• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

General Transfer Discussion Thread

Southampton will be fools to accept that deal; Rodriguez has far more end product than Townsend. I think Townsend has potential but it's whether he will ever realise that potential which is the question mark that hangs over his head.

Southampton will be fools to accept that deal; Rodriguez has far more end product than Townsend. I think Townsend has potential but it's whether he will ever realise that potential which is the question mark that hangs over his head.

for southampton its also a challenge of attracting the right players there. townsend is an england international. they will be happy with that.

@SunMartinB 7h

#mcfc have had enquiries from spurs and arsenal for Nastasic. One to keep an eye on tmrw #afc #thfc @SunSportNow

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/tottenham-hotspur/transfers/verein/148?saison_id=2011&pos=&detailpos=

We made that net spend back the next season. Actually, scratch that, we made substantially more than we'd spent in 2011. However, when push came to shove (January 2012), and we needed that bit of investment to push us over the line, where was that money that had been thrown around with such abandon (30 million pound bids for Aguero, Dzeko, Rossi and Llorente) on the deadline day in 2011 to absolutely no avail? Harry needed a centre-back and a striker: he got two ageing free transfers, and what happened next was somewhat inevitable given that frugality. We'd made money on the previous season's transfers, yet didn't spend any, expecting Harry to secure CL football on the cheap.

It was well known that Ramos was displeased with having to enter the season stripped of Berbatov and Keane and forced to rely on Bent, Pavlyuchenko and Fraizer Campbell, and again, that is mostly public knowledge. Then, post Ramos and harry, came AVB, and I point you to my earlier posts for evidence of how we treated that man. Now Poch is the man in the dugout, and much the same thing seems to be happening.

Rodgers and 'value for money' signings don't fit in the same sentence: I'm not sure any of his signings would seem like 'value for money' to Levy. Lallana for 27 million wouldn't be a signing Levy would have allowed anyone to make: Joe Allen on 100k a week, likewise. Mamadou Sakho for 16 million certainly doesn't classify as 'value for money', and I'm not sure it did at the time either. And yet, Rodgers was afforded the understanding and freedom to pull off those deals, without interference: particularly in Joe Allen's case. Again, I'm not suggesting we spend on the level of Liverpool, or as heavily as Liverpool, or as frequently as we did in the early part of Levy's time here. I am suggesting that we back the man in charge now, for his first window, which is the most important one in his Spurs career. We didn't do that with AVB. We cannot afford to fail Poch the same way, else we'll have another supremely promising manager on the dump eighteen months for now and will be on the lookout for the next coach willing to use cheap alternatives to his primary targets to secure the CL football that is apparently an ironclad requirement of all managers at WHL.

Spending 100's of millions is a sure way to success - as long as you have a sheikh and eat the losses. Where should we find 27 million for Lallana or 100k a week for Joe Allen. Joe Allen! Its crazy money. Levy has tried to eek out every last penny possible through commercial activity and allows managers to spend all the surplus on players. We spent 56 million on 2 players last Summer, I'm not sure I'd call that frugal. Liverpool's income dwarfs ours, hence our pressing desire to get into a new stadium. How can we expect to pump endless money into the team and simultaneously fund the stadium? You don't find 400 million down the back of the sofa (not in my house anyway).

Who should we have bought when you say we needed investment to get into the CL? Lack of signings wasn't the only reason we missed out (also had something to do with a ****ney wide boy and the England job lest we forget). "Throw money at it" is the suggestion every 10 year old in the country would come up with - "daddy, why don't we just buy better players than the ones Emirates Marketing Project have?" We can't do that however, and I just can't understand people clammering for it. 30 million is still 30 million during a time of unstable economies and changeable economic climate. Just because there is money swashing around the premier league today, doesn't mean there will be tomorrow. I for one am happy to see us remaining competitive and living within our means. I certainly don't want Levy to be taking Risdale style gambles with the club.

Honestly, with 36k stadium and limited overseas glory hunting fanbase, where should we find 100k a week for the likes of Joe Allen? We aren't trying to get in the champions league on the cheap: we are doing the best to compete with richer clubs within our own financial restrictions.

Also worth mentioning it was confirmed that Liverpool would have failed ffp but didn't affect them as they weren't in Europe.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/tottenham-hotspur/transfers/verein/148?saison_id=2011&pos=&detailpos=

We made that net spend back the next season. Actually, scratch that, we made substantially more than we'd spent in 2011. However, when push came to shove (January 2012), and we needed that bit of investment to push us over the line, where was that money that had been thrown around with such abandon (30 million pound bids for Aguero, Dzeko, Rossi and Llorente) on the deadline day in 2011 to absolutely no avail? Harry needed a centre-back and a striker: he got two ageing free transfers, and what happened next was somewhat inevitable given that frugality. We'd made money on the previous season's transfers, yet didn't spend any, expecting Harry to secure CL football on the cheap.

It was well known that Ramos was displeased with having to enter the season stripped of Berbatov and Keane and forced to rely on Bent, Pavlyuchenko and Fraizer Campbell, and again, that is mostly public knowledge. Then, post Ramos and harry, came AVB, and I point you to my earlier posts for evidence of how we treated that man. Now Poch is the man in the dugout, and much the same thing seems to be happening.

Rodgers and 'value for money' signings don't fit in the same sentence: I'm not sure any of his signings would seem like 'value for money' to Levy. Lallana for 27 million wouldn't be a signing Levy would have allowed anyone to make: Joe Allen on 100k a week, likewise. Mamadou Sakho for 16 million certainly doesn't classify as 'value for money', and I'm not sure it did at the time either. And yet, Rodgers was afforded the understanding and freedom to pull off those deals, without interference: particularly in Joe Allen's case. Again, I'm not suggesting we spend on the level of Liverpool, or as heavily as Liverpool, or as frequently as we did in the early part of Levy's time here. I am suggesting that we back the man in charge now, for his first window, which is the most important one in his Spurs career. We didn't do that with AVB. We cannot afford to fail Poch the same way, else we'll have another supremely promising manager on the dump eighteen months for now and will be on the lookout for the next coach willing to use cheap alternatives to his primary targets to secure the CL football that is apparently an ironclad requirement of all managers at WHL.

Who did Liverpool spend on this January then when they looked likely to qualify for the CL and/or push on for a title challenge?

Lallana now? £27m after qualifying for the CL and selling Suarez. But I suppose the fees we paid for Paulinho, Lamela and Soldado aren't at all comparable for whatever reason?

Sakho was expensive. A widely reported fee for Vertonghen when we signed him was £11m. Is the difference so large that "Rodgers was afforded understanding and freedom" whereas our manager wasn't even being supported? Particularly in the context of not expecting us to spend on the level of Liverpool, as heavily as Liverpool or as frequently?

And your definition of backing Poch now is to just go out and sign Schneiderlin whatever he costs? Without any way of knowing if this is even something Poch would want. Without knowing that this is in line with what Poch was presented with as our transfer strategy when signing.

Also worth mentioning it was confirmed that Liverpool would have failed ffp but didn't affect them as they weren't in Europe.

True.

The SS news are saying that Spurs have reiterated that Townsend is definitely staying.

Falcao. Wow, good signing. For the record I said we should sign this guy the first time him play for Porto, but nobody listened!!!!

The SS news are saying that Spurs have reiterated that Townsend is definitely staying.

Falcao. Wow, good signing. For the record I said we should sign this guy the first time him play for Porto, but nobody listened!!!!

Pretty sure we were linked before he went to Porto.

SSN: A new bid of 15M for Townsend

Gotta take that one. no??

I think now is when Levy should respond with a counter offer. I imagine previously he will have just said 'no' but now id just say '17.5m and he is yours'. or 17.5m + 5m cash for MS

Back