• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Going backwards

It's really quite amazing.

Spurs have played 14 games this season.

Won 11.

Drawn 1.

Lost 2.

Scored 27 goals.

Conceded 5.

Kept 11 clean sheets.

Equaled our best start to a Premier League season.

Are two points better off than in the identical fixtures last season.

And there are still people who find things to complain about.

I appreciate your sentiments, but I think that we should always be looking at ways to improve what we have. If we finish 2nd, do we really just think, 'oh, we've finished second, let's pat ourselves on the back for the achievement but we will completely ignore deficiencies'? Of course we shouldn't, we should be looking for ways to become even stronger and to finish in that first position.

We should always be looking to improve and complaints, and questions regarding performance are not always complaints but are questions raised for the consideration of certain tactics or a certain selection of players. Those questions can then be debated so that we may review our stance on the subject based on a wider set of ideas and opinions about the current scenario. That's the whole essence of a forum, isn't it? We can't have a forum where everyone agreed with everyone else, it would never work. A forum works on the grounds that people have different ideas.

Remind me again how many people last season talked about our goal difference being less than that for each of Chelsea and Arsenal and the potential negative impact that it could have had.

That's a bit of a red herring, to tell the truth.

Goal difference has played little or no effect during the Premier League Era.

It's points on the board which count.

So you don't agree the overwhelming priority is to win?

Yes, but we were leading 2-0 in the last 5 minutes of a game. Do you not think it unlikely that the opposition would have scored 2 goals in the last 5 minutes? And that's disregarding the chance that perhaps we might have scored a goal ourselves which would have taken the game that much further past the opponents.

That's a bit of a red herring, to tell the truth.

Goal difference has played little or no effect during the Premier League Era.

It's points on the board which count.

How often has Goal Difference been crucial and decided who finished in European spots, or who won the league, or who was relegated?

As I said, hardly ever during the PL Era.

Emirates Marketing Project won the title on goal difference two seasons ago. More often than not it doesn't make the difference but it doesn't hurt to have a healthy goal difference just in case. How gutted would we all be if we missed out on 4th on goal diff? Could see it happening to us too :lol:

Emirates Marketing Project won the title on goal difference two seasons ago. More often than not it doesn't make the difference but it doesn't hurt to have a healthy goal difference just in case. How gutted would we all be if we missed out on 4th on goal diff? Could see it happening to us too :lol:

It wouldn't hurt to have a better goal difference, but in search of that increase you could end up dropping points.

A clean sheet is worth 2.5 points in the Premier League on average, whereas a goal is worth 1.5

It wouldn't hurt to have a better goal difference, but in search of that increase you could end up dropping points.

I accept that but I think we have a tendancy to take our foot off the pedal once we get to 2-0 or 3-0. Some may argue that it's smart as you conserve energy, but you can't tell me players don't gain huge confidence from beating teams by big scorelines.

A clean sheet is worth 2.5 points in the Premier League on average, whereas a goal is worth 1.5

Just to follow this up:

So what do the numbers say? Even after controlling for a host of other factors, clean sheets significantly increase the odds of winning the match. Not only that, but the effects are big- really big. Going from not having a clean sheet to having one increases the average team's odds of coming away with 3 points from .20 to .72 - a staggering difference in the probability of winning of .52. To put this in perspective, to generate a similar swing in points the average team would have to go from taking 0 shots on goal to 50 - statistically speaking, that is.

http://www.soccerbythenumbers.com/2011/03/value-of-clean-sheets-season-update-for.html#more

Back