at a better time; sometimes I think one big game can give the players an opportunity to get pumped up, and then having one big performance, getting one big result actually can act as a catalyst to change the atmosphere at a club. I don't know if I'm just trying to counterbalance the negativity on the forum at the moment, but I'm really looking forward to the game, and I'm feeling positive about winning it. When Arsenal lost 4-0 to Milan and then 2-0 to Sunderland, people were talking about them in the same way people are now talking about us. But then in the next game they came back from 2-0 down to beat us 5-2, and have won 6 of 7 since then. I think beating Chelsea on Sunday could do something similar for us.

I agree. Arsenal's result was always coming, and it just happened to come against us. They couldn't get any lower, and even at 2-0 down, I expected them to come back and win it. Don't know why, but it all just felt too simple. Too easy.

Anyway, it's quite disheartening that it seems like a manager is simply powerless when the confidence issue rears it's ugly head. As I said, I don't blame Redknapp, but what's the point of him? He gets players playing roughly to the standard that they should be playing to. We have probably the 4th best team (we looked like having the 3rd best team but Arsenal have shown that that's probably false, even though I agreed with the assertions earlier in the season that not many of their players would get in our side) and we are 4th. But if we are able to be 3rd and look nailed on for it, why should we suddenly have to fall back just because we have the 4th best squad? Why can't we keep picking up results?

I don't blame Redknapp, but if the good form was due to confidence, and the bad form was due to confidence, then what is the point of him? Why is his man management not showing the players that they are just as good as they were in the first half of the season? Why can he not overcome the confidence barrier? Why do the players not believe that they can do exactly what they were doing a couple of months back?

It's not a criticism of Redknapp as such, just a frustration with football in general. A few months back Wenger didn't have a clue, but he probably prepares his team in exactly the same way now and they are on an almost unstoppable run. The result against us changed everything, all Wenger has done is told them how to play, and everything else evens itself out, with confidence being the thing that tips the balance. What's the point of it all? What's the point of managers? A really bad one will have the team vastly under-performing, but it seems even the good ones just have their teams roughly where they should be. Fergie is the greatest, I think he has overachieved by being this far ahead of Emirates Marketing Project and their money at this stage of the season, but everyone else is just much of a muchness, preparing their teams in their own particular style and preference, and then waiting for confidence and form to even it all out come the end of the season.

Apples and Oranges.

Expectations from both sets of fans were the league title. The main difference is Chelsea should be winning the title this year (I believe they have the second best first XI in the country, but if City imploded Chelsea should definitely be above Utd) where as Liverpool were nowhere near as good as their fans believed.

That said, Hodgson didn't exactly cover himself in glory.....

Pool fans didn't expect the title, I can guarantee you that. Not with their players back then. If anything - this year they had a much stronger selection on paper - ironically

He would cost a LOT of money though. PSG have a lot mroe money than we do. We'd have to pay them int he region of ?ú10m plus to get him, and he is probably on 4 or 5 times a year more than Redknapp. What makes you think we'd get him?

And Capello? Dear GHod no!!!!

Why? Because of his failure with England - personally I blame the players more than Capello
Because he is seen as a boring catenaccio manager? Was that how AC Milan played under him? He is succesful at club level, everywhere he has been, and the style of football would be no worse than under Mourinho, who many on here (including myself) would be happy to see at Spurs?

What makes you say dear GHod no?

I think you missed the word realistic, we would not pay enough for a big name and all the others would not be an improvement on Redknap, I say leave alone if possible at the moment.

He attempted to introduce a new formation to their play with strong preference to quick attacking play and fluid Top 3 and a static holder (similar to his 4-3-3 at Porto last season).

Played a high-line with the wrong defenders but ultimately struggled.

SpursFan - who do YOU want as next manager?

I've outlined my preference so once you're done slating AVB - feel free to give us your short-list. In your own time.

That formation is nothing new, so how is that fresh? It's almost identical to Mourinho's Chelsea with Makalele just sitting.
Managers have been playing a high defensive line for years (think George Graham!), so that is nothing new either.

I want to know what fresh revolutionary ideas he has.

Don't see what's wrong with AVB, to be honest. He speaks English- that makes him better than Ramos, at the very least. He's really young, so he could be a long-term appointment. He tried to implement a high line and quick pressing game at Chelsea, but failed because of the oldies. We don't have any Terry types, so he'd be better off. He was sacked by a megalomaniacal rich owner obsessed with success at all costs. We don't have that. He had to deal with a 'transition', while clearing out the older players and trying to implement a new passing and pressing philosophy, while being expected to succeed in both the PL and the CL. An impossible task, so is it any wonder he failed?

So what exactly is wrong with the fella? At least he won some trophies in his short career, which is more than Moyes, Rodgers or Lambert have achieved in their managerial careers...

It was new to Chelsea for the last 6 odd years - i.e. quite a few players.

He also employs a strong tactical emphasis to a nearly scientific level - personally I enjoy that as opposed to 'running around a bit'

His ideas were new to them not the known universe

You still haven't given me your preference? Won't hold my breath though.

I think you missed the word realistic, we would not pay enough for a big name and all the others would not be an improvement on Redknap, I say leave alone if possible at the moment.
I was under the impression that we were paying Redknapp somewhere between ?ú2 and 5 mill per annum, if that is correct then I am sure it would be a big enough salary to get a big name manager (I think the problem in getting one of the big names is not managerial salary but potentially playing staff salary and transfer budget). However I also kinda remember suggestions that Redknapp would get a big salary boost if offered the England managerial position on the same terms as Capello, so maybe I have it all wrong!

Back