• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Kane MBE

Suffered a high ankle sprain recently with my foot rolling the same way Kane's did while carrying a heavy weight on uneven terrain. The minute I saw the slo-mo replay, I winced at it. Too early to speculate on Kane's injury, so hoping it isn't serious and they were just being cautious in wheeling him off.

I just don't buy all this 'Kane needs a rest' guff. It's a narrative that's been running for well over a year now yet still he continues to bang in the goals, albeit with leaner spells in between, something that every single striker on the planet suffers from ffs.

If anything the real fear now must be that when he comes back having had this oh-so-paradisical rest he will take time to get back into the swing or worse the injury will linger and affect his confidence.

Then we WILL have something to whinge about.

So please, can we all leave him a-fudgeing-lone and just be grateful we have the most prolific striker in the PL playing for US and not Manure, Cheatski or City.

what??? He has had to play almost non stop for 2 years, as a lone striker for Spurs with no back up available to give him the odd break, in a system and for a manager like Poch who demands more running and pressing than the majority of other managers, it was only a matter of time that he either mistimed a tackle and overstretched and twisted something, or pulled a hamstring by running and pushing himself over his limit, or jumped trying to get to a ball in the air and due to fatigue then landing awkwardly and twisting an ankle or jarring his knee

I dont think there is another lone striker in English football that has played so much football at maximum intensity like Harry has during the last 2 years

Why people "whinge" as you say is because most see that he deserved more time off. Now we have Janssen it was the perfect chance to let Harry ease himself into the season. But no he has started ever PL game, started and flogged himself alone upfront for England, now we have the CL too.

of course everyone is grateful he is playing for Spurs and not one of our rivals. Its just we want the club to look after him a bit more. Is there anything wrong with that?

Didn't gather additionally about 35 euros in fantasy, because Harry couldn't complete the game.
But fck this money, I won't see him in Moscow now :(
What a sad game that was: about 30 shots, 1 goal, a bit nervy ending and 3 injuries to our first-team players.

Did you see today's starting line up?!

Eriksen, who had the whole summer off and didnt play many of the pre season games, was rested. Lamela, who didnt start last week against Stoke, was on the bench. He looks super fit, roostery and confident and full of himself, he doesnt look like a player who is struggling.

I dont call that properly utilising the squad. Against a poor Sunderland team and at home, after the tough week the team just had, it was a good chance to give Walker, Dier, Alli and Kane time off and at most put them on the bench. We could easily have started the following team and still had enough to beat Sunderland

........................Lloris
Trippier Alderweireld Vertonghen Davies
..............Wanyama Dembele
.......... Sissoko Eriksen Son
.....................Janssen

that is properly utilising the squad imo

Eriksen, who had the whole summer off and didnt play many of the pre season games, was rested. Lamela, who didnt start last week against Stoke, was on the bench. He looks super fit, roostery and confident and full of himself, he doesnt look like a player who is struggling.

I dont call that properly utilising the squad. Against a poor Sunderland team and at home, after the tough week the team just had, it was a good chance to give Walker, Dier, Alli and Kane time off and at most put them on the bench. We could easily have started the following team and still had enough to beat Sunderland

Of course, we do not know whether any of the players picked up a knock in midweek or have access to the performance/fitness data collected in training.

I'm pretty sure that Poch is planning to use Davies and Trippier v Gillingham on Wednesday, hence using Vertonghen at left-back v Sunderland, with Rose being out. Same goes for Janssen, probably Eriksen and Lamela too. So most of the big hitters will have a week off between Sunderland and the next league game v Middlesbrough.

I'm pretty sure that Poch is planning to use Davies and Trippier v Gillingham on Wednesday, hence using Vertonghen at left-back v Sunderland, with Rose being out. Same goes for Janssen, probably Eriksen and Lamela too. So most of the big hitters will have a week off between Sunderland and the next league game v Middlesbrough.

im sure Trippier and Davies could have played against both Sunderland and Gillingham. Trippier has barely featured this season and Davies came in for his first game at Stoke last week. Both are fresh, rested and fit.

Janssen hasnt featured much in recent weeks so could have played back to back this weekend and in midweek. Eriksen as i said has had the whole summer off and struggling for form not fitness. He needs game time more than anything.

anyway, as this is the Harry thread i dont want to stray too off topic. The point is we finally signed a back up striker for Harry so imo it was the right time to believe in Janssen and trusted in him to start the season as our main striker and given Harry more time off after all the football he has played in the last two years. The squad is big enough, we would have coped, and anyway harry tends to start a new season slowly so its not like we would have missed his goals by having Janssen in instead.

I do think that by continuing to overuse Harry the chance of him picking up a serious injury was just the next game away from happening, simply a matter of time. Lets just hope he has been lucky this time and its not as serious as it looks. Plus, if its not serious, just let him take all the time necessary to fully recover and for gods sake not rush him back.

Time to trust in and back Vince!!

At least he's looked very heavy footed and in need of a break... I.e. Not a huge loss for a few games if he comes back refreshed.

Good point, he looks a shadow of the players he has been for the past two seasons( and imo those who say he does not are looking through spurs tinted glasses).

A poor Sunderland side, are you kidding me? Like Saudi Sportswashing Machine last season, who did the double over us. They were so poor yet we only scored 1 goal

My concern is that I thought we should have signed 2 strikers over the summer because I always thought we were lucky last season that Kane did not get injured.

My concern is that I thought we should have signed 2 strikers over the summer because I always thought we were lucky last season that Kane did not get injured.

We may well see and need a younger player to step up from the U23's or whatever they are called now.

It's there such a player?

what??? He has had to play almost non stop for 2 years, as a lone striker for Spurs with no back up available to give him the odd break, in a system and for a manager like Poch who demands more running and pressing than the majority of other managers, it was only a matter of time that he either mistimed a tackle and overstretched and twisted something, or pulled a hamstring by running and pushing himself over his limit, or jumped trying to get to a ball in the air and due to fatigue then landing awkwardly and twisting an ankle or jarring his knee

I dont think there is another lone striker in English football that has played so much football at maximum intensity like Harry has during the last 2 years

Why people "whinge" as you say is because most see that he deserved more time off. Now we have Janssen it was the perfect chance to let Harry ease himself into the season. But no he has started ever PL game, started and flogged himself alone upfront for England, now we have the CL too.

of course everyone is grateful he is playing for Spurs and not one of our rivals. Its just we want the club to look after him a bit more. Is there anything wrong with that?
Does it not occur to you that you could be making massive assumptions about Harry's physical state that none of us actually has any inside track on? What you are saying now is pretty much the identical narrative that was being spouted ad nauseum by all and sundry this time last year, yet despite his presumed fatigued, jaded state he still went on to become top PL scorer.

So how do you explain that?

Yes , of course it is one POSSIBILITY that Harry is suffering from fatigue, and it's also posible that he could do with a break, but that's just one of several possible explanantions. It's equally just as possible that pure and simple he's struggling with a run of poor form atm, that he will work through it just like he did last season.

It's also possible that the reason he's struggling is because other teams are increasingly shackling him, that his colleagues are finding it increasingly difficult to get the ball through to him as a result, that defenders have learnt to anticipate what he's going to do next and how important it is to throw themselves at him in order to block his next shot.

There are a score of different potential explanations for his relatively poor scoring form, fatigue being just one of them. So let's just stop making assumptions and leave it to Poch to decide what's best for him shall we? He is after all much better qualified to judge than anyone on this forum, wouldn't you agree?

A poor Sunderland side, are you kidding me? Like Saudi Sportswashing Machine last season, who did the double over us. They were so poor yet we only scored 1 goal

yes, Sunderland are rubbish. Have you seen the PL table lately?

and yes, rubbish like Saudi Sportswashing Machine who if you failed to notice actually got relegated last season. The fact we handed them 6 points last season was a travesty and cost us 2nd place.

We scored one goal because Sunderland decided like most poor teams do to come to WHL and simply sit outside their box and not dare to venture forward making it impossible for us to create clear cut chances. Yes like always we dominated possession and had loads of shots from outside the area but it was difficult to get behind them and create much in the box. I think had Poch started Eriksen and Lamela, our two most creative players, then we might have created a bit more but even then it would have been difficult.

Still, Sunderland were dreadful, my word its been a while since ive seen such a hopeless team devoid of anything going forward. Moyes is a wet blanket, its no surprise the players look so unmotivated.

I thought we signed that Juan Pablo Gonzalez Velasco guy to bulk up the U21 striking talent?

Does it not occur to you that you could be making massive assumptions about Harry's physical state that none of us actually has any inside track on? What you are saying now is pretty much the identical narrative that was being spouted ad nauseum by all and sundry this time last year, yet despite his presumed fatigued, jaded state he still went on to become top PL scorer.

So how do you explain that?

Yes , of course it is one POSSIBILITY that Harry is suffering from fatigue, and it's also posible that he could do with a break, but that's just one of several possible explanantions. It's equally just as possible that pure and simple he's struggling with a run of poor form atm, that he will work through it just like he did last season.

It's also possible that the reason he's struggling is because other teams are increasingly shackling him, that his colleagues are finding it increasingly difficult to get the ball through to him as a result, that defenders have learnt to anticipate what he's going to do next and how important it is to throw themselves at him in order to block his next shot.

There are a score of different potential explanations for his relatively poor scoring form, fatigue being just one of them. So let's just stop making assumptions and leave it to Poch to decide what's best for him shall we? He is after all much better qualified to judge than anyone on this forum, wouldn't you agree?

i posted this article a little earlier which is about Harry and the amount of effort he puts in

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...throttle-stand-still-sterling-kane-pochettino

Its not the lack of goals thats the problem, of course strikers go through spells where they dont score and we have seen with Harry that it tends to take him a while to get his first goal of the season and after that he is fine. Yes he is having to deal with tighter defending and is a marked man now and ive said before that he has to find new ways to escape the extra attention he receives from defenders

The issue is that its not normal that he is being expected to play continuously as he has been. His workload is bigger than most lone strikers have to deal with because of what Poch demands from his players. This naturally will lead to fatigue, mental and physical, and most football observers feel that Harry looks fatigued.

If you think its fine to keep playing Harry week in week out every season with international tournament football thrown in to the mix too then fair play.

yes, Sunderland are rubbish. Have you seen the PL table lately?

and yes, rubbish like Saudi Sportswashing Machine who if you failed to notice actually got relegated last season. The fact we handed them 6 points last season was a travesty and cost us 2nd place.

We scored one goal because Sunderland decided like most poor teams do to come to WHL and simply sit outside their box and not dare to venture forward making it impossible for us to create clear cut chances. Yes like always we dominated possession and had loads of shots from outside the area but it was difficult to get behind them and create much in the box. I think had Poch started Eriksen and Lamela, our two most creative players, then we might have created a bit more but even then it would have been difficult.

Still, Sunderland were dreadful, my word its been a while since ive seen such a hopeless team devoid of anything going forward. Moyes is a wet blanket, its no surprise the players look so unmotivated.
I was thinking something similar. It wasn't really a game where the power and pace of Sissoko and Son were required IMO. Neither played badly but the guile of Eriksen and Lamela might have opened them up more effectively.

Anyway we won so plenty to be happy about.

Will Miller would have been the one - anyone know if we can recall him before Jan if needed?
Otherwise Son will be the option after Jannsen

Will Miller is a midfielder

Yeah now we have to rely on Janssen, then Son, then most likely Shayon Harrison from the under 23's

Back