• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Giovani Lo Celso

Sounds as though the club agreed to Lo Celso and Romaro going for the first two games and knew they would have to quarantine upon return. There should be no fines levied and I'm sure will be no fines levied.

As far as i understand it. Ally gold said it as well. Spurs said we are not authorising. But we can't really stop you. If you go, don't play the 3rd game do your quarantine in croatia for the 10 days and we'll deduct a few days pay. The players agreed.

Last edited:
I'm not a lawyer and obviously don't have access to their contracts, but I imagine it's quite a bit more complicated than that.

The club and players obviously agreed that they would report to training in Croatia rather than full in room isolation in the UK.

If they're fined I think it will be over the manner in which they left. Lack of confirmation from the club that they could go is what's being reported. But does the club have the right to not allow them to go? I imagine that too is more complicated. FIFA have said that the clubs couldn't refuse them from going.

Just hope a better solution is found for the next set of fixtures.

See my post above but think of it another way.

You work for a company as a builder. You have holiday. You book a weeks holiday in spain. While there the rules change and you have to quarantine on return. You don't go into work. Your boss doesn't pay you for the days you miss.

This happened a milion times last summer. Why should footballers be different?

The rules didn't even change. They knew.

As far as i understand it. Ally gold said it as well. Spurs said we are not authorising. But we can't really stop you. If you go, don't play the 3rd game do your quarantine in croatia for the 10 days and we'll deduct a few days pay. The players agreed.
I don't think we ever 'authorise' players playing for their countries. Players picked for their country automatically go unless they are injured (and even then the player's country can insist their doctor takes a look at the player to confirm the injury, though that rarely happens in reality). It is a FIFA rule that clubs have to release players who are selected for their country.

You work for a company as a builder. You have holiday. You book a weeks holiday in spain. While there the rules change and you have to quarantine on return. You don't go into work. Your boss doesn't pay you for the days you miss.

The big difference is that the players were not going on holiday. They were going to represent their country and it is mandated that clubs have to release players to their countries for internationals. The scenario is therefore that the builder fulfills his contractual obligations by going overseas to carry out work and then has to quarantine upon his return.

If THFC have fined those players then I hope the players complain and the PFA takes up the case and THFC lose it.

Contacts for a start
I don’t know a builder who has an employment contract
It will be in the details written down

I don't think we ever 'authorise' players playing for their countries. Players picked for their country automatically go unless they are injured (and even then the player's country can insist their doctor takes a look at the player to confirm the injury, though that rarely happens in reality). It is a FIFA rule that clubs have to release players who are selected for their country.

It's not about players playing for their country. It's about them playing for spurs. The club that paid money for them, that pays their wages. Their employers. If they can't do that why pay them?

Fifa are not a government, they do not make laws. They are a governing body, only because the nations and clubs agree to them being. The head of uefa said yesterday that they and european, south american clubs would veto the world cup if it was every 2 years.

The big difference is that the players were not going on holiday. They were going to represent their country and it is mandated that clubs have to release players to their countries for internationals. The scenario is therefore that the builder fulfills his contractual obligations by going overseas to carry out work and then has to quarantine upon his return.

If THFC have fined those players then I hope the players complain and the PFA takes up the case and THFC lose it.

They are mandated to be released for the international break. Not 10 days after.

Contacts for a start
I don’t know a builder who has an employment contract
It will be in the details written down

As someone posted a contract earlier in the thread. It's down to the player to report back to the club once the international break is over.
They not back in time they don't get paid.

It's not about players playing for their country. It's about them playing for spurs. The club that paid money for them, that pays their wages. Their employers. If they can't do that why pay them?

Fifa are not a government, they do not make laws. They are a governing body, only because the nations and clubs agree to them being. The head of uefa said yesterday that they and european, south american clubs would veto the world cup if it was every 2 years.
Because what a player is and isn't allowed to do is written into his contract. Playing for their international team when selected is part of the contract at the club who pays their wages.

The rule where clubs have to release players was voted in long ago with UEFA not disagreeing to this rule (after all it benefits the countries in their jurisdiction as much as anyone).

Hosting a WC every 2 years instead of 4 years would be a change that requires the various confederations to vote for in order for it to become reality. We may then see a power struggle between FIFA and UEFA if UEFA decides to try to veto as the most powerful regional association... remember also that a huge majority of the WC TV rights come from Europe.

Hosting a WC every 2 years and clubs having to release players for internationals are two very different things as one is already in place and approved by UEFA.

As someone posted a contract earlier in the thread. It's down to the player to report back to the club once the international break is over.
They not back in time they don't get paid.
Who says that they have not reported back to the club? The players have freed themselves from their country and are back under the jurisdiction of THFC. It is not the players fault that government regulations stop them from entering the UK. The fact that the club have sent a fitness coach to Croatia so that the players can train makes it pretty clear that the players have not been fined IMO. If the club fined me and then sent over a fitness coach for me to train, I'd tell them where to go and that I'm not training seeing as I'm not getting paid!

Because what a player is and isn't allowed to do is written into his contract. Playing for their international team when selected is part of the contract at the club who pays their wages.

The rule where clubs have to release players was voted in long ago with UEFA not disagreeing to this rule (after all it benefits the countries in their jurisdiction as much as anyone).

Hosting a WC every 2 years instead of 4 years would be a change that requires the various confederations to vote for in order for it to become reality. We may then see a power struggle between FIFA and UEFA if UEFA decides to try to veto as the most powerful regional association... remember also that a huge majority of the WC TV rights come from Europe.

Hosting a WC every 2 years and clubs having to release players for internationals are two very different things as one is already in place and approved by UEFA.

If it is written in my contract and supported by law that i get 20 days paid holiday a year. I get 20 days paid holiday a year. If i go to a country that is on the red list and spend 10 days in quarantine. Meaning i go over by 10 days. My employer doesn't have to psy me for those days.

If it is written in my contract and supported by law that i get 20 days paid holiday a year. I get 20 days paid holiday a year. If i go to a country that is on the red list and spend 10 days in quarantine. Meaning i go over by 10 days. My employer doesn't have to psy me for those days.
The club sending a fitness trainer to Croatia to train the players suggests to me anything but the players being on 'holiday'.

Good luck THFC with convincing an employment tribunal that the players were on holiday while sending an employee out to Croatia to train them! :D

Again
It depends on their specific contracts
I was asked to go abroad for a customer
The agreement was they would put me for my quarantine time. Wasn’t needed in the end

Someone posted a contract of a chelsea player. They get released for the international break, then report back to the club when it's over. If they are late back, that is down to them.

Reason why they are late back doesn't matter. They missed the plane, went partying cause they qualified for the wc, wanted to spend time with their nan...

Every players contract will have that agreement in.

Someone posted a contract of a chelsea player. They get released for the international break, then report back to the club when it's over. If they are late back, that is down to them.

Reason why they are late back doesn't matter. They missed the plane, went partying cause they qualified for the wc, wanted to spend time with their nan...

Every players contract will have that agreement in.
Except our players have 'reported back'..... Hence the club sending a fitness coach over to Croatia to train them.

Who says that they have not reported back to the club? The players have freed themselves from their country and are back under the jurisdiction of THFC. It is not the players fault that government regulations stop them from entering the UK. The fact that the club have sent a fitness coach to Croatia so that the players can train makes it pretty clear that the players have not been fined IMO. If the club fined me and then sent over a fitness coach for me to train, I'd tell them where to go and that I'm not training seeing as I'm not getting paid!

I suppose the club could say we'll arrange for you to serve your quarantine in Croatia rather than a Heathrow hotel, we'll send out a fitness coach so that you don't fall too far behind, but you'll be fined for those 10 days because you have 'chosen' to put yourselves in that situation.
Pretty unlikely I think in practice however.

Back