• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Gareth Bale

Bookings would be more of a deterred if they were handed out more consistently.

As things are you can see players truly surprised to get a yellow for an early tactical foul because they expect to get away with it.

I suppose it's about being smart, making tactical fouls look like genuine tackling attempts. Having harsher punishment for tactical fouling could be good, but it's often difficult to judge intensions.

One thing that irritates me is tactical fouls that are also clear yellow card nasty tackles by themselves. It's like a free nasty tackle because you would get a yellow anyway for any foul. Would like to see those given as two yellows/a red.

there has long been an issue with yellow card offences not being sanctioned because of other context, time of the game, score, etc

it’s infuriating

Bookings would be more of a deterred if they were handed out more consistently.

As things are you can see players truly surprised to get a yellow for an early tactical foul because they expect to get away with it.

I suppose it's about being smart, making tactical fouls look like genuine tackling attempts. Having harsher punishment for tactical fouling could be good, but it's often difficult to judge intensions.

One thing that irritates me is tactical fouls that are also clear yellow card nasty tackles by themselves. It's like a free nasty tackle because you would get a yellow anyway for any foul. Would like to see those given as two yellows/a red.
You have a good point about nasty tactical fouls. Those that are basically assaults but go down as tactical because the intention appears to be to break up a counter attack. Maybe its just THOSE that should be penalised with a penalty as well as a booking, regardless of where they happen on the pitch. Like you say, not always easy to judge, but maybe just the fear of also conceding a penalty for a bad tactical foul would help cut out some of the more thuggish ones.

You have a good point about nasty tactical fouls. Those that are basically assaults but go down as tactical because the intention appears to be to break up a counter attack. Maybe its just THOSE that should be penalised with a penalty as well as a booking, regardless of where they happen on the pitch. Like you say, not always easy to judge, but maybe just the fear of also conceding a penalty for a bad tactical foul would help cut out some of the more thuggish ones.
What about if someone is injured, the offender cannot play again until the injured player can play again, i.e. potentially a career ending tackle for both of them. The only way the offender is allowed back before then, is if the injured player exonerates that player of all blame.

What about if someone is injured, the offender cannot play again until the injured player can play again, i.e. potentially a career ending tackle for both of them. The only way the offender is allowed back before then, is if the injured player exonerates that player of all blame.

hugely open to abuse, you just get a brick player to fake injury from a tackle from an opponents key player then say the brick player is out for 12 months

I don't like that. Sometimes people get injured from tackles that aren't even fouls, sometimes someone gets injured from "standard" free kick no yellow card fouls. Quite often downright nasty red card fouls don't end with an injury.

The punishment should fit the violation fine, not the outcome.

I don't like that. Sometimes people get injured from tackles that aren't even fouls, sometimes someone gets injured from "standard" free kick no yellow card fouls. Quite often downright nasty red card fouls don't end with an injury.

The punishment should fit the violation fine, not the outcome.
I get that, it was more an incentive not to make a nasty tackle.

I heartily agree and remember having arguments (perhaps on here?) with people that thought the game had gone soft and that smashing through someone's ankles from behind was fair game.

Likewise if you ever watch a Liverpool game from the late 70s / early 80s, it is shocking to see the centre backs roll it back to the keeper, who rolls it back to them, who roll it back to the keeper... that is not football.
The good old days, eh!

All types of foul are a part of the game, but that does not mean we have to accept them. Of course you are never going to completely eradicate tactical fouls but a stronger deterrent would reduce it dramatically.

There was a time when the tackle from behind was '"part of the game" as you put it but it's since been outlawed. It's not that long ago that hospital tackles and other acts of thuggery were once routine, but owing to the introduction of more more severe punishments in recent decades that type of animal behaviour has been largely eradicated.

The tactical foul is 'accepted' because the authorities do not have the balls to put in place a more effective deterrent. Personally I would award a penalty to the opposition regardless of where a tactical foul was committed on the pitch. That'd soon put an end to it.
I've said it many times before, but football's nothing-yellow-red system needs an overhaul. Back when it was introduced, you basically had to break someone's leg to get a yellow, and perform some sort of Mortal Kombat style finishing move for the ref to even think about sending you off.

50 years on (exactly 50 years, as it turns out), there are many more well-trodden paths to get in that book. Timewasting. Kicking the ball away. Breathing on Rudiger. Touching Eric Lamela's face. On the one hand, a yellow card is meaningless. On the other, it can't be dealt out lightly as it's halfway to a red card, i.e. a total sending off.

What if a yellow card carried a 5-minute sin bin? 10 minutes? Instantly, tactical fouls will put your team at a disadvantage.

Field hockey has a system of green, yellow, and red cards. Greens carry a 2-minute sin bin and are for minor offences, e.g. persistent but non-dangerous fouls, minor dissent, etc. A yellow means 5+ minutes off the pitch -- exact time decided by the umpire. The upshot is that umpires have a whole range of punishments that they can use to control the game, without ruining it by having to send off a player for half the match (or more) for a relatively minor offence.

I'm not suggesting that football goes to a 3-tier system, but at least make a yellow card worth something!

Last edited:
I think Everton fans would like to have invoke this rule...

I've said it many times before, but football's nothing-yellow-red system needs an overhaul. Back when it was introduced, you basically had to break someone's leg to get a yellow, and perform some sort of Mortal Kombat style finishing move for the ref to even think about sending you off.

50 years on (exactly 50 years, as it turns out), there are many more well-trodden paths to get in that book. Timewasting. Kicking the ball away. Breathing on Rudiger. Touching Eric Lamela's face. On the one hand, a yellow card is meaningless. On the other, it can't be dealt out lightly as it's halfway to a red card, i.e. a total sending off.

What if a yellow card carried a 5-minute sin bin? 10 minutes? Instantly, tactical fouls will put your team at a disadvantage.

Field hockey has a system of green, yellow, and red cards. Greens carry a 2-minute sin bin and are for minor offences, e.g. persistent but non-dangerous fouls, minor dissent, etc. A yellow means 5+ minutes off the pitch -- exact time decided by the umpire. The upshot is that umpires have a whole range of punishments that they can use to control the game, without ruining it by having to send off a player for half the match (or more) for a relatively minor offence.

I'm not suggesting that football goes to a 3-tier system, but at least make a yellow card worth something!
See my comment above ;-)

Good post. Maybe the way to go would be, first tactical foul five minutes, second ten, third fifteen etc. Slight problem with that is it favours waiting until the last few minutes of a game to take someone out...

Even so it should at least help reduce the dubious practice of 'taking one for the team.' Depends whether defenders judge the five- or ten-minute sin bin is still worth it I suppose.

I suspect though that once the principle of sin bins has been accepted by the rule makers it would likely be applied to a wider range of offences, not just tactical fouls.

Doesn't matter, just think the authorities should at least experiment with the idea, say initially in the lower leagues or cup ties.

Back