• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Got back from the Lane

In my experience on this board, the use of the word "Mate" is one of condecention.

I've noticed that and think its a strange internet thing. Mate seems to be used to patronise or condescend most of the time, especially when tacked on the end. Or at least it tends to come over that way, even if not intended. You don't seem to get the same use in person. Perhaps there is something lost without the intonation of the spoken phrase.

I dont think Ive ever sworn as much as I did today at the game, dropped well over 100 c bombs in 90 mins..

Not impressive I know but its Chelsea, they just wind me up so much

£0, £4m, £0, £0, £8m; £6m, £2.5m; £1m, £8m, £6m; £15m

£7m, £9m, £7m, £22m, £15m; £16m, £18m; £22m, £25m, £32m; £50m

Your point was patronising though. Read it again from the recipients point of view.

In my experience on this board, the use of the word "Mate" is one of condecention. Your use of it didnt appear at all congenial to me.

Perception is everything. If you view 'mate' on this board as condescending then no doubt you probably think I am the most patronising clown shoe here. I use it often because it's how I speak when having a chat with people. The internet is an unforgiving medium. Let me just say that in your case, I shall no longer use the word 'mate' given how you take it.

I've noticed that and think its a strange internet thing. Mate seems to be used to patronise or condescend most of the time, especially when tacked on the end. Or at least it tends to come over that way, even if not intended. You don't seem to get the same use in person. Perhaps there is something lost without the intonation of the spoken phrase.

This might well be the case. I might assume that people understand it's intonation, and as such, when reading it, can see how it would be intended. Frankly I've never ever used the word 'mate' as patronizing. If I want to put that across, I'd use a word like 'son' or 'pal' as in 'come on son' or 'take it from me pal'...

Perception is everything. If you view 'mate' on this board as condescending then no doubt you probably think I am the most patronising clown shoe here. I use it often because it's how I speak when having a chat with people. The internet is an unforgiving medium. Let me just say that in your case, I shall no longer use the word 'mate' given how you take it.

Thank you.

Look at my comment on the "OMT" thread and tell me if you perceive that as patronizing or not.

Last edited:
Thank you.

Look at my comment on the "Just got back from WHL" thread and tell me if you perceive that as patronizing or not.

Ahhhhhhhh, apologies, I wrote a reply thinking you were asking me about your initial post in THIS thread. Doh! Must pay attention!!!
I just saw your comment in the OMT and absolutely not, I took it quite the opposite way, as though you were engaging in non-hostile discussion.

I could have forgiven AVB for losing the game if he'd got the tactics right but they were better on the day. The fact is, we lost our two best players at short notice so it's obvious that we wouldn't play as well as we have done in the past. However, the decision to play Dempsey on the left wing was utter madness. There's nothing about him that suggests he should play on the left wing, the guy is an attacking midfielder playing behind a main striker, he doesn't have the pace or dribbling ability to play on the wing. And yet, we actually had a fast, dribbling who could have come in on the left wing, that has done well in every appearance he's made so far this season.....and he didn't even get on the pitch as a substitute. The Livermore for Huddlestone sub was one that MIGHT have been worthwhile if we were winning but were under the cosh, we weren't. So it made no sense. Huddlestone's delivery had been dangerous and could have been even more so if Ade had been on the pitch. The Ade for Dempsey sub came far too late in the game.

Sure, AVB gave a Churchill-esque speech at half-time to rouse the players for 20 minutes, but this is yet another game we have dropped points in as a result of dogbrick tactical decisions. AVB is supposed to be an intelligent, footballing geek, but in every game we have dropped points in this season except for Saudi Sportswashing Machine away he has failed to spot some basic basic things going wrong. I appreciate that managers won't get it right every time, and I will forgive the odd shocker every now and again, but there have already been three league games thrown away through tinkle poor tactics and it's only October, that's as well as the shocker in the first half against QPR.

I've really not been impressed by AVB's tactics so far and I don't understand why he isn't spotting some of these things because they're absolutely ridiculous.

Don't think it was AVB's tactics today that done for us...those 3 playmakers the Chav's have got will win them the league if they stay fit and healthy this season and to still be in the game at half time was a minor miracle.
We got lucky and then the luck evened itself out again and they finished the game as they started it.
You don't need to like the c**** but in Oscar, Hazard and especially Mata they have players that would have given us a game even if we had Kaboul Parker Benny Bale & Dembele available!

or £44.5m v £223m - over five times more!!!

Puts some perspective on the game!

That ends any debate when Chelsea/Emirates Marketing Project fans pipe up and say "Well Spurs have spent lots of money too." They also ignore the fact their wage bills are probably more than double ours.

Ahhhhhhhh, apologies, I wrote a reply thinking you were asking me about your initial post in THIS thread. Doh! Must pay attention!!!
I just saw your comment in the OMT and absolutely not, I took it quite the opposite way, as though you were engaging in non-hostile discussion.

I always try and engage in interesting, non hostile discussion. We are, after all, all Spurs fans and want the best for the club. It is just when some erstwhile posters like MC used to be accusatory and claimed I was "fabricating the evidence" and indulged in personal slights, that I get wound up! A mere mention of a "mate" or two between mates is neither here nor there -unless it is deliberately intended to be patronising, which, as I said, on this board in my experience it often is.

I always try and engage in interesting, non hostile discussion. We are, after all, all Spurs fans and want the best for the club. It is just when some erstwhile posters like MC used to be accusatory and claimed I was "fabricating the evidence" and indulged in personal slights, that I get wound up! A mere mention of a "mate" or two between mates is neither here nor there -unless it is deliberately intended to be patronising, which, as I said, on this board in my experience it often is.

Gotcha!
Generally speaking with me, I try to be very straight-forward in that sense. I'll keep an eye in the future just to make sure I don't come across as patronising though, absolutely not my intention.

FFS - we were up against an almost full strength Champions of Europe team who have spent about £70m in strengthening their side. Mata, Oscar and Hazard behind Torres are all world class players. On the other hand we have lost two world class players (Modric and VDV) and had arguably 6 or 7 or our first team out -

Lloris
Kaboul
BAE
Parker
Dembele
Bale
Ade

7 top players (and some of them our BEST players) missing.

Lets get some perspective guys

fudging spot on.

You should read some previous comments mate, no-one is being hard on the side at all, indeed, we've all said similar to you in one frame or another. There are now just some specific tactical points being discussed, that's all.

We need to move on from Modric and VdV as fans.

sorry steff. i disagree. i stopped reading the match thread because almost every player was brick.

Last edited:
Back