• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Redknapp: The Aftermath

Would you keep Arry after the Season?

• Yes - He's done well and should be given at least one more season to consolidate our team

Votes: 25 53.2%
  • No - he's peaked and would hold us back.

Votes: 22 46.8%

• Total voters
But of these players only Lampard and Ramires are really central midfielders and even then I wouldn't describe Ramires as being in competion with Lampard as they are different kinds of players.

You just said yourself Mata was brought in as his successor - he operates very much as an ACM

Ironically it was Modric who would have been that replacement like for like bar the 20 goals per season. Although knowing our luck he would have transformed into a goal-scoring machine for them.

Well the list of other managers you put up earlier certainly fared better, with no less pressure. Hiddink was adored there.

Of course. He played the old 'uns. Back when they were still good.

They're not now. That's the difference. They're not half as good as they were the, yet they still expected to play when AVB came in. Let me pose you a question; people are slagging off our Ledley for 'losing his edge' after the debacle against Norwich. Now, if Ledley came in to Harry's office and demanded to play, do you think Harry would let him? Do you think we'd play better than we did without him? Two years ago, Ledley playing would have been as near a guarantee of a win as there existed in football. But does that mean he should play now?

Problem is - it strongly appears he wants the England job so littel chance of that

i think he wants it but im not sure his ego will accept the 3million a year on offer. Half the wage Cappello was on? Redknapp will not like that one bit.

this is how i see it. Hodgson and Redknapp will be invited to FA headquarters to be interviewed. The FA will put the salary details on the table and tell the two to go away and think about if they would be willing to accept the job and terms on offer. They know Redknapp wont like this, and will reject the opportunity, thus leaving Hodgson free to take the job as he would happily accept anything to be England manager. FA are happy bunnies

Redknapp will remain at Spurs

You just said yourself Mata was brought in as his successor - he operates very much as an ACM

Ironically it was Modric who would have been that replacement like for like bar the 20 goals per season. Although knowing our luck he would have transformed into a goal-scoring machine for them.

i think AVB wanted Modric as the deep lying playmaker. Mata and Modric can operate in the same team, Mata would just be further forward in the formation

Of course. He played the old 'uns. Back when they were still good.

They're not now. That's the difference. They're not half as good as they were the, yet they still expected to play when AVB came in. Let me pose you a question; people are slagging off our Ledley for 'losing his edge' after the debacle against Norwich. Now, if Ledley came in to Harry's office and demanded to play, do you think Harry would let him? Do you think we'd play better than we did without him? Two years ago, Ledley playing would have been as near a guarantee of a win as there existed in football. But does that mean he should play now?

Did they vastly improve at any stage under AVB? Did any of his decisions actually show signs of going anywhere?

He started to rival Kenny with his paranoia about the press, and he point blank refused to change his system. It wasnt working.

He knew the squad he had, and he failed to deliver. Are you suggesting that Lampard, Cole and Terry are past achieving anything in the game? Come off it, they all looked normal again the second he left.

I could understand if RDM was struggling with the same squad....but he isnt is he?

i think AVB wanted Modric as the deep lying playmaker. Mata and Modric can operate in the same team, Mata would just be further forward in the formation

Absolutely. In fact we (along with Arse) were intersted but he apparently chose pessos trophies

Strong contender for Team of the Year - fantastic player

Absolutely. In fact we (along with Arse) were intersted but he apparently chose pessos trophies

Strong contender for Team of the Year - fantastic player

a contender, but i think he will be up against Silva for that attacking playmaker position and Silva wins it for me this season. Good first season from Mata though

defence also looks more organized under RDM

This.

The fact that RDM has Chelsea's most influential player doing his job, and leading the back line again says alot.

AVB failed at this.....but apparently it was because Terry is past it. Makes no sense.

Did they vastly improve at any stage under AVB? Did any of his decisions actually show signs of going anywhere?

He started to rival Kenny with his paranoia about the press, and he point blank refused to change his system. It wasnt working.

He knew the squad he had, and he failed to deliver. Are you suggesting that Lampard, Cole and Terry are past achieving anything in the game? Come off it, they all looked normal again the second he left.

I could understand if RDM was struggling with the same squad....but he isnt is he?

Well, he signed Mata and Romeu and gave Sturridge his chance, as well as promoting Bertrand from the reserves and trying to dump the dead weight. I don't know about his 'paranoia about the press', he seemed reasonable in most of his press conferences, and I do remember the Guardian praising his 'willingness to engage with the press' in his obituary when he left. As for RDM struggling with the same squad, he isn't, because he has nothing to do with it. Terry's the manager, and the old 'uns are playing for Terry. And Chelsea aren't playing too convincingly, are they? Drew with Fulham when they had the chance to go above us, and have looked more lucky than skilled in their past few games.

They can't play the same system forever. They will have to adapt or be left behind. AVB realised that. It's a shame that his inability to master the spoiled old guard and the demands of an absolute insane owner has consigned him to being an image of perpetual failure in these isles.

No it really doesn't.

I don't want to re-quote your previous posts but you're applying massive double standards to 2 very similar situations and their respective season objectives. Unfair.

The results of either situation should be enough to show you just how deep the issues went.

Chelsea - change manager - team improves. Would infer the manager was a big part of why they werent performing.

Liverpool - change manager, spend ?ú100m - team doesnt improve at all. Would infer there are deeper issues than simple management at the club.

I am not saying Woy did a terrific job there, he didnt. I only ever said he wasnt as bad as your venom toward him stated.

I am not saying AVB is a bad manager, or that there werent powers beyond his control effecting him, but he certainly failed in the role of managing the team.

The 'evil' media and 'maniacal' owner didnt help the situation, I have no doubt, but there are also numerous examples in this thread alone of management errors on the part of AVB.

Chelsea have conceded 10 goals under owl-man so far in 11 games

That is an average of 0.91 per game

They condeded 43 under AVB in 40 games - 1.07 per game

High-line myth - busted

Last edited:
Well, he signed Mata and Romeu and gave Sturridge his chance, as well as promoting Bertrand from the reserves and trying to dump the dead weight. I don't know about his 'paranoia about the press', he seemed reasonable in most of his press conferences, and I do remember the Guardian praising his 'willingness to engage with the press' in his obituary when he left. As for RDM struggling with the same squad, he isn't, because he has nothing to do with it. Terry's the manager, and the old 'uns are playing for Terry. And Chelsea aren't playing too convincingly, are they? Drew with Fulham when they had the chance to go above us, and have looked more lucky than skilled in their past few games.

They can't play the same system forever. They will have to adapt or be left behind. AVB realised that. It's a shame that his inability to master the spoiled old guard and the demands of an absolute insane owner has consigned him to being an image of perpetual failure in these isles.

People keep talking about Terry as manager not RDM.....well thats EVEN more damning, that a CB with no managerial experience can see whats best for the team, with the players available, than AVB could. You only discredit him further when you say that, so carry on, it backs my argument more than it does your own.

As for Sturridge, well he tried to play him as a winger and ended up with a player whinging in the papers, and not putting in the effort if I remember.

Every team will get left behind if they dont change. But where AVB failed was making those changes, with the wrong players.

You say he didnt have a choice with those players....well Terry seems to managing them just fine.

The results of either situation should be enough to show you just how deep the issues went.

Chelsea - change manager - team improves. Would infer the manager was a big part of why they werent performing.

Liverpool - change manager, spend ?ú100m - team doesnt improve at all. Would infer there are deeper issues than simple management at the club.

I am not saying Woy did a terrific job there, he didnt. I only ever said he wasnt as bad as your venom toward him stated.

I am not saying AVB is a bad manager, or that there werent powers beyond his control effecting him, but he certainly failed in the role of managing the team.

The 'evil' media and 'maniacal' owner didnt help the situation, I have no doubt, but there are also numerous examples in this thread alone of management errors on the part of AVB.

They spent those figure under Kenny, not Roy

For me it's either a case they both failed or they both were 'unlucky' due to various factors. You cannot separate the 2 situation more than 10-15%, imv

How can he possibly play to the strenghts of ageing players losing their edge? What happened 2-3 years ago is completely irrelevant - is that how a team should be picked? On past merit?

Look at us and King for example - considering he was once our greatest CB for a decade - how do you suggest we play to his 'strengths'?

I think that while Chelbrick's old guard players are no longer the force that they once were they are still very effective playing in the system that they know, as seen through the upturn in Chelbrick's results since they reverted back to their old style of play. Perhaps I have been unclear as I don't think that AVB should have played to the strengths of ageing players losing their edge per say. To try and clarify my thoughts on what AVB should have done on starting at Chelsea:

Clear out the old players in the Summer, having lined up replacements ready for integration within the squad.

If he had done this then he would have stamped his mark on the squad, have his own key people in place, and have been in a much better position to try and implement a more free flowing style of football.

For a variety of reasons this squad clear out did not happen and he was only able to bring in some of the kind of players that would have been needed to change Chelsea's style of football.

In these circumstances he should have (IMO) been pragmatic in his approach to changing the style of football from the system that the old guard, who he still needed to rely on, operated in most effectively. It seems to me that he took a dogmatic rather than pragmatic approach and in doing so alienated the old guard. In short he tried to change to much too quickly, and when, if ever has such radical change proved effective. Normally a transitional period is required, however AVB seemed not to realise this truism and in doing so alienated key senior members of the squad.

Hmmm not sure that that is any clearer, but will have to have a think about how to express myself better!

People keep talking about Terry as manager not RDM.....well thats EVEN more damning, that a CB with no managerial experience can see whats best for the team, with the players available, than AVB could. You only discredit him further when you say that, so carry on, it backs my argument more than it does your own.

As for Sturridge, well he tried to play him as a winger and ended up with a player whinging in the papers, and not putting in the effort if I remember.

Every team will get left behind if they dont change. But where AVB failed was making those changes, with the wrong players.

You say he didnt have a choice with those players....well Terry seems to managing them just fine.

Terry has their loyalty, because he isn't trying to change anything. AVB didn't, because he didn't have Terry's. And that is all-important. People don't like it when you change the status quo; doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. Terry's managerial duties are simple; tell the team to play the same way every Chelsea team for the past five years has done, with minor changes, and hope that it works. AVB's brief was implementing a new system. So Terry's doing well now? Perfect, let's see how he does next season, when even older legs continue demanding to play. And the season after that. And that.

Just because they've got a few good results does not mean they're going anywhere. And like I said, the majority of those results have been more down to luck than performance. Wigan being a prime example.

AVB would have changed the system around, given time. Possibly made them much, much stronger, since I have seen his Porto team in action against various Europa League opponents and they were devastatingly good. Terry's 'management' will lead to them falling further down the ladder by next season as the age of the 'Golden Generation' of Chelsea performers continues to catch up with them.

Where do you think Sturridge plays now? It was fine for him to whinge at the time, because he had the support of the senior players in his whining against AVB. He won't dare to do it now, because he'll be up against Terry himself.

If you still believe Terry is a better manager than AVB, then by all means, believe it. We should appoint Terry then.

Back