• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Kane MBE

After selling Bale this really is the tonic we need. It's so good even if it is exaggerated by the media to an extent.

Had a peep on Arsemania and some of their fans are pretty complimentary towards him.

They had some twitter quotes on a sports show last week with Scum fans saying what Wenger needs to do to win the title, and some of the responses were buy Lloris and Kane ...

Just another example of how stats are useless in a lot of cases. Stats are a useful tool ( I have used them in work) but more then not they never tell the full story and can be used to make what ever point some may be pushing.

The worst thing is that so many now regard them as the Holy Bible but they are not.
Another example of just how absurd stats can be when carefully massaged: an SSN table today showed only one PL club with fewer academy players in it's 25-man squad than us. We have four, Chelsea (I think it was) have three, one other has four but the majority have nine or more. Uninformed fans would conclude from the SSN table that we must be among the worst for nurturing home-grown talent, whereas right now we are arguably THE most successful of all.

First off, the stats omit Kane and Bentaleb because they were U21 at the time of registration, secondly they exclude players like Carroll, Pritchard and Fredericks currently on loan to other PL or Championship clubs, but perhaps most tellingly of all they fail to reveal that four of our academy players have made it into the England squad and a fifth (Bentaleb) has already represented Algeria in both the World Cup and the ACoNs finals.

Last edited:
Do we count the likes of Livermore and Caulker?? Two players from our academy also earning a living in the EPL

Its all a BS stat anyway.

Rose and Bentaleb for example are products of good scouting, not youth development. You can argue we developed Rose from 16, but Bentaleb we just gave a platform to get into the squad. Whilst I'm sure he learned a few things In our academy, he can't have developed that much surely.

Rose and Bentaleb for example are products of good scouting, not youth development. You can argue we developed Rose from 16, but Bentaleb we just gave a platform to get into the squad. Whilst I'm sure he learned a few things In our academy, he can't have developed that much surely.

Fair comment. SSN stats are often ludicrous but that one took the biscuit.

Bentaleb signed for us in January 2012, having turned 17 in November 2011. He spent almost two years with our academy and development squads before he got his PL debut.

Calling him a Spurs academy player or not becomes a question of definition and would not be obviously correct (imo). But he will qualify as a Spurs home-grown player and considering we signed him after getting him in on trial I don't think saying that we just gave him a platform to get into the squad is quite right either.

Are you sure that table you saw wasn't done as if the new proposals came into place right now? Rather than the current state of the squad? I saw one that was applicable to that, which we were the second worst. But that was changing the definition of home grown under the new proposals etc as well, so completely irrelevant!

Are you sure that table you saw wasn't done as if the new proposals came into place right now? Rather than the current state of the squad? I saw one that was applicable to that, which we were the second worst. But that was changing the definition of home grown under the new proposals etc as well, so completely irrelevant!
There was nothing on the chart to explain that's what it was about. Either way it still gave the unfortunate impression we are very poor at developing young players.

There was nothing on the chart to explain that's what it was about. Either way it still gave the unfortunate impression we are very poor at developing young players.

Yet in practice we are actually getting some positive media coverage for the development of Townsend, Mason, Bentaleb and in particularly Kane.

IndolentCloseAfricanporcupine.gif

tasty

Shearer v Kane
----------------------Games----Goals----Goals/game ave
Alan Shearer---104---------20---------0.19
Harry Kane------95----------36---------0.38

League records only - games and goals up to England debut, assuming Kane plays against Lithuania

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32013113

Nice! That said, Shearer played for a Southampton side that spent most of its time in the bottom half of the table, while Kane's at a side that's expected to beat most PL opposition. That said, when did he sign for Blackburn? It's all a long time ago!

Shearer also played at a time when goals would be shared between two strikers, so would probably have lost out on a few, effectively, to his strike partner.

Back