• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Gareth Bale

I had my doubts about signing him as his injury record was poor and his age, I still doubt he can play 90 minutes again but he is a better player than the one we sold. His passing and movement has developed, his second goal was a perfect example of this, he knows he hasn't got the pace but his awareness of team mates is far better. Starting him allows us to play Moura in the middle and although Moura is not a creator his pace and ability to break the defensive midfield shield causes panic in teams and makes space and changes angles.

I had my doubts about signing him as his injury record was poor and his age, I still doubt he can play 90 minutes again but he is a better player than the one we sold. His passing and movement has developed, his second goal was a perfect example of this, he knows he hasn't got the pace but his awareness of team mates is far better. Starting him allows us to play Moura in the middle and although Moura is not a creator his pace and ability to break the defensive midfield shield causes panic in teams and makes space and changes angles.

this, I'm tired of the pundit narrative that he is somehow a worse player than the one who left

- His movement, his ability to ghost his man without needing full pace, his passing, his positioning, his headers are all miles ahead of the guy who left.

Add the experience and the fact that he is a big game player (he turns up when it matters), he could be the difference between this being a mediocre season and a great one.

No idea how as a defence you deal with Bale, Son, Kane, Reguilon, +1

this, I'm tired of the pundit narrative that he is somehow a worse player than the one who left

- His movement, his ability to ghost his man without needing full pace, his passing, his positioning, his headers are all miles ahead of the guy who left.

Add the experience and the fact that he is a big game player (he turns up when it matters), he could be the difference between this being a mediocre season and a great one.

No idea how as a defence you deal with Bale, Son, Kane, Reguilon, +1
He is a different player which is why they can’t identify the difference

glad we're seeing sense and starting Bale. Yes he might need to come off after 70 but you need that rather than chasing a game with 20mins to go. He's got the X Factor, needs a break on Thurs, has to start vs Arsenal.
Good thing is Thursdays game is one where we can make a lot of subs

Yep pretty sure Mourinho never really wanted him.

Bale to me is like when you’re bursting for a massive dump, you squeeze hard, and all that comes out are two tiny pebbles.

He made more effort coming off when subbed than he did during the game. Tarnished legacy.

I'm not sure how anyone can defend this waste of space. Clear as day the desire is not there. Came back here because the atmosphere was toxic at Madrid.

The wrong manager for him.

A complete waste of money and time.

Criticisms of the player? I never understood them whatsoever.

Criticisms of the manager? I absolutely stand by the comment when I made it.

Equally, full credit to him for recognizing that he needs a bit of bespoke love alongside match fitness (and for twigging that when you have Bale/Kane/Son, playing for a goal you can then sit on is asinine to say the least). I have no problem seeing Mourinho prove he can manage Kane. Why would I? It benefits my club!!!!

I also want to be very clear, because your post basically throws any criticism involving his name into one post; I backed Bale's signing 100%, I still believed in him, I would still have felt it was the right signing at the right time even if he had not have worked out, and I always believed he was Levy's baby not Mourinho's request.

Clearly no-one will ever know what has been going on, but glad we after where we're at.

Last edited:

Equally, full credit to him for recognizing that he needs a bit of bespoke love alongside match fitness (and for twigging that when you have Bale/Kane/Son, playing for a goal you can then sit on is asinine to say the least). I have no problem seeing Mourinho prove he can manage Kane. Why would I? It benefits my club!!!!

I also want to be very clear, because your post basically throws any criticism involving his name into one post; I backed Bale's signing 400%, I still believed in him, I would still have felt it was the right signing at the right time even if he had not have worked out, and I always believed he was Levy's baby not Mourinho's request.

Clearly no-one will ever know what has been going on, but glad we after where we're at.

It’s also worth pointing out that Steff is the only person I know who helped fund the loan deal by paying 200 quid for a replica shirt with Bale on the back. For a few months it looked like a cursed purchase but now he can wear it with pride.

Last edited:
I think bales criticism was fair and just, he didn't look like he was up for it and even building up to his recent form he looked bang average at best.

Very excited to have signed him having dreams of him ripping it up for us .... then a massive downer only to be smacked in the face with his current form ... the emotions of being a fan of football.

Nothing wrong in having opinions that change like the wind hahah

This might be stupid...

I see Bale playing a similar role to what Eriksen played when he was used wide. Adding so much creativity and quality on the ball both with close control, passing and shooting.

Obviously they don't play the role in the exact same way, but having that added creativity in the wide position really adds aspects to our game that's otherwise been missing.

Used to say about Eriksen that we just needed to get him the ball with a little bit of space in the attacking areas and he would make things happen. Same looks true for Bale right now, perhaps even better at creating that little bit of space for himself.

The way he was switching play was a joy to behold and adds something to our game that usually only Kane brings with any real frequency from attacking roles, and Kane can't obviously stay wide as much.

Real headache for opponents that Bale at almost any moment can just ping the ball out to Son or Reguilon on the other side. It's part of what's made Liverpool so difficult to play against at their best, though for them it's mostly been the full backs doing it.

This might be stupid...

I see Bale playing a similar role to what Eriksen played when he was used wide. Adding so much creativity and quality on the ball both with close control, passing and shooting.

Obviously they don't play the role in the exact same way, but having that added creativity in the wide position really adds aspects to our game that's otherwise been missing.

Used to say about Eriksen that we just needed to get him the ball with a little bit of space in the attacking areas and he would make things happen. Same looks true for Bale right now, perhaps even better at creating that little bit of space for himself.

The way he was switching play was a joy to behold and adds something to our game that usually only Kane brings with any real frequency from attacking roles, and Kane can't obviously stay wide as much.

Real headache for opponents that Bale at almost any moment can just ping the ball out to Son or Reguilon on the other side. It's part of what's made Liverpool so difficult to play against at their best, though for them it's mostly been the full backs doing it.
I thought he was running the game while he was on, which is why he was my MOTM.

I also want to be very clear, because your post basically throws any criticism involving his name into one post; I backed Bale's signing 400%, I still believed in him, I would still have felt it was the right signing at the right time even if he had not have worked out, and I always believed he was Levy's baby not Mourinho's request.

To be fair, your post is not the same as the others in that group, but it was a needless dig at our manager, who also needs patience.

To be fair, your post is not the same as the others in that group, but it was a needless dig at our manager, who also needs patience.

Fair enough, I disagree. I think his performance at our club as manager deserves context (he has managed through an incredibly tough time) but patience? I hope the story behind this season of Bale comes out. My bet is that Levy has been a major factor in helping the manager determine how to get the best from him.

Regardless, glad we are where we are right now.

And you've got the shirt to prove it.

:D

Fair enough, I disagree. I think his performance at our club as manager deserves context (he has managed through an incredibly tough time) but patience? I hope the story behind this season of Bale comes out. My bet is that Levy has been a major factor in helping the manager determine how to get the best from him.

Regardless, glad we are where we are right now.

I think you could be right.
I said the other day I had a theory built on what's gone on the last 2/3/4 weeks.

Jose has gone from being bemused/frustrated about Bales behaviour around his fitness/body to saying quite clearly twice that Bale is experienced, he knows best, and knows his body best.

There was a definite change there and that change (in Jose's world) would never come about without a third party being involved, and the only third party at the club he'd ever (be forced to) listen to is Levy.

It sounds as though Bale has been empowered to be in control of his body and fitness. That would be massive in Bales eyes, not just physically but mentally, basically the pressure is off, he calls the shots.

On the flip side, Jose would hate this as he is a control freak BUT he is pragmatic enough to accept something is working. He's never stupid though, and that's why he flags these points in his press conferences as he like to make it clear what's happened as if it goes wrong he's not to blame.

People (Jose) can get quite frustrated if others (in this case all hopefully fighting for the same goals) are not like them, and Bale does come across as quite a delicate flower, bit shy, and would bottle stuff up rather than kick off (I'd say Ndombele is similar). Jose is straight talking, bullet proof, super confident and I'd imagine he'd get exasperated with said players if he thinks they're flaky or weak-minded. And although he will give them time, he'd quickly become exasperated as it would grate on him 'why can't they be like me' and feels it's just unnecessary extra work to get them integrated and pulling in the right direction...it's as though they're stragglers.

Of course they're (Bale, Ndombele) world class players, and although I completely understand that Jose is the way he is (and that's fair enough, we are all different), you've just got to be flexible enough to work it out for the greater good of the team, an who knows, sometimes maybe even he is still learning.

I think you could be right.
I said the other day I had a theory built on what's gone on the last 2/3/4 weeks.

Jose has gone from being bemused/frustrated about Bales behaviour around his fitness/body to saying quite clearly twice that Bale is experienced, he knows best, and knows his body best.

There was a definite change there and that change (in Jose's world) would never come about without a third party being involved, and the only third party at the club he'd ever (be forced to) listen to is Levy.

It sounds as though Bale has been empowered to be in control of his body and fitness. That would be massive in Bales eyes, not just physically but mentally, basically the pressure is off, he calls the shots.

On the flip side, Jose would hate this as he is a control freak BUT he is pragmatic enough to accept something is working. He's never stupid though, and that's why he flags these points in his press conferences as he like to make it clear what's happened as if it goes wrong he's not to blame.

People (Jose) can get quite frustrated if others (in this case all hopefully fighting for the same goals) are not like them, and Bale does come across as quite a delicate flower, bit shy, and would bottle stuff up rather than kick off (I'd say Ndombele is similar). Jose is straight talking, bullet proof, super confident and I'd imagine he'd get exasperated with said players if he thinks they're flaky or weak-minded. And although he will give them time, he'd quickly become exasperated as it would grate on him 'why can't they be like me' and feels it's just unnecessary extra work to get them integrated and pulling in the right direction...it's as though they're stragglers.

Of course they're (Bale, Ndombele) world class players, and although I completely understand that Jose is the way he is (and that's fair enough, we are all different), you've just got to be flexible enough to work it out for the greater good of the team, an who knows, sometimes maybe even he is still learning.

It's really an interesting dynamic if true

- So many thought Jose and Levy were just a disaster pairing, yet clearly a lot of respect there, lot of experience (both knew each other very clearly), both quite pragmatic men.
- Jose has a history of wanting/expecting players to run through walls for him/team and side lining those he felt weren't doing it

You now have one player for certain in Ndombele, perhaps Bale and we also know Levy refused to sell Dele in Jan, all players who have/look like coming back into team after Jose criticisms.

Would be a hell of thing if Levy makes Jose a better manager by being a counterweight.

Back