• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hard work

milo

Jack L. Jones
I've seen a few comments on here recently about the amount of effort that certain players put in, with comments that they aren't trying or are lazy. My question is, is this a peculiarly British mindset or do other countries think about the game in a similar way?

The british are a lazy nation, so I do think its a mindset mainly in this country, years of the country being a haven for tinkletakers and scroungers havent helped, I actually think lots of people see living on benefits as a career these days

The british are a lazy nation, so I do think its a mindset mainly in this country, years of the country being a haven for tinkletakers and scroungers havent helped, I actually think lots of people see living on benefits as a career these days

Hasn't that been the case for many years? I'm sure there was a sense of pride about signing on back in the day? Or was that just in Liverpool ;)

The work-shy people I have been acquainted with back home are ironically enough the same people that complain bitterly about immigrants on benefits/immigrants taking all the jobs....

Ha the idea that the British are lazy is an idea only people who have never been outside the UK have. Go to Spain, Greece or Italy...you'll find out what lazy means. Every football fan of every nation loves a trier. It makes them relate to the player as there's a guy that appears to care at least half as much as they do!

As Gary Player once said, the more I practise the luckier I get..

I think were seeing the fruits of Bale's hard work coming through now and I love the fact he recognises he needs to work harder to improve too

I'd agree with that NWND, having travelled most continents and currently living outside the UK, Brits that work are amongst the hardest workers around the globe. It's showcased a lot with the work ethic of expats compared to the local workforce internationally. However, our work-shy lot have it very cushty indeed.

I meant more that we appreciate footballers who apply themselves and criticise ones that we do not think are trying.

I meant more that we appreciate footballers who apply themselves and criticise ones that we do not think are trying.

Yeah sorry, went a bit off topic there.

Perfect example - Berbatov. Man U fans that didn't rate him mainly compared him to Rooney and Tevez. The reality is he is that good, he didn't need to chase every ball at 250mph.

Perfect example - Berbatov. Man U fans that didn't rate him mainly compared him to Rooney and Tevez. The reality is he is that good, he didn't need to chase every ball at 250mph.

I agree with Berbs, you know he isnt going to work as hard as some, but you let him off a bit due to his supreme talent, how many games did he win for spurs basically on his own, I so wish we had signed him back in the summer, with the players we have now he wouldve been immense

I agree with Berbs, you know he isnt going to work as hard as some, but you let him off a bit due to his supreme talent, how many games did he win for spurs basically on his own, I so wish we had signed him back in the summer, with the players we have now he wouldve been immense

H'mm :-k

Sure, but if the one with natural talent tried harder, he'd be an even better player.

I think what I am asking is whether British fans (or is it a northern European thing?) value application and effort over other attributes?

I think one sign of this could be British fans impatience with possession play, at any ground in the country you will hear fans screaming for a team to get the ball forward quickly, if it is being passed sideways or backwards.

I'd agree with that NWND, having travelled most continents and currently living outside the UK, Brits that work are amongst the hardest workers around the globe. It's showcased a lot with the work ethic of expats compared to the local workforce internationally. However, our work-shy lot have it very cushty indeed.

Sorry mate don't agree with some of that.

- Agree that Brits that work in the UK are very hard working. I suppose they have to in order to have a decent lifestyle.

- Don't agree with the work rate or ethic of of Brit expats in Africa. For a lot of them it is like a holiday, and a major upgrade to their
lifestyle. They come from living in a flat or a semi detached to be housed free in a mansion in a safe leafy suburb. On top of this they have company provided gardeners, house help, cook etc. In a place like Kenya, they spend as much time as they can to visit the game parks,
beaches, play golf, tennis ( membership provided by the company) BTW, this does not apply to the Brits alone. Most western expats are the same. What I have noticed is that we are getting more Asian expats. They cost less and work harder, and are usually more qualified. Plus they adapt more easily to the local conditions.

- Agreed The work shy lot need sorting out. The current welfare system in the UK will cause a disaster very soon.

All IMO of course.

In football you need to be cleaver with your hard work.

You need to rest with the ball, then press really intensively when you don't have it. Barca do this, and we are getting there.

Unintelligent hard work is pointless.

With that in mind I actually think we are probably the hardest working Spurs team in decades (with the possible excpetion of Ramos' small pinnacle) - we press very well and smartly.

I'd imagine most teams dont want have players that they have to carry in terms of work load. I would add sometimes it doesnt have to be over the full 90mins, a player can really get the crowd going by simply chasing a lost cause or closing the keeper down and winning back possession.

I find that a lot of times its more down to a lack of focus more than laziness for some players.

Yeah sorry, went a bit off topic there.

Personally I'd rather have Tevez than Berbatov. Tevez's ability is equally as good AND he tries hard.

Back