• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

General Transfer Rumour Discussion Thread

Didnt this clown come out with something about him last week? Bid accepted i think?

He said we'd agreed a deal with the player. Now he's saying we've agreed terms with his club and that the deal is done. It seems pretty nailed on that we're in for Werner and the Telegraph reported we'd sent a delegation to Germany last week to try and get him.

He does seem to be available for a Levy-friendly price and the last time we sent any senior club officials abroad to get a deal done, it was done very quickly (Alderweireld). So there could be something in this...although there could equally be not :)

He said we'd agreed a deal with the player. Now he's saying we've agreed terms with his club and that the deal is done. It seems pretty nailed on that we're in for Werner and the Telegraph reported we'd sent a delegation to Germany last week to try and get him.

He does seem to be available for a Levy-friendly price and the last time we sent any senior club officials abroad to get a deal done, it was done very quickly (Alderweireld). So there could be something in this...although there could equally be not :)

A definite maybe, which is better than a no chance. And the "levy-friendly price" gets it to the top of the list of happenings to me.

Some Spanish journo on a radio show over here (so no link I'm afraid and I didn't even catch the guy's name) claims De Gea is on his way to Madrid and Bale is "very likely" to move in the opposite direction. He mentioned all sorts of petty shenanigans going on behind the scenes at Real Madrid between Ronaldo and Bale, with Benitez being reluctantly forced to take sides or risk a high profile blow-out by CR7. The guy sounded more like an entertainment journalist talking about a soap opera than a sports journo talking about a football club. But if even half of it is true, it sounds like there's a deep problem at Real Madrid at the moment (one that goes way beyond Bale and Ronaldo) and Benitez is going to have his hands full.

Goes without saying, take with the same huge pinch of salt you'd apply to a "Daily Express 48 hours" story.

Some Spanish journo on a radio show over here (so no link I'm afraid and I didn't even catch the guy's name) claims De Gea is on his way to Madrid and Bale is "very likely" to move in the opposite direction. He mentioned all sorts of petty shenanigans going on behind the scenes at Real Madrid between Ronaldo and Bale, with Benitez being reluctantly forced to take sides or risk a high profile blow-out by CR7. The guy sounded more like an entertainment journalist talking about a soap opera than a sports journo talking about a football club. But if even half of it is true, it sounds like there's a deep problem at Real Madrid at the moment (one that goes way beyond Bale and Ronaldo) and Benitez is going to have his hands full.

Goes without saying, take with the same huge pinch of salt you'd apply to a "Daily Express 48 hours" story.
It'd be more believable if it was Ronaldo going back to united, especially with him being out of the squad for tomorrows game.

a new midfielder name to ponder....Kevin Vogt, yeah never heard of him but he will be cheap

Tottenham are weighing up the summer transfer of Koln’s Kevin Vogt.

The defensive midfielder would be Spurs’ second arrival from Koln after the north London side secured the signing of Kevin Wimmer in May.

Mauricio Pochettino is thought to be very interested in Vogt, according to reports in Germany, and could make an offer before the transfer window is up.

The 6ft 4in German star would be an ideal replacement for Benjamin Stambouli who left White Hart Lane for Paris Saint-Germain for a fee of £6million last month

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2015/08/03/tottenham-weigh-up-up-transfer-of-kevin-vogt-5325457/#ixzz3hlzngTmP

Desperation? Or Levy's poker face?

Whoever we sign it will be too late to integrate them so most we can expect is a sub appearance against United. Still we should have an improved defence on last season.

Just this year's Stambouli...it's a waste of time to keep buying players who aren't good enough. We then have to sell them on, often making a loss in the process, before going to get another in the same mould??

Why not spend more on players that are of a higher quality. That method will cost us less in the long run than the revolving doors policy that we seem to be currently operating.

"The wheels are in motion at Manchester United, reports the Mirror. The British publication reports that a £20 million deal for Pedro will be finalised in the next 48 hours."

No comment...o_O

Desperation? Or Levy's poker face?

Whoever we sign it will be too late to integrate them so most we can expect is a sub appearance against United. Still we should have an improved defence on last season.

well Alderweireld should be a better defender than what we had, but we will still ship goals because the defence doesnt have the proper protection required

I don't think Dubai has an agenda really. He believes taking more of a risk by spending that little bit more would be a better way to run the club and is choosing to believe that the reason why we have missed out on past players is because we are driving too much of a hard bargain. That's fair enough and could be true. We just don't think so and unfortunately can't persuade him otherwise either!

I agree with Dubai on the principle of signing quality players. No one knows the truth if what might have been except a very few at the club. However, I agree with Dubai we largely missed the boat. The time to strengthen our squad was when we were actually in the CL or the season at Chrimbo when we were sitting in third and a quality signing would imo have seen us over the line.

My take on history is that we came to a fork in the road twice in our recent history and we took the wrong road both times. We may be close to that fork again but unless we act swiftly and decisively we will only lag further and further behind the top four with no realistic hope of CL in the near future.

To say we should just rely on youth is naive in the extreme. Let's take the best case scenario. No one ( I don't think even the uber optimists amongst you expect top four this season or even next). So let's say we mount a credible challenge in year three. That will mean players like Kane, Bentaleb, Eriksen and say Lloris maturing into quality, CL players. Then what happens? The Oligarchs come in and steal them. Hence, we are back to square one and have to start all over again. We will forever be a feeder club. The richest clubs will get ever richer and buy players at excessive amounts and we will remain the poor relation. This is the cycle we are now locked into I fear.

@Pirate55 I've asked everyone to give it a break on going over our transfer history for a while. This topic has been done to death and means that conversation on current transfer activity gets crowded out. By all means start another thread, if you want to discuss this again.

@Pirate55 I've asked everyone to give it a break on going over our transfer history for a while. This topic has been done to death and means that conversation on current transfer activity gets crowded out. By all means start another thread, if you want to discuss this again.

Sorry. Just got to the end of the thread. Will desist as requested.

I agree with Dubai on the principle of signing quality players. No one knows the truth if what might have been except a very few at the club. However, I agree with Dubai we largely missed the boat. The time to strengthen our squad was when we were actually in the CL or the season at Chrimbo when we were sitting in third and a quality signing would imo have seen us over the line.

My take on history is that we came to a fork in the road twice in our recent history and we took the wrong road both times. We may be close to that fork again but unless we act swiftly and decisively we will only lag further and further behind the top four with no realistic hope of CL in the near future.

To say we should just rely on youth is naive in the extreme. Let's take the best case scenario. No one ( I don't think even the uber optimists amongst you expect top four this season or even next). So let's say we mount a credible challenge in year three. That will mean players like Kane, Bentaleb, Eriksen and say Lloris maturing into quality, CL players. Then what happens? The Oligarchs come in and steal them. Hence, we are back to square one and have to start all over again. We will forever be a feeder club. The richest clubs will get ever richer and buy players at excessive amounts and we will remain the poor relation. This is the cycle we are now locked into I fear.
I think we should do what Yogi Berra said when giving directions to his house: "Keep going straight and when you get to a fork in the road, take it."

The biggest issue with this transfer window is quite simple: we have seemingly passed on numerous players we could've afforded and who ended up at clubs with less financial clout and arguably prestige than we have. Just look at the list of players who went for fairly modest prices (by today's standards) that would've been contenders for starting XI places this Saturday against United for us: Cabaye, Clasie, Imbula, Suarez, Ayew, Payet, Wijnaldum, Konoplyanka, and soon, Aranguiz. There's some serious quality in that mix of players (and many who would fit the criteria of Pochettino's high press system), all went for less than 16 million pounds of transfer fees, and they all ended up at clubs with wage bills significantly smaller than ours. So why did we pass on all of them? I have a hard time imagining we had an interest in any of them and they just didn't want to move to us. Alternatively, it seems that there was an undercurrent among some fans that perhaps we had better players lined up, which struck me as wishful thinking. We are working within the confines of a transfer policy where you can't spend more than you bring in via sales, and even if you're sitting on a 25 million pound surplus, it's unlikely that Levy will spend that on August 31st on a single player.

So that brings us to the present. Here's what people have to understand about shopping late in the 2015 transfer window. The EPL television deal has changed everything for teams in the league. West Brom will not be bullied into selling Berahino on Levy's financial terms, as it makes no sense when they could keep him, potentially assure being in the top flight next season, and guarantee a payday of 100+ million pounds in television revenue. The same thing goes for Everton and McCarthy. These clubs don't need to sell these players unless you make it worth their while to a degree that the financial windfall would serve as a hedge against any performance related revenue dip they'd suffer as a result.

To some degree, we'll also have issues buying from the continent, as teams abroad know English clubs are swimming in cash. This is made even more difficult by the fact that we are seemingly interested in some very important players at clubs that are actually more prestigious than us (Dortmund) or are in the Champions League (Leverkusen and Lyon). These teams have their own ambitions, and again, the only way they'd part with important players in their squads is if you compensated them tremendously. Does anyone seriously think we'll pay 25+ million pounds for Kramer or Bender in the latter part of August? How would Leverkusen and Dortmund go about spending that money so late in the window? That's the issue with trying to buy genuine quality in late August. It's really hard, unless the player has only 1 year on his contract left and will take active steps to move to your club, the selling club has major financial woes, or the player has a release clause (see Fazio last season).

Unless Levy is seriously ready to engage in a net spend that involves spending above and beyond what we've been told is our maximum transfer outlay, then what we'll see is likely a signing or two not too dissimilar to Stambouli and Fazio. Serviceable players from much smaller clubs who you hope can add squad depth and improve over time, but will struggle to catch up with the rest of the squad having missed out on training with them all summer. We might be able to sign someone like Timo Werner, but he's not ready to come in and be a major force for you yet, as he isn't the finished article, and will take a lot of time to settle (1 goal and 0 assists in his last 24 games at Stuttgart).

This is the strongest collection of talent in Premier League history in my opinion. Mid-table clubs are spending the television revenue from the television deals of 2013-2016 and are not afraid to spend even more on the basis of an extra 50 million pounds of TV revenue to come after next season. As currently constituted, our squad is vulernable to results suffering as a result of a squad that lacks major experience and depth that can cope with playing a high pressing style over the course of 4 competitions. We are even more vulnerable to an injury crisis, which can decimate even highly talented teams. Go look at Dortmund last season as an example. Better squad than us on paper with an elite manager, but with injuries, loss of form, and players not developing, they had a disastrous domestic campaign.
Such a good post, this.

well Alderweireld should be a better defender than what we had, but we will still ship goals because the defence doesnt have the proper protection required

There was a post not that long ago bursting that myth by looking at midfield performance last season and showing how our midfield had performed exceptionally well in protecting the defence, a lot of long passes punctured us though.

Back