• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Gerard Deulofeu

RHULSpur

Kevin Dearden
So the rags are linking us with a loan deal for the latest Barcelona wunderkind, 19 year old Gerard Deulofeu. The Daily Mail says he scored 18 goals in 33 games for Barcelona B last season. He's a left sided forward who seems comfortable anywhere along the forward line. It seems Barca are trying to get him a high level loan to bring him on as his position has effectively been taken by Neymar in the current first 11 and he's probably behind Cuenca and Tello in the pecking order too. The papers are saying it's between us and Everton on a season long loan.

Thoughts?

Seems highly rated, would be all for it. Bale & Lennon with Townsend & Deulofeu as backup.

Seriously? I think he's utterly useless (as did Barca, Juve and Villareal given they chose to release him)

Yes seriously. I don't care whether the guy has been released by every club in the world, I judge a player by what I see with my own eyes....

Seriously? I think he's utterly useless (as did Barca, Juve and Villareal given they chose to release him)

I think I read he was awarded player of the year in the Spanish equivalent of the championship - a division that also contains Barcelona's starlet-filled B side.

He also looked a tidy little player to me in his UEFA cup cameos for us.

If we have a clause in there to sign him permanently and if he's happy to join us permanently if he does well at his loan and if there's no silly low price buy back clause for him to return to Barca then sure.

If it's just for a year to aid his development then I don't see the point.

If we have a clause in there to sign him permanently and if he's happy to join us permanently if he does well at his loan and if there's no silly low price buy back clause for him to return to Barca then sure.

If it's just for a year to aid his development then I don't see the point.

interesting. you have something against stop gaps?

interesting. you have something against stop gaps?

Stop gaps that strengthen the first team are fine. A stop gap backup player that might end up getting time on the pitch ahead of Townsend who we could be developing into a more long term solution is not.

Of course if Deulofeu is good enough to slot straight into our team and strengthen us or play 25 games as part of the first team squad and make us stronger than we would be by giving that game time to Sig or Townsend then that's fine too. I'm just not sure he's that good at this point.

He's apparently looked good in the u21 world cup, like I said in another thread I think Townsend would have looked very good in that and so would Sig. Yes, yes, they're too old, but if it's only for a year then it's really all about how good the player is now regardless of his age.

Smart signing for Everton, even if its only on loan.

For some reason I think they do well on loan players, though only Landon Donovan springs to mind.
Can anyone think of our best loanees? Adebayor was great business as a loan (not so much when bought after!). Frazer Campbell was in my mind a flop, though to be fair we were short of quality up front that year and too much was expected too soon.

Any more?

Adebayor 2011-2012 was outstanding.
Eidur Gudjohnsen 2009-2010 was very smart.
Mido 2004-2006 was pretty solid.
Stephane Dalmat 2003-04 beat up a player or two.

For some reason I think they do well on loan players, though only Landon Donovan springs to mind.
Can anyone think of our best loanees? Adebayor was great business as a loan (not so much when bought after!). Frazer Campbell was in my mind a flop, though to be fair we were short of quality up front that year and too much was expected too soon.

Any more?

Toda...

Any more?

Mido was alright, I guess.

Back