• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Government U-Turn

Sheikh Ma Nuggets

Tony Parks
News just breaking of yet another Government u-turn, this time concerning tax breaks on charitable donations.

This latest u-turn joins the following:

1. Rape anonymity
2. Selling off the forests
3. Vanity photogapher on the public payroll
4. School sports
5. Scrapping free milk
6. Cutting Bookstart
7. Cutting debt advice
8. Cutting housing benefit for long-term jobseekers
9. Coastguard cuts
10. Circus animal bans
11. BBC World Service cuts
12. Enshrining the Military Covenant in law
13. Cutting support for disabled people in care homes
14. Automatic prison sentences for carrying a knife
15. Immigration target policy reduced to an "ambition
16. 50% sentence reductions for an early guilty plea
17. Scrapping the office of chief coroner
18 Scrapping the Youth Justice Board
19. Scrapping domestic violence protection orders
20. Unannounced Ofsted inspections
21. Child benefit
22. Video games tax relief
23. Granny tax
24. NHS targets
25. Armed forces capability cuts
26. Joint Strike Fighter
27. Recalling MPs
28. International aid - 0.7% target
29. Scottish referendum timing
30. Pasty tax
31. Caravan tax
32. Secret inquests
33. Charity tax

I'm not greatly political at all, so don't have any agenda to push - but, in my opinion, it doesn't appear to be very good government if you're constantly changing your mind? I think we could all appreciate the odd one of two changes in approach or strategy, but a whole raft of them? Doesn't exactly fill one with confidence that they have the slightest fudging clue what they're doing, does it? Moreover, the financial projections which are released are - at least - consistent...consistently miles off.

No problem at all with having strong Government. But this is now becoming embarrassing; weak, flaky policies and laughable number-crunching.

How can they get things so wrong, so often??? Were they a board of directors, they'd be disbanded on a vote of no confidence.

The financial projections are compiled by the OBR and ONS. I agree it's amazing how off they can be, that's economics for you!

I also agree the government are a bunch of weak willed popularity freaks. We need to raise taxes and cut spending somehow an the bottom line is we either do it off our own steam or well go the way of Spain and Italy. That's not hyperbole, it's fact. Grow a pair and tell the vested interests, that's the rich who use charity to find their pet projects, the unions who fight every cut and the likes of Greggs who use an opaque and frankly baffling Vat code to their advantage.

Government ain't a popularity contest. The idea that you can 'reject' austerity I'd akin to saying you 'reject' death!!! :)

Only two certainties in life, death and taxes.

Why u-turn on the 'pasty tax'?

I can't imagine people that eat at places like Greggs regularly vote Conservative.

Because these clowns really want to believe that 'white van man' would ever vote for them and it shows they're not out of touch with 'real people' whatever the flying fudge that means.

Utter clown shoes.

The charity thing was predictable as it effects traditional Tory voters the most.

This just shows there are NO easy targets. No **** is ever going to admit that they don't really mind paying more in taxes and getting less from the government! Just tax the fudging money and have done with it. They've put off most of the actual cuts as well in the bane hope that the EU would sort out that collective cluster fudge before the real heavy lifting is done.

We are royally fudged. If Spain goes the country is fudged. Not as fudged as the eurozone, which is the case now but you wouldn't know with the fudging hysterical bleating of every ****. a nation of ****s and whingers with their hands out. Wanting the government to solve every fudging problem in the world. Just as long as the same government should do something they don't like GHod forbid. A nation of crying NIMBY's.

Which is worse?

A government that drives through brick policies regardless of public opinion.

Or a government that does u-turns on brick policies, based on public opinion.

Which is worse?

A government that drives through brick policies regardless of public opinion.

Or a government that does u-turns on brick policies, based on public opinion.
Is "a government that doesn't come up with brick policies to begin with" not an option?

Is "a government that doesn't come up with brick policies to begin with" not an option?

Well yes, that's utopia.

But serious question, which would you rather have.

I won't bother listing the brick Labour policies that were rammed down ALL of our throats.

I just don't think u-turns are necessarily a bad thing. A u-turn smells of democracy.

I'd say we currently have a government that does u-turns on good policies based on public opinion, so c) neither of the above.

What we have is an electorate that wanted a party to cut who don't want any of the cuts to effect them personally.

I just don't think u-turns are necessarily a bad thing. A u-turn smells of democracy.
But too many smells of not really knowing what you're doing.

Obviously you'd hope they'd back out of policies they've got wrong, and for stuff like the charity tax that's not really a big deal (although how that ever got through is beyond me), but when it costs us money we haven't got (JSF) it's a bit more galling.

call me a cynic but it is a good way of allowing the voter to feel as though they 'have a say' - U turning that is, when there is an outcry.

its got to be better than the "blind alley, arrogant" politics of labour where they would go with it no matter what the public or the experts warned would happen

this age of mass media we are always going to have a system whereby a policy is created and then mass public opinion follows - it makes sense to a point, it almost becomes like a media referendum (of course it has to be taken with a pinch of salt as we dont want a the media making decisions (well, not anymore than they have for the last 20 yrs)

But too many smells of not really knowing what you're doing.

Obviously you'd hope they'd back out of policies they've got wrong, and for stuff like the charity tax that's not really a big deal (although how that ever got through is beyond me), but when it costs us money we haven't got (JSF) it's a bit more galling.

But the JSF decision will save billions and well have two QE2 class carriers rather than one. That is an example of the right decision even though it cost money. I'd add it's the 100,000 clowns at the MoD that let the government down as they changed their recommendations. As someone quite famous said, 'when the facts change I change my mind, what do you do sir'?

Sounds quality. Love brick food, my council estate childhood comes out! Favourite tea to this day is chicken nuggets chips and beans or corned beef and chips :)

Back