• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Guglielmo Vicario

I give every player a chance! I give players plenty of time. This is the first time I’ve ever seen a player and felt confident from the off that they are not good enough and never will be.

I’m not the type to shout abuse from the stands so you don’t have to worry about that.

But in 3 months time when he’s being slated and hounded by 60,000 game after game following mistake after mistake I will remind you of what I said!

EDIT: Players need time to adapt. They always need time to adjust.

But goalkeeping is goalkeeping. It’s a universal skill. There’s no way to teach a 26 year old how to keep the ball out the net. They can be improved upon slightly through coaching but it’s perhaps the one position where you either have it or you don’t.

I don’t believe this guy has it. I’d have felt more confident with Hugo in goal.

I hope he proves me wrong completely but I cannot see a happy ending to this story.

"I give every player a chance!" followed by a bunch of paragraphs on why you won't give this one a chance.

Serious question, I have only seen highlights, of matches, this pre season. From what I have seen of Vicario, I am not sure we have improved on our goal keeper situation. What do you guys think?
I'm not having that. He's made some class saves, and I don't think many gk's would have saved the goals. Swapping him with, say, Raya, wouldn't have changed anything. The goals have come because of defensive shortcomings.
Also, he's been here 5 minutes! A bit early to make him a spacegoat, uh? So many are shooting from the hip and judging players, sometimes before they've fudging kicked a ball for us!

"I give every player a chance!" followed by a bunch of paragraphs on why you won't give this one a chance.
That’s not fair really. He’s just pointed out he does not feel he’s up to it.

Does not mean he won’t give him a chance.

I’m with Craig. 1 game or 4 friendlies I have my doubts over this lad also.

3 times last night he made saves beyond the posts. That’s poor from a top GK you just give away corners. Means he’s not aware of his positioning. Even commentators mentioned it.

Top top goal keepers are hard to come by. Think we were fortunate that Lloris was so good for so many years. Does not mean this lad is useless but it’s a tough job.We will see.

3 times last night he made saves beyond the posts. That’s poor from a top GK you just give away corners. Means he’s not aware of his positioning. Even commentators mentioned it.

Top top goal keepers are hard to come by. Think we were fortunate that Lloris was so good for so many years. Does not mean this lad is useless but it’s a tough job.We will see.
I'd rather have my GK save a shot that possibly goes 1 inch wide, than have him stand and look at it flying in via the post!
Make sure, don't guess!

I'd rather have my GK save a shot that possibly goes 1 inch wide, than have him stand and look at it flying in via the post!
Make sure, don't guess!
Done it more than once. It was just an observation. Especially the way we defend corners at times.

I’m not writing him off. Just not that confident this guy is going to be a long term replacement we need. It’s been a funny one for a while where we never looked to have a succession plan for Lloris.

You both might be right; he may not turn out to be the keeper we need. But if you want to talk “fair” then I hardly think judging a player after 4 pre-season friendlies in a brand new team, with a brand new manager and in a brand new country is it. It’s incredibly unfair and “in 3 months time when he’s being slated and hounded by 60,000 game after game following mistake after mistake” seems to say he’s pretty convinced that he’ll be rubbish.

These are worrying posts especially when Raya was available, albeit not for the knockdown price the goons are now paying.

Hopefully he will improve with the gk coaches on the training ground so these worrying tendencies he apparently has are quickly erased.

If he manages to do that he will no doubt become a top keeper.

You both might be right; he may not turn out to be the keeper we need. But if you want to talk “fair” then I hardly think judging a player after 4 pre-season friendlies in a brand new team, with a brand new manager and in a brand new country is it. It’s incredibly unfair and “in 3 months time when he’s being slated and hounded by 60,000 game after game following mistake after mistake” seems to say he’s pretty convinced that he’ll be rubbish.

Only time will tell. Yes it might be unfair to judge him after a handful of games. At the same time there’s signs of a decent shot stopper in Vicario but there’s also signs of some frailties. Premier league is a tough place to be a Goal keeper and there will be constant and almost immediate scrutiny. Fair or not it’s just the way it is . Let’s hope he comes good.

I give every player a chance! I give players plenty of time. This is the first time I’ve ever seen a player and felt confident from the off that they are not good enough and never will be.

I’m not the type to shout abuse from the stands so you don’t have to worry about that.

But in 3 months time when he’s being slated and hounded by 60,000 game after game following mistake after mistake I will remind you of what I said!

But goalkeeping is goalkeeping. It’s a universal skill. There’s no way to teach a 26 year old how to keep the ball out the net. They can be improved upon slightly through coaching but it’s perhaps the one position where you either have it or you don’t.

I don’t believe this guy has it. I’d have felt more confident with Hugo in goal.

I hope he proves me wrong completely but I cannot see a happy ending to this story.
What aspects of his game do you think aren't good enough?

These are worrying posts especially when Raya was available, albeit not for the knockdown price the goons are now paying.

Hopefully he will improve with the gk coaches on the training ground so these worrying tendencies he apparently has are quickly erased.

If he manages to do that he will no doubt become a top keeper.
The only reason people are giving him grief is because Raya is going to Arsenal and they are not happy about it.

Done it more than once. It was just an observation. Especially the way we defend corners at times.

I’m not writing him off. Just not that confident this guy is going to be a long term replacement we need. It’s been a funny one for a while where we never looked to have a succession plan for Lloris.
There was only 1 occasion where you wouldn’t want your GK saving the shot though, the effort at the near post which even looked out when he touched it. The others were perfectly acceptable saves to make and ones I’d 100% want my keeper stopping not taking he risk and letting it hit the post or bar, or worse.

think this is a classic case of a commentator influencing opinions, it happens so much these days.

Let's see how he performs with a regular defence in front of him, more than any other part of a team defence is about understanding and confidence with your teammates.

What is it you think he is lacking in?
I have only seen brief highlights of the friendlees, so have no view.

Which is just odd. Surely he's going as no.2.
It doesn't matter if he was going as the new kit man, our fans were adamant they wanted Raya and got excited and were tinkled off when we didn't sign him, now he is signing for Arsenal at a knock down price, they are going to be even more tinkled off and the goalkeeper they didn't want is going to be in the firing line.

Not close to judging Vicario yet and thought he was v good v Shakhtar but cannot understand us not just paying £40m for Raya. That isn't over the odds for a crucial position. At least he won't be able to play against us on Sunday which might leave their very well organised defence a little disordered.

Wow some harsh comments about how poor he is, i have no idea if he will become our num 1 for a long time or not but persoally i am willing to give him more time to show if he can or not, i actually believe a couple of saves he has made were top class.

It doesn't matter if he was going as the new kit man, our fans were adamant they wanted Raya and got excited and were tinkled off when we didn't sign him, now he is signing for Arsenal at a knock down price, they are going to be even more tinkled off and the goalkeeper they didn't want is going to be in the firing line.

You think? I hope not. Hopefully most understand this building process and that Vicario is just as highly rated as Raya.
That said, some of our "fans".....

Not close to judging Vicario yet and thought he was v good v Shakhtar but cannot understand us not just paying £40m for Raya. That isn't over the odds for a crucial position. At least he won't be able to play against us on Sunday which might leave their very well organised defence a little disordered.
40m for a player with 1 year left on his contract and who just a month or so later the price has reduced to about 25m!?!

Had we been quoted fair value by Brentford at the start then he’d be our keeper, but they chanced their arm and have ended up with egg on their face trying to hawk him around on a half price deal before the season starts.

Back