• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Giovani Lo Celso

Yep each u21 squad has 25 players (not including those loaned out). That is a huge number of players each year released.

Some of them maybe late developers. Or just not really had a chance to show anyone what they can do. They get released and have to scratch around. At least clubs can say to them. Look you probably won't make it at spurs/palace/everton etc... but you'll have a place here if you are released.

This is one of my favourite bugbears, at 18 players need to be playing against men not kids the same age, they need the physical challenge and help from playing with a few experience players. I think we need a reserve league as there use to be, it was a step up from youth team football and teams were a mix of young players and experienced 1st teamers who can't get in team, it provided the young lads experience and kept players not in first team match fit. Premiership teams have 9 players on bench and probably a couple of extras with the team, this limits the number of players available who could be used in that sort of competition.

How the hell would it kill smaller teams? The opposite would be true, their games would have more people watching.
You cant sustain 130 odd professional clubs. We already have twice as many as most countries - lots only have 2 pro leagues, we have 4.5. Something would have to give - ie League 2 dropping to semi-pro

You cant sustain 130 odd professional clubs. We already have twice as many as most countries - lots only have 2 pro leagues, we have 4.5. Something would have to give - ie League 2 dropping to semi-pro

we shouldn't be trying to, a lot of those clubs would be better off in local semi-pro leagues like the GM Vauxhall Conference

We sustain the u21 teams anyway. What would be the difference if they played against competitive teams? There is no adding to cost.

GLC has been called up for Argentina... not sure what that means since Messi was also called up and has been injured for the past few weeks. Hopefully GLC will at least be fit when he comes back but time will tell how our internationals will fare.

GLC has been called up for Argentina... not sure what that means since Messi was also called up and has been injured for the past few weeks. Hopefully GLC will at least be fit when he comes back but time will tell how our internationals will fare.

Are you joking, he doesn't want to play for us he's happy to take the money and have trips with Argentina.

Are you joking, he doesn't want to play for us he's happy to take the money and have trips with Argentina.
I had an inkling of hope that he might be part of the squad this season but that quickly vanished after 4-5 matches played. At this point, all I can hope for is Romero to come back unscathed.

It tells us exactly what we already knew. He's not good enough nor dedicated enough to get into our match day squad, and just sticks around and pretends to be injured, cashes his pay check, then miraculously "recovers" just in time to play for Argentina. Rinse and repeat.

It tells us exactly what we already knew. He's not good enough nor dedicated enough to get into our match day squad, and just sticks around and pretends to be injured, cashes his pay check, then miraculously "recovers" just in time to play for Argentina. Rinse and repeat.
Why would he not want to play for us? It's not like he's asked to dig trenches. He's asked to play football. Which he needs to do, if he wants to continue to get picked for Argentina.

Haven't Argentina had a policy in recent years that if you don't report for duty, you get dropped from the team? Maybe that was just in the run up to the World Cup, but if they are still pursuing that policy then I can see why a player might feel obliged to join up with the squad even if not fit enough to play.
Equally I think Lo Celso favours his international obligations more than his Spurs ones.

Why would he not want to play for us? It's not like he's asked to dig trenches. He's asked to play football. Which he needs to do, if he wants to continue to get picked for Argentina.
It seems he's not one that tolerates not being first choice. I can't remember when or where, but I vaguely recall seeing stories about him not being the most likable person ever, and that many in the squad when he was here last time, didn't like him very much.

I suppose he ran his nuts off and played a great game in the knowledge he can have a nice rest until the next international.
This did make me laugh:D

But in all seriousness, he now has an opportunity to make a real claim. He has had much criticism on here, most of it justified but I suspect some of it unfair as I don't believe as a professional footballer he only has an interest in playing for his country and not for Spurs.

With Maddison out, I don't see a better alternative available and could have the opportunity to show he belongs here and in the PL. But it really is last chance saloon for him, I do believe he can play a role here but not going to get my hopes up....

This did make me laugh:D

But in all seriousness, he now has an opportunity to make a real claim. He has had much criticism on here, most of it justified but I suspect some of it unfair as I don't believe as a professional footballer he only has an interest in playing for his country and not for Spurs.

With Maddison out, I don't see a better alternative available and could have the opportunity to show he belongs here and in the PL. But it really is last chance saloon for him, I do believe he can play a role here but not going to get my hopes up....
The better alternative is certainly not playing Hojberg instead. Even if GLC can't match Maddison he can approximate what he does for us and keep the same system and shape in play. It's a no brainer to play him there until we see it doesn't work and then try something different.

The better alternative is certainly not playing Hojberg instead. Even if GLC can't match Maddison he can approximate what he does for us and keep the same system and shape in play. It's a no brainer to play him there until we see it doesn't work and then try something different.
I just don’t see it. Barely ever seen Lo Celso assist a goal, score a goal or make a key pass in the premier league. Would be very high up on my sell list for January (though o doubt we’d be able to find a buyer)

Back