• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Kane MBE

In which case he stays for the next year, which Spurs seem to be comfortable with
That’s what I mean

Kane has leverage but in his case it has to be he won’t play… can’t see him doing that

Bayern’s leverage is we lose lane for nothing

spurs leverage is keeping kane one season more means we have a higher chance di doing better in theory

That’s what I mean

Kane has leverage but in his case it has to be he won’t play… can’t see him doing that

spurs leverage is keeping kane one season more means we have a higher chance di doing better in theory

Bayern have no leverage in that case.

We and kane are happy with the status quo; Bayern aren't

Makes it easier for Levy to play hardball

That’s what I mean

I think we have stronger leverage than that.

In a year's time they will be fighting a load of other clubs for his signature. Stump up the price now and he's theirs.

I have to wonder...if the figure becomes public, will Real Madrid step in at the death and pay it? No Mbappe this season. Kane would likely win the CL with them...I think there's a twist to come...
I don't think Real are interested in buying older players at the moment. They have been remodelling their squad over the past few years with fresh younger blood. Kane kind of goes against that, Mbappe goes with it.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

Not really. I said that the PL record means little in my view because it starts from an arbitrary point in time (1992). He could get that record and still be behind Shearer in terms of top flight goals. And he'll finish miles behind Greaves. That he's behind Tony Cottee in terms of top flight goals right now says to me that "the record" is more hype than substance. I'm not intending to completely brick on it. Kane's been an incredible footballer for us, I love him to bits, but I just don't buy that the record alone will define him as truly great. And if he does break Shearer's record and over the next two decades several players pass him on that list, does he still get classed as a great because he once held a record?

The aim of sport is to win games and win trophies. The truly great players all win medals. Every player I consider great has won league titles and Champions Leagues. Because, for me, it's more than just doing what you do well. It's about doing it well on the big occasion. About helping to get your team over the line to a big prize. Kane's never done that and he's had opportunities. That's not to lay the blame at his feet, not by a long way, but he could have pushed us on to trophies and didn't.

Every player I consider to be truly great has won trophies and played a massive part in those trophy wins. That's not to say I've sat there and constructed a list of my great players based on what they won. I've termed them great based on what I saw of them - and they all happen to have one thing in common - they've won trophies. And with all of them, I can remember massive games where they produced. Again, I'm not trying to rubbish Kane's achievements but what have been his career defining performances and what did they result in?

That last sentence sums up this debate perfectly and I agree completely. Everyone remembers Zidane’s match winning goals in the World Cup final and that outrageous left footed volley in the CL final against Leverkusen. Everyone of a certain age/anyone student of the game remembers Pele scoring for Brazil in World Cup finals. Messi’s crucial goals for Argentina in the last World Cup. What crucial goals will Kane be remembered outside of the Spurs fanbase? Like you, I don’t want to knock Kane’s record but to claim it’s somehow more impressive than players who have actual medals and equally/slightly less impressive goal scoring records is a stretch IMO. If Kane played for any other team we probably wouldn’t even be having this debate. I think it’s a case of our fans getting defensive about the lack of trophies.

That last sentence sums up this debate perfectly and I agree completely. Everyone remembers Zidane’s match winning goals in the World Cup final and that outrageous left footed volley in the CL final against Leverkusen. Everyone of a certain age/anyone student of the game remembers Pele scoring for Brazil in World Cup finals. Messi’s crucial goals for Argentina in the last World Cup. What crucial goals will Kane be remembered outside of the Spurs fanbase? Like you, I don’t want to knock Kane’s record but to claim it’s somehow more impressive than players who have actual medals and equally/slightly less impressive goal scoring records is a stretch IMO. If Kane played for any other team we probably wouldn’t even be having this debate. I think it’s a case of our fans getting defensive about the lack of trophies.

If England had had a decent manager for most of Kane's career, there's a very decent chance he'd have an international winners medal by now. Southgate's underperformance has been criminal given the quality of players available to him, but he gets away with it because the FA like his clean-cut image.

If kane did in the final what moura did in the semi we wouldn't be having this conversation. Him not scoring winning goals in finals is partly down to him.

The all-knowing ITK that is Trix posted this insightful update...

Hearing they haven't increased their bid, and they will have to if they want this done. Looks like they are so used to just bullying teams into submission which for all his faults won't happen with DL. They know what they need to do now put up or shut up.

Thought he was 100% gone last night, now I'm 50/50.

If England had had a decent manager for most of Kane's career, there's a very decent chance he'd have an international winners medal by now. Southgate's underperformance has been criminal given the quality of players available to him, but he gets away with it because the FA like his clean-cut image.

I don’t think Southgate is a top manager and doesn’t play exciting football but I think his record for England is very record and any stick about his results are harsh. He’s reached a semi final, a final and was unlucky to lose to France at the last World Cup, a missed penalty could have swung 2/3 of those matches our way. Kane has had opportunities for Spurs and England but hasn’t registered single goal or assist in 4 finals.

@Lilbaz True but the team didn't show in any recent finals, Kane can't put chances away that haven't been created.
Last time we scored in a final was Woodgate in 2008 IIRC?

I don’t think Southgate is a top manager and doesn’t play exciting football but I think his record for England is very record and any stick about his results are harsh. He’s reached a semi final, a final and was unlucky to lose to France at the last World Cup, a missed penalty could have swung 2/3 of those matches our way. Kane has had opportunities for Spurs and England but hasn’t registered single goal or assist in 4 finals.

I just think that if you gave Pep the current squad, we'd be playing far better and would have done better. Obviously impossible to prove either way

For all the discussion about Kane and the medals vs top-scorer trade-off, little is made about the achievement of being England's top scorer - its a record that he'll likely hold til the day he dies. That should give him a lot of pride/satisfaction

The all-knowing ITK that is Trix posted this insightful update...

Hearing they haven't increased their bid, and they will have to if they want this done. Looks like they are so used to just bullying teams into submission which for all his faults won't happen with DL. They know what they need to do now put up or shut up.

Thought he was 100% gone last night, now I'm 50/50.

Possible that this is consistent with the '£20m short' reports. They came over, Levy told them what price gets this done and they go back to consider. Issue with that is that they'd expect levy to negotiate

Unfortunately this could run til the end of the window, which would thereby impact our signings

Possible that this is consistent with the '£20m short' reports. They came over, Levy told them what price gets this done and they go back to consider. Issue with that is that they'd expect levy to negotiate

Unfortunately this could run til the end of the window, which would thereby impact our signings

Some German football expert on the radio last night said something similar. He reckoned that Bayern can afford to make us sweat. For them to go into the start of the season with one of their many back up strikers would barely trouble them, They would be ok to drag it out to the deadline, Whereas they know we are fudged and need to get this sorted asap as we have a lot of transfers and rebuilding to sort out.

Could be rubbish but let's see, We know Levy is a stubborn bastard when it comes to this sort of thing

What are the media going to do if he does go, lots of space to fill and all those poor old pros who you had forgot even played will miss their beer money for their "quotes"

Some German football expert on the radio last night said something similar. He reckoned that Bayern can afford to make us sweat. For them to go into the start of the season with one of their many back up strikers would barely trouble them, They would be ok to drag it out to the deadline, Whereas they know we are fudged and need to get this sorted asap as we have a lot of transfers and rebuilding to sort out.

Could be rubbish but let's see, We know Levy is a stubborn bastard when it comes to this sort of thing
How are we fudged? If he stays, great, we have one of the top strikers in the world, if he goes we have Richy and Son to cover. Get the PEH and Sanchez deals done and we should be able to get a CB immediately.

Are we? If we sell hojbjerg, ndombele, sanchez and reguillon we will have money to get a cb at least.

How are we fudged? If he stays, great, we have one of the top strikers in the world, if he goes we have Richy and Son to cover. Get the PEH and Sanchez deals done and we should be able to get a CB immediately.

We should have been able to get 1 CB immediately a long time ago though? We are hardly struggling for cash. But yeah, I think they are assuming that there is some grand plan that we need that Kane money to fund the rebuild etc.

I agree, though psumably we'd sign higher quality CBs with the Kane cash compared to without it. I'd like to think we could sign one (VdV perhaps) with it as you say

Back