• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Gareth Bale

Well lets hope the next time he dives to save his career he gets up and holds his hands up to say thats what he was going, cause he certainly wasnt fudging doing it for that 'challenge' on him.

do you know what was said to him by Agger?

who would have believed that Zidane would do what he did?

do you know what was said to him by Agger?

who would have believed that Zidane would do what he did?

I have to agree with MC here...

I am more surprised that the other Spurs players didn't come in to mediate, and let the Dippers escalated the incident. The ref already blew for a foul before the shovings started, also if Bale was booked for shoving, then why did Johnson escape a booking?

i would rather have a bale that dives from time to time than no bale at all

the guy is a superstar in the making

i would rather have a bale that dives from time to time than no bale at all

the guy is a superstar in the making

Absolutly agree, the guy is world class and we are lucky to have him. However, I'd rather a Bale who doesn't dive at all over a Bale who dives occasionally

[video=youtube;VxohXc99Hvc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxohXc99Hvc[/video]

Its in no way the first time either unfortunately. You can't accuse Alonso of attempting a hidious tackle here (a bit of a joke excuse for the agger one imo), I can't believe it's even in question whether Bale dives or not. He needs to sort it out and some on here need to accept that he does it.

Have you watched this? Watch it closely. Alonso's foot catches Bale's foot. Not the ball first. The foot. Is it egregious? No. Could it be enough to trip him? Yes. Again, there is 100% contact in this video. So not sure what you're trying to say...

Have you watched this? Watch it closely. Alonso's foot catches Bale's foot. Not the ball first. The foot. Is it egregious? No. Could it be enough to trip him? Yes. Again, there is 100% contact in this video. So not sure what you're trying to say...

This is the kind of dive which I'm ok with. Could he have stayed on his feet? I definitely think he can but he got the contact and went down. That is part and parcel of modern football, if someone puts his foot in and there is even the slightest contact a player will fall over. The difference is that Agger knew he wasn't going to win the ball so pulled out of the challenge and Bale went down claiming there was contact.

In fact the two incidents are almost identical, except Alonso didn't pull out of the challenge and left his foot in there for Bale to trip over. He is within his rights to try to get a free kick vs Alonso as there was contact, but shouldn't be claiming one against Agger

El G is correct. It was evasive action. Those who claim he dived have clearly never played football at a reasonable level. For skillful players playing at speed the options are either to take evasive action or get a broken leg. Dont blame Gareth for taking evasive action - he was getting kicked to high heaven the rest of the game, both before and after that incident. Remember a similar tackle by the ex Blackpool thug virtually ended his season last year.

I'll say it again - he didn't jump out the way of Agger's tackle, he fell over once he had gone past it.

FALLING OVER IS NOT A FORM OF SELF-PROTECTION!

It was a dive, and Bale dives a lot. Clearly diving bothers some people less than it does others; personally I think it's shameful, pathetic, and a blight on the sport. Some people might think that's dramatic or preachy, but it's how I feel.

If you want the link to watch it again, let me know. Agger comes steaming across with no intention other than to play the man and perhaps the ball. He sticks a leg out, Bale (who has already knocked the ball beyond him and Johnson) has to shift his weight to get away from the challenge it looks like is coming in, he falls over. As for what he's saying, I would imagine it is along the lines of 'when is someone going to have a fudging word about people who have no interest in attempting a fair challenge?' If you genuinely think he took a dive there, and if you genuinely think that Agger's movement and intent was not to intimidate, then fantastic, enjoy that.

Funny thing is, none of us have his physique and speed, none of us know what it's like to run at top speed with a ball and have to evade/avoid even potential fouls, and none of us know how easy it is to lose balance at speed. IF he has gravity issues, then don't you think he'd be suffering them a little more in and around the penalty area as opposed to the right fudging wing about 40 yards out from anywhere?

I'm getting tinkled off with the level of sanctimony generally in this thread, along the lines of 'if you don't think Bale's a diver then we'll sticky this thread and wave it at you the next time everyone jumps on his back for something'...no-one needs to store this in 'classics' it's absolutely fine, I have no problem whatsoever giving my opinion on the matter. In the meantime (and this is for everyone on their high horse) down you get and stop pointing fingers. The last time this particular sort of thread happened, someone started on at me about my 'moral code'...again, invitations to all who want to challenge that too!

If you want the link to watch it again, let me know. Agger comes steaming across with no intention other than to play the man and perhaps the ball. He sticks a leg out, Bale (who has already knocked the ball beyond him and Johnson) has to shift his weight to get away from the challenge it looks like is coming in, he falls over. As for what he's saying, I would imagine it is along the lines of 'when is someone going to have a fudging word about people who have no interest in attempting a fair challenge?' If you genuinely think he took a dive there, and if you genuinely think that Agger's movement and intent was not to intimidate, then fantastic, enjoy that.

Funny thing is, none of us have his physique and speed, none of us know what it's like to run at top speed with a ball and have to evade/avoid even potential fouls, and none of us know how easy it is to lose balance at speed. IF he has gravity issues, then don't you think he'd be suffering them a little more in and around the penalty area as opposed to the right fudging wing about 40 yards out from anywhere?

I'm getting tinkled off with the level of sanctimony generally in this thread, along the lines of 'if you don't think Bale's a diver then we'll sticky this thread and wave it at you the next time everyone jumps on his back for something'...no-one needs to store this in 'classics' it's absolutely fine, I have no problem whatsoever giving my opinion on the matter. In the meantime (and this is for everyone on their high horse) down you get and stop pointing fingers. The last time this particular sort of thread happened, someone started on at me about my 'moral code'...again, invitations to all who want to challenge that too!

Well said THFCStaff. The idiots who are being so sanctamonious are probably just tv watchers. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Bale deserves better. Better protection, better support and better understanding. He is simply our best player by a long way. Look at the stats. Dont criticise him for trying to stay uninjured.

I'm just waiting for Billy Graham, Martin Luther king, the Archbishop of Canterbury and Jesus to join in, and then we will have a full set of Saints and Apostles preaching the good word.

I wonder how many of the sanctimonious would - if gifted with Hindsight at the end of the season, having been deprived of Bale's skills due to having his ankle or leg broken for the last 3 months, would happily recant and trade Bales propensity to jump out of the way of agricultural challenges - for their lofty ideals?

Before you all rush me with kindling and burning torches, I too wish he was a little more robust and and steady on his feet - but then again I'd also like to see some of the tackles that cripple the lad on so many occasions get a little more punitive treatment.

Bales worked out a way to keep himself playing, it might not be pretty at times, but if it keeps him on the teamsheet and the scoresheet, I'll settle for it.

Right, who's got the petrol, and who's got the matches?

great post, the bolded part is right on the money imv

If Bale diving around means he stays fit and useful to Spurs, then by all means Gareth you have my blessing to carry on auditioning for the GB Olympic diving team

and by the way, if Spurs suffer as a result of an opposing player diving to win a pen, or gets one of our players booked/sent off, then c'est la vie. I have no problem with it, i wont be moaning thats for sure. As i said, id rather our best players were available to play all season, and not spend time in the treatment room as a result of being 'honest'

Fact is top teams have top players who push the laws to the limit in order to succeed. Spurs are now amongst the elite, our players are targeted, we have to expect that our players will do what it takes to win matches

I've wondered how long success would turn us into Man U/Arsenal fans. 4 months in third will do it.

May be we can try not to call name on our Spurs brothers...

I know between Bale and Suaracist, which one I prefer, and I am proud to standby our own player.

ah i didnt realise that to be a Spurs fan or player means to bend over and take it, we have to oblige anyone who wants to take advantage of us.

what a fool ive been for wanting us to stand up for ourselves, even if it means pushing the laws to the limit just like every other team does

Gareth, stop diving, simply bend over instead!!

No one wants him dead, Indian. He can still protect himself from tackles without diving, cheating and pretending to be hurt. I think that is the point many on here are attempting to make, especially considering the vitrol being poured out on a weekly basis towards Suarez, Arsenal, Drogba, Ronaldo, etc.

Messi stands up for himself by never attempting to gain unfair advantage from a situation - that is the highest level of integrity, imv - something to be proud of. Not falling over like a soft qnut. And he's arguably on the receiving end of many, many more tackles overall.

No one wants him dead, Indian. He can still protect himself from tackles without diving, cheating and pretending to be hurt. I think that is the point many on here are attempting to make, especially considering the vitrol being poured out on a weekly basis towards Suarez, Arsenal, Drogba, Ronaldo, etc.

Messi stands up for himself by never attempting to gain unfair advantage from a situation - that is the highest level of integrity, imv - something to be proud of. Not falling over like a soft qnut. And he's arguably on the receiving end of many, many more tackles overall.

I have seen Messi go to ground/dive on several occasions. So do all skillful players used to taking a beating. Part of the game. Last time I looked, to take evasive action was not a crime. Simulation for the sake of gaining an unfair advantage is a football crime however. It is clear that Bale was not trying to gain an unfair advantage, simply taking evasive action. Better that than having a player with a broken leg.

What does that mean?
It means that after just four months of 3rd in the league our fans now seem to think it's OK to dive to gain an illegal advantage, just because 'everyone else does it'. I'm just not buying the 'he was avoiding injury' line at all; I thought at first he was diving out of the way of a lunge, but he's gone past Agger before going over and appealing for a foul. It's not nice at all, but nor is the reaction of some of our fans.

I've wondered how long success would turn us into Man U/Arsenal fans. 4 months in third will do it.

LOL...what a cowardly thing to say. And a stupid one too. Sorry, I'm not usually rude, but this is the absolute height of toss. There again, I'm sure you've enjoyed yourself with that one, so I suppose that's what's important...must've ben the extra shredded wheat! ;-)

Back