• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Redknapp: The Aftermath

Would you keep Arry after the Season?

• Yes - He's done well and should be given at least one more season to consolidate our team

Votes: 25 53.2%
  • No - he's peaked and would hold us back.

Votes: 22 46.8%

• Total voters
Season 1 : Bottom of the league, 2pts from 8 games. Lost the league cup final on pens. Finished 8th.
Season 2 : Finished 4th (highest league finish for 20 years)
Season 3 : Finished 5th, made it to the QF in our very first CL campaign beating Inter and AC Milan on the way
Season 4 : Currently 4th and will finish somewhere 6th or above. Semi Final in the FA Cup in a week's time.

Last 2 seasons - Hardly spent any money

For large periods of this season regarded the most attractive team to watch in the country

Even if we finish 6th this year, we have only finished 6th and above 10 times in the last forty years (and three of those ten will be under Redknapp).

Burkinshaw is, rightfully, regarded as a great Spurs manager and his era a Spurs golden era. His highest league finish was 4th, which he managed twice. The first time he managed it was his sixth season in charge. In eight seasons in charge we only broke top six twice.

To me it seems that you are the one with a short memory, we finished fifth in consecutive season under jol, we then underachieved under Ramos, but that had more to do with managerial shortcomings then a lack of quality in the squad, he'll most if our current stars were already in place when array took over. He has done a good job yes but let's not overexaggerate his achievements, it's not like he has built us up from nothing.

Who do you want then? give me a realistic alternative who would be better.

Who do you want then? give me a realistic alternative who would be better.

Personally for me - AVB - as much as it would be ridiculed no doubt.

However comes - we need to be patient during the transition. Chances of hitting the ground running are less likely than not

However comes - we need to be patient during the transition. Chances of hitting the ground running are less likely than not

HAHAHA funniest thing ive heard today.

If he failed at the bluescum what makes you think he's good enough for us????

Sorry if this has been posted, im at work and cant find enough time to read skysports news AND the whole thread.

For once a journa bloke seems to have written a pretty accurate piece;

5 Reasons why Spurs are coming off the rails.

Speculation over Harry's future

Spurs fans must be laughing at the FA's assertion, made in the aftermath of Fabio Capello's resignation, that they would not make a decision about the next England manager until the summer because they didn't want to "interrupt anyone's season."

When Capello resigned on February 8 - the same day as Harry Redknapp was acquitted on charges of tax evasion - the Spurs manager immediately became the favourite to replace the Italian. Three days later Spurs beat fifth-placed Saudi Sportswashing Machine 5-0 in a joyous display that seemed to affirm Redknapp as the only and obvious choice as England's next manager, and saw them move to within five points of Manchester United, opening up a ten point gap over Arsenal in fourth.

However, since then the wheels have fallen off and Spurs have managed a paltry six points in eight games forcing Redknapp to deny any link between conjecture around his future employment and Tottenham's form. Following a 1-1 draw with Stoke in March, Redknapp called such suggestions "absolute nonsense" and insisted that his players didn't care if he was manager next season.

But with Gareth Bale, Luka Modric and others reportedly unsettled by the lack of certainty going forward, it is difficult to conclude that the speculation has not acted as just the sort of interruption the FA was hoping to avoid.
The derby

When Tottenham travelled to the Emirates Stadium on February 26 it was only the fourth time in Arsene Wenger's Arsenal career that the Gunners had gone into the North London derby below Spurs in the table.

And with 34 minutes gone it very much looked as though, as well as advancing their own title hopes, Spurs would do further damage to Arsenal's chances of making the Champions League.

But then, with the game seemingly theirs to lose, Tottenham threw it all away. Goals from Bacary Sagna and Robin van Persie saw Arsenal pull level before half-time. Harry Redknapp scrambled to stem the flow, bringing on Sandro and Rafael van der Vaart for Saha and Niko Krancjar at the break, but by that time the momentum had well and truly swung in the Gunners favour.

With Tottenham seemingly unable to shut down an open game that was increasingly benefitting Arsenal, there was a certain inevitability to the goals from Tomas Rosicky and Theo Walcott that completed a humiliating afternoon for Spurs.

Arsenal's spirit on the day was remarkable and one game rarely defines a season but the nature of the defeat to such a fierce local rival, as well as the tactical deficiencies it hinted at, severely dented the confidence of the Tottenham squad.
The FA Cup distraction

Even before Fabrice Muamba collapsed 41 minutes into the quarter-final against Bolton, the FA Cup was arguably proving to be more of a distraction than perhaps it should have been for Tottenham.

Spurs comfortably beat Cheltenham in the third round, but made relatively hard work of their fourth round tie against Watford before needing a replay, in which they lost Michael Dawson to a season-ending injury, to get past League One Stevenage.

At that time nobody could have predicted what would subsequently happen to Muamba when Tottenham met Bolton but the emotional toll events on that day had on both sets of players should not be underestimated.

Whilst Bolton responded to the loss of Muamba with stirring performances in the league against Blackburn and Wolves, relatively little attention has been given to the impact on Spurs' players, who have struggled to move forward in quite the same fashion despite eventually overcoming Bolton when the match was replayed.
Redknapp's tactics

Spurs seem to be at their best when they play with width. With Aaron Lennon wide on the right and Gareth Bale a constant threat down the left, as was often the case early in the season, Luka Modric and Rafael van der Vaart had plenty of space to work their magic in the middle of the pitch.

More recently, in Lennon's absence, Redknapp has experimented with players in unfamiliar positions with limited success. Bale may be a fantastic talent but he doesn't look half the threat roaming freely in the middle of the park as he does terrorising full-backs with his pace down the wing. Meanwhile, Luka Modric's playmaking abilities seem almost completely blunted when he plays wide on the left.

Similarly, playing Van der Vaart nominally on the right has not only limited the Dutchman's impact and goal-scoring threat, it has also left Kyle Walker cruelly exposed at times as he effectively has to mark two players.

It is clear that Lennon's injuries have been a cruel blow but you have to question the tactics of a manager who responds to the loss of one player by disorienting several others in an attempt to compensate. Quite why Redknapp did not seek a like-for-like stand-in for the oft-injured Lennon when he had the chance remains a mystery.
Fragile defence

Quite simply, Redknapp has been forced to rely on Ledley King far too often this season. Whilst the if-only-he-wasn't-hurt-so-often defender has had a relatively injury free campaign by his standards, King is beginning to show signs that there are reasons why professional footballers generally consider it beneficial to train between games.

Neither King nor his manager could have imagined that the former England international would be required to feature in 21 games for Spurs this year, with the loss through injury of other key players clearly not helping the situation.

But Redknapp has hardly helped himself in that regard. William Gallas's hamstrings are only becoming more fragile with age and another 34-year-old, Ryan Nelsen, has failed to make much of an impression after arriving on a free transfer from Blackburn, for whom he had made only one league start all season. After the seldom-used Sebastien Bassong was allowed to leave on loan, Younes Kaboul was left as Redknapp's only real option to partner King in an hardly awe-inducing defensive line.

Whilst it might have paid off with 40-year-old Brad Friedel, too often Redknapp - a kind of anti-Wenger - has contributed to his own misfortune by signing players who are either injury prone or at an age where injuries are inevitable.

Questions must be asked as to why, in addition to a stand-in for Lennon, a reliable centre back was not sought in the January window when injuries were already starting to take their toll. Certainly, a dependable defensive partner for Dawson must be a priority come the summer to ensure that King is only sporadically called on for emergencies, if at all, in future.

Forgetting his victory in a mickey mouse league, can you tell me what at Chelsea you saw in AVB that would suggest he will be a top Manager?

What I saw from him at Chelsea:

a) Awful man management
b) Awful motivational skills (linked to the above)
c) Poor tactics, trying to fit square pegs into round holes
d) Failing to play to his players strengths and making too many risky changes too soon
e) Had one of the top two squads and first XI's in the country and had them struggling to make top four

Will be interesting to see why you rated him.

Absolutely brilliant original post. It just makes me wonder what has gone wrong. I don't blame Harry too much. He has done a good job.

But what has happened? If it is confidence, it's a massive shame, because I thought the Chelsea away point and Swansea win were supposed to show we were back to form, the blip was over etc. Why did it suddenly leave us again just because we didn't beat Sunderland? I thought buying these experienced players was to keep the mentality of the team strong, we have old heads that have seen it all before and are less inclined to lose confidence due to a couple of bad results. And in any case, I thought confidence was back!!!

I'm really disappointed in the players. They've let themselves fall away. They haven't been clinical and they haven't been ruthless. Norwich was one of the only times this season we have truly been outclassed and outplayed to such a degree, so I really don't blame Harry. The players have started acting small time since England started. We should have destroyed Chelsea with the chances we had. VDV was fudging 6 yards out and hit it straight at Cech. That's crap. They need to believe they deserve to be up there, and I just don't think they do. We make our own luck if we are ruthless, and we just haven't been. We have been unlucky, but the players have stopped doing what they were doing.

It's a good point and question. I always maintained up until recently that we weren't going through a crisis; that we'd just had a run of hard games and had some undeserved results (and a brick result against Arsenal), simple as that. But that can't be said of the last two games. I suppose the relentless and extreme whittling away of our 13 point gap in that initial period has left the players nervous and lacking confidence, and in those circumstances any turnaround - e.g. the performances against Chelsea and Swansea - is going to be fragile, and susceptible to a relapse at the slightest disappointment. In the same way that during a great run one or two bad performances isn't going to completely knock your confidence, during a bad run one or two good performances isn't going to completely bring it back.

I'm pretty sure this board after the Sunderland game was full of negativity, and I think the feelings of the fans are a good way of gauging the probable feelings of the players too. Of course, one would hope the players would be psychologically stronger, especially as Harry's strength is supposed to be his man-management and motivation skills. But the truth is that we don't seem to have many players who really thrive in these kinds of situations. I would say that maybe Dawson and Gallas do, and that Parker and VDV do to an extent. Now that Gallas, Parker and VDV are all fit, let's hope we can get it together.

I also really do think that this semi-final couldn't come at a better time; sometimes I think one big game can give the players an opportunity to get pumped up, and then having one big performance, getting one big result actually can act as a catalyst to change the atmosphere at a club. I don't know if I'm just trying to counterbalance the negativity on the forum at the moment, but I'm really looking forward to the game, and I'm feeling positive about winning it. When Arsenal lost 4-0 to Milan and then 2-0 to Sunderland, people were talking about them in the same way people are now talking about us. But then in the next game they came back from 2-0 down to beat us 5-2, and have won 6 of 7 since then. I think beating Chelsea on Sunday could do something similar for us.

Season 1 : Bottom of the league, 2pts from 8 games. Lost the league cup final on pens. Finished 8th.
Season 2 : Finished 4th (highest league finish for 20 years)
Season 3 : Finished 5th, made it to the QF in our very first CL campaign beating Inter and AC Milan on the way
Season 4 : Currently 4th and will finish somewhere 6th or above. Semi Final in the FA Cup in a week's time.

Last 2 seasons - Hardly spent any money

For large periods of this season regarded the most attractive team to watch in the country

Even if we finish 6th this year, we have only finished 6th and above 10 times in the last forty years (and three of those ten will be under Redknapp).

Burkinshaw is, rightfully, regarded as a great Spurs manager and his era a Spurs golden era. His highest league finish was 4th, which he managed twice. The first time he managed it was his sixth season in charge. In eight seasons in charge we only broke top six twice.

But therein lies the problem. In both seasons (this one and the last one) we looked for large periods of the season of being capable of finishing in the top four, only for an end-of-season wobble to derail that security. Last season, it led to us finishing fifth. This season....well, I hope to GHod it doesn't.

As for top-six finishes represting great moments in Spurs history, try telling that to Modric or Bale when they agitate for a move. A lot of us want success so much because we're scared of what might happen when those two, plus some other players leave. We want to keep them, and we want to progress. While top six finishes may represent progress in terms of our overall history, right now, all top six finishes guarantee is that our best players will leave the moment a big club winks seductively at them. And that's what we're so afraid of, I think; the unravelling of all the progress we've made over the last few years, and a return to the days when 'Spurs' was a by-word for 'laughing-stock' wherever you went.

Finally, I think the reason some folks cut Burkinshaw a lot more slack than they cut Harry is because Keith felt like one of us. Like a part of the club. Harry...well, it's 'us' one day and 'them' the next. You never know whether he gives a brick about the club or not.

He would have a very different situation with us the blue scum, a very different squad and an opportunity to show his worth.

He wouldnt have the diva squad they have, the player power they have or the nutjob owner they have if he joined us.

Im not convinced he is cut out for life in management in the premiership but he has shown enough to warrant interest in the past.

Back