• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

googbye top 4

strange, most gooners i know think they have been a much better side, this year they play as a team whilst last season they were carried by one individual. i don't know how anyone who watched them last season and this can say otherwise really.

im not trying to kid anyone - it was clear to me last summer that both Chelsea and Arsenal were most likely going to be back in front of us in the pecking order, we regressed as a team whilst they improved - im sure if anyone could bump the season predictions thread from the beginning of last summer you'd have found i was saying exactly the same thing as i am now.

I do agree at the start of the season I had us down to finish 5th, but you know what? Goals and expectations change as the season goes on. Can anyone honestly say at the beginning of 2011/12 that we would be in the hunt to finish 3rd above the likes of both scums?

Yeah I agree Redknapp made some tactical mistakes, but do you not think the likes of Dembele, Sandro, Bale, Lennon, Defoe and Adebayor should be able to break teams down like Stoke and Norwich at home?

None of those players has the vision to play a through ball or any type of creative pass.
Its all pace and dribbling ability and shooting technique.

They arent gonna break down a defensive team with incisive passing.

I do agree at the start of the season I had us down to finish 5th, but you know what? Goals and expectations change as the season goes on. Can anyone honestly say at the beginning of 2011/12 that we would be in the hunt to finish 3rd above the likes of both scums?

Yes, i certainly feel we had a better side than Arsenal last year. I thought we would finish ahead of them. Between us and Chelsea? Hmmm. I felt it was a toss up.

Arsenal a better team than us. We may have some better individual players but as a team they are miles ahead of us.

And last year we were better than then? And yet the difference between this season and last season is that we lost Modric, they lost Van Persie. Van Persie was far more important to them than Modric was to us and Van Persie is a far better player than Modric.

Yes, i certainly feel we had a better side than Arsenal last year. I thought we would finish ahead of them. Between us and Chelsea? Hmmm. I felt it was a toss up.

You truthfully believed at the beginning of the season not the middle or towards the end that we would be above both of them and 4th would be a failure?

That's my point. Is it Levy's fault for not backing AVB enough or is it poor choice by AVB? It can't be Redknapp's fault. Levy took another gamble in January and didn't back AVB.

I hope that's not your point, because it's a crap point. We got far more players than just those two, and improved on a variety of different positions.

Is it not taking a gamble if we don't actually have the money? Your point seems to base itself on the assumption that we had far more to spend. I don't see where this comes from.

And last year we were better than then? And yet the difference between this season and last season is that we lost Modric, they lost Van Persie. Van Persie was far more important to them than Modric was to us and Van Persie is a far better player than Modric.

We also lost King and van der Vaart. They also increased the strength of their central midfield, while as ours got 10 times weaker.

Giroud isnt as good as van Persie, not in the same league, but he is certainly better than anything we have up front.

Your making selective statements to gain your desired slant on the argument, conveniently ignoring other facts.

That's my point. Is it Levy's fault for not backing AVB enough or is it poor choice by AVB? It can't be Redknapp's fault. Levy took another gamble in January and didn't back AVB.

I don't think any sensible person can say that AVB is blameless this year or that Redknapp is blameless last season. But I sensible person can't say either of them are to blame for us failing to qualify for the Champion's League. Quite often the fault lies with our own expectations as the season goes on.

I would have been content with 5th at the start of the season so if we magically climb back up to 3rd this year and drop to 5th on the final day I'll still be content. Last year I would have been content with 5th also, and we got 4th. So I was happy. It's just a shame that it wasn't enough to qualify for the Champion's League.

We also lost King and van der Vaart. They also increased the strength of their central midfield, while as ours got 10 times weaker.

Giroud isnt as good as van Persie, not in the same league, but he is certainly better than anything we have up front.

Your making selective statements to gain your desired slant on the argument, conveniently ignoring other facts.

King hardly featured last season. Rafael wasn't wanted by the new coach, so I don't view him as being a forced loss. Also Bale has more than adequately replaced Rafael in that role.

I hope that's not your point, because it's a crap point. We got far more players than just those two, and improved on a variety of different positions.

Is it a gamble if we don't actually have the money? Your point seems to base itself on the assumption that we had far more to spend. I don't see where this comes from.

I only mentioned those two because they are the ones who replaced VDV.

Interesting how you say we've improved in certain areas and yet we are weaker than last season.

You truthfully believed at the beginning of the season not the middle or towards the end that we would be above both of them and 4th would be a failure?

I didnt say i thought 4th would be a failure. I said that i believed we had a better side than Arsenal, and that it was a toss up between us and Chelsea. I thought we would finish ahead of Arsenal, and had the resources to do it.

Interesting how you say we've improved in certain areas and yet we are weaker than last season.

Its not that much of a paradox; if Arsenal replaced Chesney with Lloris and Cazorla with Parker they would have strengthened one position and
still become a weaker team. Simples.

How is that interesting? You can improve in certain areas and not improve as a team.

We were weaker in the center without Modric. However would you have wanted Brad to be our keeper this year? Would you have been happy without Vertonghen?

I am getting the impression certain posters on here were critical of last season and now the same is happening this year they have to spin facts to ensure they can be less critical this year because they like the man in charge?

I didnt say i thought 4th would be a failure. I said that i believed we had a better side than Arsenal, and that it was a toss up between us and Chelsea. I thought we would finish ahead of Arsenal, and had the resources to do it.

Well I never believed at the start that we would be above Chelsea. I thought Chelsea would be challenging for the title. I expected us to get 5th at the start, then I was convinced we would get at least 4th.

if i was being cynical id say this whole stance of yours is nothing more than an extension of the Redknapp arguments last season :-"

last season it was clear throughout that we were better than Arsenal and Chelsea.

this season the same cannot be said at all (seeings as you've been one of the teams harshest critics this season id have assumed that you felt the same) and anyone who looked at the comparative fixtures between ourselves and Arsenal after the NLD knew that a 7 point lead was not that much in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited:
Back