• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry & CL or AVB and a New Era??

I rather had Harry and some decent new signings. What Harry did with the tiny budget he had was miraculous.

I rather had Harry and some decent new signings. What Harry did with the tiny budget he had was miraculous.

Because he didn't know who to buy, said so himself.

Everything has an expiry date. Harry took his eye off the job and the team suffered, it's time for a change. What happens next isn't known.

Because he didn't know who to buy, said so himself.

Everything has an expiry date. Harry took his eye off the job and the team suffered, it's time for a change. What happens next isn't known.

I can't just resist fighting the revisionism :lol: The team suffered? The team finished 4th. And the team is young. In fact, I'd say in places the team is still TOO young. We need a couple of older heads for sure. I'd love a Naybet and Sheringham (second time around) style signing this transfer window. But most of all I'd love a Poyet style signing because we severely lack experience and nouse going forward from the midfield.

Definitely. He spent (and had to!) a fair bit keeping us up in the first January transfer window but after that his spending to success ratio truly was miraculous. People want to completely focus on Saha and Nelsen as examples of why he had to go, but that is utter fudging flimflam. They were short term stop gaps to fill the squad for 6 months whilst longer term targets were sought. They certainly weren't typical of the sort of signings made during the Redknapp era.

But now it's time to move on. A new Manager coming in is always time for excitement. Personally I don't think AVB will be a success, but I hope he is. I just hope he has learned four valuable lessons from his Chelsea days. 1) Evolution not revolution is the key to stable long term success. 2) Play to the strengths of the players in your team, and do not shoehorn players into unfamiliar positions and stick with a failing system come hell or highwater. 3) Don't make changes for the sake of it (which is the biggest complaint I had against Redknapp last season. 4-4-2 worked a treat. Lennon gets injured and then all of a sudden we had players out of position, trying different formations etc and our results dropped off, all too predictable), 4) Older heads are needed for a team to be successful.

I can't just resist fighting the revisionism :lol: The team suffered? The team finished 4th. And the team is young. In fact, I'd say in places the team is still TOO young. We need a couple of older heads for sure. I'd love a Naybet and Sheringham (second time around) style signing this transfer window. But most of all I'd love a Poyet style signing because we severely lack experience and nouse going forward from the midfield.
Ooh hi lover.

Yes, the team suffered. Look at the form after Capello resigned.

macaron.

Redknapp would have used the Modric money to sign Joe Cole, Rio Ferdinand and Phil Neville and their wages.

I believe in Levy's vision of youth with sell on value policy and sustainable/organic growth, and will be very happy if we've found a manager like AVB who shares this.

Would this be the same team that is statistically the oldest in the league (or was till we released Nelsen, Saha, King and Cudicini yesterday anyway)?

Would this be the same team that is statistically the oldest in the league (or was till we released Nelsen, Saha, King and Cudicini yesterday anyway)?

That depends on what statistics you use. The median and mode age of the squad was quite low, the mean is distorted by the age of a couple of players.

CL and Harry, although on balance I am pleased Harry has gone. It was a pre emptive decision from Levy. Had Harry stayed, he would have been sacked after a bad start, which I believe we would have had. The collapse at th end of last season, would have n]been self defeating with our confidence sapped.

A few new signings will feel like a fresh start. Harry's performance for the last 3 months was abysmal . The Villa game , summed it all up.

Maybe this is the problem. People argue apples and oranges. I said team, NOT squad. Our first XI is very young (the fact that Friedel bumps the average age up is irrelevant), and is set to become younger still when AVB gets rid of VDV, Parker and Gallas.

We aren't Emirates Marketing Project who can afford to spend big money on excellent players before their peak (27 to 32) and if they fail to reach their potential peak go out and buy another one. We also can rarely afford to buy players in their prime. Which means we have to have the balance of buying PROVEN experience to slot straight into the team but who are slightly past their peak, and young players with potential before the big clubs have them on their radar (and then we'll have to accept stepping stone status for those players until we become a regular top four team...if that ever happens).

Back