• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Gareth Bale

Re: Gareth Bale

Quite the opposite.
Modric staying a year and not being allowed to join Chelsea actually shows us sticking to our guns and lets players know that Levy won't let them go at the first hint of cash.
All the Bale case shows (if he leaves) is that we will reluctantly accept a world record bid for a player having carefully purchased replacements.

So cos its a world record fee we should just bend over and take it? We will never compete in my opinion while we sell out best players the second the big boys come
Knocking.

Raul's (and Paulinho's) take on Gareth:

20 August 2013, 19:55
Raul: Bale price too high

Real Madrid's all-time leading goalscorer Raul has criticised Tottenham over their world-record valuation of star forward Gareth Bale.

Madrid are ready to pay in excess of the £80million they spent on Cristiano Ronaldo, but Tottenham are thought to be holding out for even more.

Madrid ramped up their public pursuit of the 24-year-old towards the end of last month, with a number of the club's playing staff, and manager Carlo Ancelotti, praising the player.

But talks between the two clubs appear to have reached an impasse recently. Ancelotti said last week that he did not need to add any more players to his squad and it is understood that reports of the two clubs agreeing a £93million fee are wide of the mark.

Although Madrid recognises Bale's talent having been impressed by his 31-goal haul last season, Raul thinks a world-record fee for the Welshman is simply too much.

"Bale is a wonderful player and he will be a great addition to Real Madrid, but his price is too high," Raul told the website of his club Al Sadd in Qatar.

"Tottenham overestimates in the price of Bale."

Bale has not played for Tottenham for over a month as he has been struck by two injuries, the first to his buttock, and the most recent one, which will keep him out of Thursday's Europa League game against Dinamo Tbilisi, to his foot.

Spurs midfielder Paulinho, who joined the club from Corinthians for a then club-record fee of £17million, wants Bale to spurn Madrid's interest and stay at White Hart Lane.

"I sincerely don't know (if he will stay), but I think this is something more private for Bale, he doesn't tell me anything," he told Fox Sports Brazil.

"But I hope he continues with us, so that he can help us. He is a great player and achieved great stats last season, so I hope he stays with us."

Despite all the uncertainty surrounding Bale, what is clear is that Tottenham are willing to keep on spending before the transfer window shuts on September 2.

Manager Andre Villas-Boas spoke of his admiration for Anzhi Makhachkala forward Willian at a press conference on Monday and reports today suggest the Brazilian could be close to moving to the London club.

Roma forward Erik Lamela is another player who Villas-Boas appears set on adding to his squad.

Lamela's agent is understood to have cancelled a planned trip to London yesterday, but he still may make the journey later this week to join Roma officials, who are reported to be in the English capital to discuss the potential transfer of the Argentinian.

Villas-Boas has already spent almost £60million on new signings this summer, but he has sold Scott Parker, Tom Huddlestone, Steven Caulker and Clint Dempsey.

Two other players who could leave the club are Benoit Assou-Ekotto and Emmanuel Adebayor.

Assou-Ekotto is attracting interest from Turkey while Adebayor is facing an uncertain future following the arrival of £26million striker Roberto Soldado.

Both Assou-Ekotto and Adebayor will not take part in Thursday's game in Georgia, Villas-Boas confirmed yesterday.

http://web.orange.co.uk/article/sports/raul_bale_price_too_high

4. My conspiracy brain thinks that our relationship with Madrid id actually very much intact and in the FULL effect. I think this Bale thing could easily play out in our favour and i think madrid are helping with this. Its a top level conspiracy though, to be able to hide an agreement and act your part of warring with a partner just so that your partner can get thier targets without being over charged. I always said that for X amount AND madrid help us get our targets then they could have bale. I was definately joking and taking the tinkle (as i meant that they should go out there and do the persuading for us like our agents) but this could be the next best thing. There is actually a chance that we would not be able to get any of these targets had madrid not come in for Bale.

Madrid would have to be mental to sign up for a partnership agreement that saw them paying over the odds for our players and being made to look like mugs in the process

a few things i have come to realise

1. We knew that if we didnt make CL we would most likely lose Bale. That "one more season" was last season. not this one. Why is it a pill that is so shocking in taste when really we knew in all liklehood this would be the case

2. We have operated in such a way that minimises Bales absence. Imagine if we get all our desired targets, i'm sorry but if that happens that our squad is better this year than it was last year

3. 93 MILLION ****ING POUNDS!!!! is an obscene amount of Mula. That kind of money can make us really count for something going forward. Do people honestly believe that all this money going round...assuming that we get all our targets....is money that we would even contemplate spending if we could balance the books? (the soldado still throws me off though i must admit). Lets look at our team with bale and no big name record breaking signings..., compare that with our team WITHOUT bale and 6 ****ing FRANCHISE players to add!!! Bale's price tag is more to do about commodity than it is to do with ability. If one of our new signings scores 20 plus goals and is marketable then Levy is going to try any wrangle another top fee. Madrid are the only team dumb enough to make this kind of bid, no one else would touch it

4. My conspiracy brain thinks that our relationship with Madrid id actually very much intact and in the FULL effect. I think this Bale thing could easily play out in our favour and i think madrid are helping with this. Its a top level conspiracy though, to be able to hide an agreement and act your part of warring with a partner just so that your partner can get thier targets without being over charged. I always said that for X amount AND madrid help us get our targets then they could have bale. I was definately joking and taking the tinkle (as i meant that they should go out there and do the persuading for us like our agents) but this could be the next best thing. There is actually a chance that we would not be able to get any of these targets had madrid not come in for Bale

5. Bale is going abroad, he isnt strengthening anyone domestic and his departure is bringing in some serious talent by the BUCKET load. There is a silver lining in this whole situation

6. He has not actually left yet, there is every chance that we might be able to keep him on lay away for another season with madrid knowing full well that he belongs to them next summer, Fat chance of that being the case but one can dream

7. Tottenham is still around and now our brand is ****ing global. I for one am proud of that and the job levy has done.

the future is bright.

The one more season I always assumed would be this year because he had 3 years left this summer. Usually Levy would only deal more readily if a player had 2 years left. But yep, I'm happy with Bale's departure because it looks like we are strengthening.

I'm sorry but I really don't understand people saying that if we get Willian and Lamela we should be making a push for the top 3. With our squad and management we should be pushing for the title. That simple.

The one more season I always assumed would be this year because he had 3 years left this summer. Usually Levy would only deal more readily if a player had 2 years left. But yep, I'm happy with Bale's departure because it looks like we are strengthening.

I'm sorry but I really don't understand people saying that if we get Willian and Lamela we should be making a push for the top 3. With our squad and management we should be pushing for the title. That simple.

To me, it's clear that there have been two major things which happened this summer.

1) Joe Lewis finally realized that if we want a new stadium we need naming rights, and if we want naming rights we need to do all we can to guarantee CL.

2) AVB turned around to Levy and Lewis and said he's stick around IF he actually GOT the support he needed to make it happen. In turn, the signing of Baldini, a man who can actually close a deal, plus the congruence between Baldini, AVB and Levy is such that to not act would be negligent. Add FFP plus the extra TV money/money not spunked in Jan on **** stop-gaps, and we are seeing the fruits.

I know there are some who don't believe it, and fair enough, but Bale & Barnett HAD committed to one more season here. Madrid played dirtier than anyone expected. Levy has done (IMO) ferociously well to NOT cave in. I am interested to see where this ends.

So cos its a world record fee we should just bend over and take it? We will never compete in my opinion while we sell out best players the second the big boys come
Knocking.

We'd find it much harder to compete if we kept our best players until their contracts ran out.

We haven't sold our best players the second the big boys come calling. Chelsea called, we told them to **** off and sold him to Real madrid a year later.

This season Real Madrid have called and thus far they've not changed our minds.

To be fair, I think the money Levy is asking is outrageous BUT absolutely RIGHT considering the filthy way they persued him. I firmly believe they'd have got him for 60 NEXT summer had they behaved. This, to me, is Levy's way of punishing them. If they pay (indeed, if they have a payment structure we approve) 96 million or whatever it is, I think it will be one Levy's greatest ever pieces of business. We would absolutely, 100% have Lamela as well as Willian, and we'd still have money to use as necessary. I think only the most belligerent of supporters could argue that right now, we have a better squad man for man than last season, and that if we sell Bale and add Lamela to the Willian signing, that we are in really excellent shape. I think AVB deserves credit for being practical enough to get on with life and not dwell a moment on Bale. I am sure if Sept 2nd come around and for some reason he's still here, AVB will bring him back around within a few weeks. Nice to see us show that on-one is bigger than the club once more.

a few things i have come to realise

1. We knew that if we didnt make CL we would most likely lose Bale. That "one more season" was last season. not this one. Why is it a pill that is so shocking in taste when really we knew in all liklehood this would be the case

2. We have operated in such a way that minimises Bales absence. Imagine if we get all our desired targets, i'm sorry but if that happens that our squad is better this year than it was last year

3. 93 MILLION ****ING POUNDS!!!! is an obscene amount of Mula. That kind of money can make us really count for something going forward. Do people honestly believe that all this money going round...assuming that we get all our targets....is money that we would even contemplate spending if we could balance the books? (the soldado still throws me off though i must admit). Lets look at our team with bale and no big name record breaking signings..., compare that with our team WITHOUT bale and 6 ****ing FRANCHISE players to add!!! Bale's price tag is more to do about commodity than it is to do with ability. If one of our new signings scores 20 plus goals and is marketable then Levy is going to try any wrangle another top fee. Madrid are the only team dumb enough to make this kind of bid, no one else would touch it

4. My conspiracy brain thinks that our relationship with Madrid id actually very much intact and in the FULL effect. I think this Bale thing could easily play out in our favour and i think madrid are helping with this. Its a top level conspiracy though, to be able to hide an agreement and act your part of warring with a partner just so that your partner can get thier targets without being over charged. I always said that for X amount AND madrid help us get our targets then they could have bale. I was definately joking and taking the tinkle (as i meant that they should go out there and do the persuading for us like our agents) but this could be the next best thing. There is actually a chance that we would not be able to get any of these targets had madrid not come in for Bale

5. Bale is going abroad, he isnt strengthening anyone domestic and his departure is bringing in some serious talent by the BUCKET load. There is a silver lining in this whole situation

6. He has not actually left yet, there is every chance that we might be able to keep him on lay away for another season with madrid knowing full well that he belongs to them next summer, Fat chance of that being the case but one can dream

7. Tottenham is still around and now our brand is ****ing global. I for one am proud of that and the job levy has done.

the future is bright.

Apart from Milos point which is valid and I agree with, this is an excellent post.

Apart from one Emirates Marketing Project fan (and one 'Leeds' fan who never stops talking about City), every single person I work with is Man Utd and I had 3 different people make comment to me today that they really do see us as major challengers this season, even if we lose Bale.

Now, I don't think we will win the league quite yet but the squad we are assembling has a lot of legitimately serious danger to opposition teams in it from more than one focal point (Bale) as well as a much much stronger defensive shield from the midfield.

Add a WORLD CLASS goalkeeper to that and I can see why the whole league would rather we kept Bale and did no other business.

One player can have an off day or an injury and it all goes to ****.

I can't see that happening this season.

If we were to then end up keeping Bale? ****!!!

My twopenneth... Will he, won't he?

To sum up various points...

He will -
1. He really wants to go
2. Madrid really want him
3. We will sell, at a price
4. His agent is falling over himself to get it done
5. We've already spent the money
6. The deal is done, we're just getting replacements in
7. Of course it'll be done, it's £80m-odd and Madrid we're talking about

He won't -
1. Levy is one tough mofo and Real have tinkled him off
2. Real cant or won't pay and can't or won't meet the deadline
3. The whole thing is a Perez vanity project, and...
4... Ronaldo and the dressing room are uneasy about it
5. Ancelotti's recent Luke warm comments
6. Bale will do one more year like Ronaldo did (which I could live with)
7. Bale thinks, 'hang about, look at Soldado, Willian and Paulinho... I'll give this a go'
8. The deal is far from done, otherwise Real would have him already

I don't know what to believe, I just know that I'd 'sacrifice' Coentrao and Lamela and the £80m to keep Bale for one more year.

Ah right so we are losing Bale because Wales doesn't have any more decent players

What a ridiculous reply.

£93m for any player is an outrage, any club that wouldnt accept that offer are absolutely bonkers. Man Utd could reject it for Ronaldo, so we certainly shouldnt reject it with the apparent Willian & Lamela coming in.

Knocking.

I don't think I said that.

Perhaps you're being a bit glib with the use of 'WORLD RECORD'
The big boys don't come knocking very often with a WORLD RECORD bid for a player.
And in our case, what I did say, was that if we can get the right players in first, we could accept it.
Because it seems that, if we even do accept this WORLD RECORD fee, we have been wise and considerate in bringing in players to leave us strong and with myriad squad options that we can speak of with pride and hope.

We at Spurs have been going through a gradual upgrading over the last 10 years. And it has been fantastic. And as we progress, it is harder and harder for others to prey upon us and view us as week.
Reading what Man Utd, Liverpool and ****nal fans and commenters are saying about us now...indicates a see-change in their thinking. To where we are in a position of strength that, say, in the late 90s we could only have fevered dreams of before waking up sobbing of what would never be.

What a ridiculous reply.

£93m for any player is an outrage, any club that wouldnt accept that offer are absolutely bonkers. Man Utd could reject it for Ronaldo, so we certainly shouldnt reject it with the apparent Willian & Lamela coming in.

Yes, the money is obscene - utterly obscene.. But, if we can afford to spend what we have so far and what it looks like we might be adding on top of it then why not play tough and keep our prize asset?

I don't see it as bonkers provided our money is fine. More a signal of intent, a big fu to Madrid and others thinking they can take our players and a huge statement for the league that we mean to better ourselves and make up for the facts that despite a poor run a results in the latter parts of the last two seasons that we were kinda screwed over when it came to the rub of the green and getting cl football.

I mean it would take balls to refuse such an offer but I think if anyone could/would then Levy is the man to do so.

He obviously won't play until the window closes regardless of whether he is staying or going (and I think that on balance he is probably off now).

I think the most magnificent thing about how AVB and Levy have played this one since the MAIN bombshell right before Hong Kong, is how they have managed to make sure the club does not suffer, continues prospering, continues upgrading the quality of playing staff AND all without relying on Bale one way or another. Obviously Lewis loosening the coffers has helped, but we have really shown fantastic business this summer. How important will Baldini's signing prove to be? Already massive I think...at this point the club genuinely won't be 'broken' if Bale ends up going because we have done everything on the correct terms...ours! And the same if he stays!
;)

Knocking.

A few weeks ago I was pretty much of the same opinion, WhoopWhoop. But having seen us bring in Soldado, Paulinho, Capoue, Chadli... and now it looks like Willian too, I now see it as something of a win-win situation.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely want Bale to stay. That's my first preference and I'd rather Levy turn down €100m and hang onto Bale. But when you take into account the players we've already brought in; and when you take into account the fact that if we sold Bale he would surely be replaced with one or two high quality signings (plus potentially Coentrao)*. Well, in that case despite losing our star man I'd still see this summer as being the most positive and revolutionary transfer window since transfer windows began. I know I'm wearing rose-tinted glasses, but I really think Levy and AVB are turning Spurs into title-contenders right before our eyes. And it's wonderful to see.

I'm well aware of the downsides to losing Bale (the joy of watching a world class player at Spurs, the loss of a legion of young fans who would have bought Spurs shirts so they could have the name Bale on their back, the raised profile that an iconic player would give Tottenham Hotspur on the global stage, all that stuff)... so let me reiterate that I want him to stay.

But there are two ways in which you can attract fans and raise your profile... you can have a player like Bale. Or you can assemble the best bloody squad in the league and start winning everything. Looks to me that even if we may lose the former, we might just be gaining the latter. As I say... win-win.

-----------
* and still leave Levy with 30 million quid to chuck into the stadium fund.

Back