• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Redknapp: The Aftermath

Would you keep Arry after the Season?

• Yes - He's done well and should be given at least one more season to consolidate our team

Votes: 25 53.2%
  • No - he's peaked and would hold us back.

Votes: 22 46.8%

• Total voters
If any game ever cried out for Defoe, it was this one. We were enjoying lots of possession in just the sort of areas Defoe scores most of his goals from, and instead, we were trying to thread balls through to some ninepin surrounded by Dunne and three other defenders to try and walk it into the net. Our two best chances in the game (Bale and van der Vaart) came from exactly that same area. Redknapp lacks bravery in these situations, and he basically admitted in his post-match interview that, having gone down to 10, he was happy to take a point.

Last edited:
Just seen what Harry said after the match. " 0-1 down and down to 10 men, i'd settle for a draw any day of the week." Absolute joker. Third was there for the taking and he blew it for us. Which other top team manager would "settle for a draw" when a win was needed. Negative - Just like he was against Sunderland, Liverpool and Everton.

Must go at end of season if we are to progress

FFS. He didnt settle for a draw though did he. We tried to win it, there was no instructions to hold back. Gallas was staying forward to try and win the ball more in the box.

What he is saying is that 1 nil down with 10 men, a draw is a good result. Not that he didnt try to win it, but that in normal circumstances you arent going to come away with a result that often so you'd take a point over a 2-0 loss.

FFS. He didnt settle for a draw though did he. We tried to win it, there was no instructions to hold back. Gallas was staying forward to try and win the ball more in the box.

What he is saying is that 1 nil down with 10 men, a draw is a good result. Not that he didnt try to win it, but that in normal circumstances you arent going to come away with a result that often so you'd take a point over a 2-0 loss.

Wait, so Harry sent a cb forward instead of putting Defoe/Saha on?

Ingenius!

If any game ever cried out for Defoe, it was this one. We were enjoying lots of possession in just the sort of areas Defoe scores most of his goals from, and instead, we were trying to thread balls through to some ninepin surrounded by Dunne and three other defenders to try and walk it into the net. Our two best chances in the game (Bale and van der Vaart) came from exactly that same area. Redknapp lacks bravery in these situations, and he basically admitted in his post-match interview that, having gone down to 10, he was happy to take a point.

Defoe, like most of our team doesnt do well in those situations. He does well when we are playing fast attacking football with space for him to move into. When in this situation most of his shots and closed down or we cant feed the ball to him because he is marked so heavily.

Defoe, like most of our team doesnt do well in those situations. He does well when we are playing fast attacking football with space for him to move into. When in this situation most of his shots and closed down or we cant feed the ball to him because he is marked so heavily.

Doesn't do well in what situations? Getting onto the ball in the area he scores most of his goals from? We needed to stretch their defence more, and Defoe might have done that.

Wait, so Harry sent a cb forward instead of putting Defoe/Saha on?

Ingenius!

Gallas is much stronger and better in the air than Defoe. There were about 20 corners for us in the game so Gallas would hang around a bit longer for a cross to come back in. We also had VDV and Ade on the pitch.

There is no problem here. I was just highlighting that Harry did not settle. If he had, we would have made defensive subs earlier and we wouldnt be sending loads forward for corners.

Doesn't do well in what situations? Getting onto the ball in the area he scores most of his goals from?

11 men in the box. There is no space. Defoe doesnt get the ball. There are literally loads of examples of when Defoe scores and when he doesnt.

The scenario we had today, is not one I have ever seen Defoe thrive in.

VDV can cross the ball, Ade is tall enough to win a header. Therefore those 2 staying on was not the end of the world.

11 men in the box. There is no space. Defoe doesnt get the ball. There are literally loads of examples of when Defoe scores and when he doesnt.

VDV can cross the ball, Ade is tall enough to win a header. Therefore those 2 staying on was not the end of the world.

Van der Vaart was knackered and was obviously going to get subbed off eventually, but our best chance of scoring was clearly going to come from a shooting opportunity around the edge of the box, just like the only two real chances we created in the game did. In the circumstances, I think Defoe might have been the preferred option over ... Parker.

Last edited:
Just seen what Harry said after the match. " 0-1 down and down to 10 men, i'd settle for a draw any day of the week." Absolute joker. Third was there for the taking and he blew it for us. Which other top team manager would "settle for a draw" when a win was needed. Negative - Just like he was against Sunderland, Liverpool and Everton.

Must go at end of season if we are to progress

No - when we were 1-0 and ten men yes im sure he woulda settled for a draw. BUT once we got it back to 1-1 i doubt he just sat there or stood there thinking oh great 1-1 a draw id settle for that.

Dont forget (im sure you didnt selectively forget) he also said that he was disappointed for not winning the game because we battered villa.

AT THAT TIME HE WOULDA SETTLED FOR THE DRAW, because a point is/was better than nothing.

fudges sakes.

To me it seemed more like clueless dithering than strategic patience. "Ok JD warm up we're sending you on. Wait, nah! Scotty you warm up you're going on....No wait sit back down Scotty! Never mind Scotty you're going on for real this time. We'll just bring Rafa off."

And this.

harry got it wrong all right, but it was for the first 60 minutes of play when we we not able to dominate the midfield, and bale keeps going missing.
This, Arry didn't 'settle for a draw, I originally thought 'why isn't Defoe coming on? ' I missed seeing rose's red. We defend properly but still have attacking from deep down the left.

Jesus christ,some of you people are just overcomplicating things here massively,lets sum it up all,shall we?

We needed a WIN,it didnt matter if we lost or got a draw since Saudi Sportswashing Machine lost

If you need a goal,you put players on that can score goals - Saha and Defoe.Adebayor only ever scores from clear cut chances(and Villa certainly wouldnt give him any space),VdV was tired as fudge and could barely stand on his feet,Bale was playing LB,Lennon and Modric are no goal scorers.So basically,we had nobody on the pitch that has the ability to score a goal in such a situation.We can discuss the qualities of Defoe and Saha until tommorow,but they can both make a bit of space for themselves and score goals.

The thread title is misleading,Harry didnt go for the draw,but he certainly didnt go for the win either.

We didn't have any trouble holding on to the ball at all throughout the second half, we dominated possession up until the final whistle. What we needed was someone who can create themselves a chance, or at the very least take up another defender and give Adebayor a chance to get in to some space

In which case the man to bring on was Saha...anyway, I digress...the reason we did not win today was the first-half. We played in third gear without upping the tempo at all. Second-half we came out and IMMEDIATELY hit the tempo, nearly forcing a goal in the 46th min. Had we kept 11 men on the field, I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever Defoe would've got on. We didn't. 10 men for nearly 45 mins, 10 men who absolutely battered Villa for possession too, but 10 men who really needed to have been told at HT to shoot a bit more, plus one man who IN that first-half needed to stay wide and stop drifting!!!!!

Does the point mean anything? There's scenarios where it could...but the truth is, we need to win next weekend. That's all. It is still possible for Arsenal to lose and us/Newcash win for 3rd and 4th; for what it's worth I think the filth will draw again at West Brom and then we'll see what we can do...fingers crossed, one last, herculean effort...at least Jol won't park 200 men behind the ball and sit deep!!!

Saudi Sportswashing Machine vs Emirates Marketing Project

How was the game going = 0-0. City having lots of possession but not looking likely to score.

What does manager do = Take off attacking midfielder and replace him with a defensive midfielder.

what happens = City create more, look more threatening and eventually win

Result = 0-2 win and Mancini is a genius.

imo you don't understand football if you don't get the logic for taking off vdv for Parker. I'm not saying you have to agree with it but if you don't understand what Redknapp was thinking then you don't understand football imho.

Agree with the intention, but it should've been Livermore. He actually played the ball FORWARDS QUICKLY, whereas scotty, due to fatigue I suppose, does his cul-de-sac running thing; he did it within minutes of being on today and I nearly had a kaniption fit!!!! Really really wanted Livermore's energy on today, wanted defoe on for his ability to take a pop from range (which we didn't do enough) and would've understood Saha coming on as he would've allowed Ade to drop deeper (into the hole) and cause trouble from there...

No - when we were 1-0 and ten men yes im sure he woulda settled for a draw. BUT once we got it back to 1-1 i doubt he just sat there or stood there thinking oh great 1-1 a draw id settle for that.

Dont forget (im sure you didnt selectively forget) he also said that he was disappointed for not winning the game because we battered villa.

AT THAT TIME HE WOULDA SETTLED FOR THE DRAW, because a point is/was better than nothing.

fudges sakes.

Obviously a draw is better than nothing. My point is that he never went for it from the start - just like Liverpool, Sunderland and Everton away. He lacks courage to go at teams. His comments underlined that. He sais he would take a draw when a win was needed - no other top four manager would ever say that when their team needed to win. he settled for second best and that communicated to the team. No great desire to win today imo. Shame on the players and the manager for not aggressively going all out to win. They all let us down

of course it would have mattered if we'd lost. we'd have opened the door a lot wider for Saudi Sportswashing Machine and chelsea for a start and the point today means any win next week will see us finish above arsenal if they don't whereas we'd have had to win by 3 clear goals if we'd lost.

i can guarantee if we'd have thrown men forward and got caught on the break the same people would be saying we should have settled for a point.

of course it would have mattered if we'd lost. we'd have opened the door a lot wider for Saudi Sportswashing Machine and chelsea for a start and the point today means any win next week will see us finish above arsenal if they don't whereas we'd have had to win by 3 clear goals if we'd lost.

i can guarantee if we'd have thrown men forward and got caught on the break the same people would be saying we should have settled for a point.

Not true. Take the three games I mentioned above and include todays. If we had aggressively gone for a win in all of them - say we would have won two and lost two. hence six points. Instead we got only three points. What a difference those points would have made to our season.

Back