• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Gareth Bale

Re: Gareth Bale

Tottenham threatened by Al Qaeda over Gareth Bale deal

'Tottenham threatened by Al Qaeda over Gareth Bale deal' is not a headline we expected to have during this transfer window. There have been so many reports surrounding the Welsh international that it's been hard to dismiss anything, but international terrorism isn't something usually associated with the transfer window.

We found the reports on Calciomercato but it's being reported widely in Italy, with quotes attributed to Ahmed Al Dossari as threatening Tottenham over the transfer because of their connection with the Jewish community in London.

"Unscrupulous merchants. Jews who will be punished for their greed by the wrath of GHod and by the sound of arms."

Spanish newspaper Marca had been annoying enough for Tottenham supporters but to have to deal with Al Qaeda trying to get in on the act is even more irritating, and entirely ridiculous. Al Qaeda will be trying to use the situation to gain publicity no doubt, but given that the American government has led a shut down of embassies over the last couple of days, you'd think the terrorist organisation had more to think about than Gareth Bale.

Perhaps they're closet Real Madrid fans.

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/tottenham-threatened-by-al-qaeda-over-gareth-bale-deal

'Tottenham threatened by Al Qaeda over Gareth Bale deal' is not a headline we expected to have during this transfer window. There have been so many reports surrounding the Welsh international that it's been hard to dismiss anything, but international terrorism isn't something usually associated with the transfer window.

We found the reports on Calciomercato but it's being reported widely in Italy, with quotes attributed to Ahmed Al Dossari as threatening Tottenham over the transfer because of their connection with the Jewish community in London.

"Unscrupulous merchants. Jews who will be punished for their greed by the wrath of GHod and by the sound of arms."

Spanish newspaper Marca had been annoying enough for Tottenham supporters but to have to deal with Al Qaeda trying to get in on the act is even more irritating, and entirely ridiculous. Al Qaeda will be trying to use the situation to gain publicity no doubt, but given that the American government has led a shut down of embassies over the last couple of days, you'd think the terrorist organisation had more to think about than Gareth Bale.

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/tottenham-threatened-by-al-qaeda-over-gareth-bale-deal

Am I really reading this?

If Al Qaeda kick off about Bale, then I am starting a satirical cartoon based on Allah 8-[

:ross::ross::ross:

From The Journalist on SC

Update from conversation I had yesterday.
Bale is not for sale unless Tottenham receive a ridiculous offer. The money offered, and quoted in the press, even though a world record, is not deemed ridiculous by the spurs board. Tottenham have told Madrid this. There are no current negotiations and no current contact between the clubs.
Tottenham feel they must be compensated for the commercial outlay and immediate loss of earnings if Bale goes. This would mean an offer significantly north of £80 million.

The payment structure that was written in the press is rubbish. No fee has been agreed; so talk of payment structure is very wide of the mark; no negotiations are taking place.

Regarding the player swap, the Portuguese left back, Tottenham don’t want it involved in the Bale transfer and here’s why.
I have already mentioned that AVB was offered Luke Shaw as a potential target and AVB refused.
The Portuguese left back, was a target before the Madrid/Bale saga. Tottenham were quoted a price and wanted to discuss terms. Then the Bale saga kicked off and Madrid decided to negotiate at a higher price.

On Bale.
He has not refused to train. He has been working on his fitness.
It was AVB’s decision not to play him on tour.
He wanted to stay at Tottenham and asked his agent to negotiate a deal for next year.
Real Madrid said to him it’s now or never. He would be happy to stay for another year.
He doesnt feel he is ready to move.
It’s difficult for him and not fair to question or to slag off his character.

So it’s going to take an amazing offer to get him.

Other news.
There are offers on the table for Sigurðsson and Adebayor.
And more of opinion than anything else, but from what I’ve heard Tottenham will go back for the Brazilian kid.

Hopefully this is true - quite positive for once

I think all of this is very believable.

I cant believe how many people are turning against Bale. I would love to know the amount of people that in their professional working life have turned down bigger companies, a better salary, probably a better work/life balance (weather, less games) and a better chance of achieving professional goals (Champs league) if not also personal ones, not moved jobs after a yearly review with agreed goals in place (under contract) or stayed with one company throughout.. I bet it would be a very small number.

As Bankia fails, Real Madrid is teetering on the edge of the abyss

By Tony Attwood

The finances of Real Madrid are fairly sound. If the full-blown FFP were up and running now, Real Madrid would be ok. They are nothing like Emirates Marketing Project, Chelsea, PSG etc.

Real Madrid owe money, but not too much compared with their turnover. So in normal times they won’t fail. But these are not normal times.

Because Real Madrid’s bank is in the most serious trouble. As is the country. (As I drove to my office this morning I heard the comment on the radio that Spain’s economy is too big to be allowed to fail, but is also too big to rescue. That seems to sum it up).

As a result of this situation the normal roles are reversed. According to Süddeutsche Zeitung, one of the most widely read newspapers in Germany, and one that speaks with a certain authority, the most expensive footballer in history [C Ronaldo] may now be used to guarantee the solvency of a Spanish bank.

Or put another way: “Ronaldo in the bailout fund,” as SZ’s headline said.

The problem is that the Bankia group of savings banks, which finance Real Madrid’s endless acquisition policy, is now needing to borrow funds from the European Central Bank. And the ECB (rather taken up with Greece at the moment) want guarantees. So (and I am serious here, this is not a Billy the Dog make believe story) Bankia are said to be offering Real Madrid players as part of the guarantee. Not surprisingly, the ECB is not that impressed.

SZ then asked if the ECB could seize the players if Bankia totally insolvent. In theory they could, and as a result Real Madrid would default on the rest of its loans, secured in themselves by money from advertising, TV and the gate receipts. Given that the constitution of Real Madrid forbids the president of the club and others from personally financing the club, that would be the end.

Now the reason that this sort of thing has not happened before is that in Spain the clubs have often obtained bailouts from public funds – rather like the banks in the UK. As the Sevilla vice-president recently said, “There are six or seven of the 20 clubs in La Liga who are in bankruptcy or administration through difficulties with social security and the tax authorities.” That’s six or seven Rangers and Portsmouths, all playing in the top league in Spain.

Florentino Pérez, top dog at Real Madrid, has maintained the club’s finances and currently the club has a debt of about £150m. From David Beckham onwards the trick has been the same, merchandising, ownership of their own TV rights, and always coming in the top two in a two team league.

The system works because of the Spanish tax system which means that football leagues in other countries have to pay up to 70% more in wages to match the take home pay of players in Spain.

So there’s a system – Real Madrid borrow money, get players pleased to get extra income and less tax, and sell shirts, their own TV rights and the rest. And behind it as always is a bank – Bankia – which has failed to the tune of €19bn in the sort of crazed situation that (as the Financial Times said this week), “always brings down banks.”

Looking at Greece we might also say that it also brings down countries. Who knows which way Greece will go, but one way or another their tax system has to be reformed. Which is what has got to happen in Spain. Which is another reason why Real Madrid, and the whole of Spanish football, is under threat. They have benefited from being able to take players who will go anywhere and have the players pay very little tax. And that is about to end.

Bankia is going through the same sort of disaster scenario as the one that hit the savings and loans industry in the US (something that cost $100bn to sort out, according to the FT).

It is the old issue of banks throwing money at property developers. That is what has been happening in Spain, and as always it results in a crisis. Since so much of Spain’s economy has been based on this approach the crisis is large.

So if you want to get a grip on Spain’s problem and Bankia’s problem – and therefore Real Madrid’s problems – just think about Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs in the USA – and then add in the question of the interest rates and the unemployment rate.

In the last few days the cost of borrowing money in Spain has gone up and up, until now (at approaching 7% on the 10 year bonds last time I looked) the banks are in a position where they can’t raise any more money. (If you want to put it in perspective try this – if you had £10,000 in your bank account in the UK earning an interest rate so tiny you can hardly see it, you might be tempted by 7% in Spain. And then you might wonder if you will get your money back – so you don’t do it. That’s it in a nutshell.)

Spain’s economy is shrinking (1.8% this year) and unemployment is at an eye-watering 25%. So Spain has to reform. But it has to do this with banks that are now bust – just as the Royal Bank of Scotland in the UK was when it took over Liverpool FC.

Which takes us back to Real Madrid. It is solvent, but its bank isn’t and nor is the country in which it exists. Real Madrid is solvent because it uses the very low income tax rates to attract players. If that goes, or if it can’t find a bank to finance it, or if the whole economy goes Greek, Real Madrid has to restructure at an enormous speed, and the days of the purchasing of the world’s most expensive players will be over.

———————

Very interesting post which is worth a read if you have the time.

I don't believe we have started negotiations but it is all very well if they promise to pay eg £20 mill per year if they then go skint.

Unless we can send the boys round to re-possess Gareth!

i wonder what bale's young daughter thinks of all this. Please, media, enlighten me.

marca headline in coming days...........

Bale knew he had to go to madrid after little alba's first words 'madrid daddy'

Does anyone think there could be a public lynching of an agent if the behaviour of players continue to spiral with so much lack of respect. For example.. a group of drunk Tottenham fans on a night out.. see Jonathan Barnett in a high end restaurant in London.. what would happen? Are agents treading a fine line between respect and disrespect.

Got to say if I saw Mr Barnett in the street I'm not sure how I would react tbh.

I don't understand, how are the agents behaving without respect?

Should they respect the contract? Football clubs don't when it suits them. How many managers have we sacked? How many players have we unsettled?

Should agents respect the fans? I'd Bale and his agent had any loyalty he would still be playing for Southampton or Cardiff. Players that have loyalty and stay with one club are called unambitious! How can we expect loyalty from a player that we bought? We can hope for it, but you can't expect it.

Football is a dirty business, it is driven by money and results. Respect has very little to do with the modern game.

The agent has a duty to the players he represents, he should be getting the best deal he can. I don't know what is happening, but if Bale doesn't want the move, he can refuse and kill all the speculation immediately. I don't blame the agent.

Does anyone think there could be a public lynching of an agent if the behaviour of players continue to spiral with so much lack of respect. For example.. a group of drunk Tottenham fans on a night out.. see Jonathan Barnett in a high end restaurant in London.. what would happen? Are agents treading a fine line between respect and disrespect.

Got to say if I saw Mr Barnett in the street I'm not sure how I would react tbh.

His agent whilst is a fudgein **** has not done too much wrong. Maybe how he has gone about it is wrong but I refuse to believe that Bale has not played a part in ordering his agent to do what he has been doing.

Bale is a client of the ****ish agent and the agent does what the client approves of. Bale is a grown adult and im sorry but he is to blame for these rumours as much, if not more, than the agent. Bale could stop these rumours if he wanted to by ensuring the agent not only speaks out but ceases these so called rumours - "sources close to the player"? who the fudge do you think it is.

Do you think that Levy will purposely avoid all Barnetts clients now... Could Siggy be dead man walking because of what's gone on.

I don't understand, how are the agents behaving without respect?

Should they respect the contract? Football clubs don't when it suits them. How many managers have we sacked? How many players have we unsettled?

Should agents respect the fans? I'd Bale and his agent had any loyalty he would still be playing for Southampton or Cardiff. Players that have loyalty and stay with one club are called unambitious! How can we expect loyalty from a player that we bought? We can hope for it, but you can't expect it.

Football is a dirty business, it is driven by money and results. Respect has very little to do with the modern game.

The agent has a duty to the players he represents, he should be getting the best deal he can. I don't know what is happening, but if Bale doesn't want the move, he can refuse and kill all the speculation immediately. I don't blame the agent.

Contracts don't contain clauses about players playing games, not being sold or managers being allowed to keep their job until the end of the contract.

When we've sacked managers we've paid them off according to the contracts, that's respecting the contract. As is continuing to pay players like Bentley and Gio despite them not performing as we were hoping on the pitch.

I'm sure some agents are fine. It seems to me though that most agents don't represent their clients and their interests as much as they represent themselves. To be expected I suppose, but that doesn't free them from criticism.

Since AVB's comments after the Monaco game the number of reports and rumours has definitely reduced.
I suspect tomorrow will be a key day. If Bale turns up for training it will lend weight to the suggestion that he's just going to get on with playing, and that'll make it far easier to keep him.
Fingers crossed.

Bale would do well to remember that Modric skipping training didn't help him too much in his quest for a move to Chelsea - if anything id imagine it'd have an adverse effect and give Levy more reason to reject Reals approaches.

anyway id wager we won't see Bale in the first team until after the window shuts - think the club will keep him away from the rest of the squad until his future for the coming season has been sorted.

http://deportes.elpais.com/deportes/2013/08/04/actualidad/1375642990_369257.html

a decent piece of Spanish journalism - the start of a backlash?

A Transfer of High Risk :

Colleagues say that Florentino Perez has always had big ideas. The signing of Welsh Gareth Bale is an idea so huge that the president ofReal Madrid has undertaken virtually alone execution, with a firmness and toughness are not he would support the different levels of the club.In the Bernabeu nobody doubts Bale footballing quality. But as the bid for Tottenham grew to greatly exceed 80 million euros, technicians and managers closest to the president began to show signs of perplexity.Even corporate general director Jose Angel Sanchez, so excited in the past by hiring players take the Premier, not shown so convinced to pay such large numbers. Never in the history of the sport to another company paid so much money for an athlete.
Numerous experts usually consulted Perez, inside and outside the organization Madrid coach said since January that Bale is a great player. The first to do so informally, was Zidane. But now these counselors is elusive with the president at the conviction that reaching 100 million for Bale is going against recommended.
The player's agent wants to ask the highest salary of staff

The opinion of all the football experts is conclusive: Welsh is very good, but only played on the counter and it is uncertain that suits the lack of spaces you find in Madrid. The report issued by the analyst team football management concluded that Bale white club has great qualities and some flaws that should not be neglected when putting a price. Among the qualities highlighted his powerful combination of physical and technical conditions, including speed, power and ball control. His great scoring ability, starting from all sectors of the attack, is the culmination of his virtues. Among the defects stressed that tactically is too passive. They explained their inclination to ask the ball too much and shun walking mistake and movement short. They concluded that it is sparing and associative play in Madrid would take time to adjust to find gaps, if that fits. Playing in any band, they said, would operate more guarantees than in the middle of the field. There are technicians who transfer you to the side note that may bother because in the last few seasons got used to playing in the middle. In Madrid football management also circulates the report did Bale Barcelona two years ago concluded that possesses the quality to become the best left back in the world. Barca will rule for another boundary by the uncertainty created by the game without the ball.
The Welsh reports underscore its enormous power, speed and ball skills

The board members are skeptical about the ownership of an operation that exceeds 100 million. Reunited with Perez, some managers have indicated that a price of more than 80 million represents an unaffordable risk.These managers speak of two concepts: risk value and insurance value .Perez invite you to consider that now the priority is to tie the insurance value , which now goes to renew Cristiano Ronaldo , which is what you want most of the partners. Say it with Bale exposed to something much worse than what happened with Kaka. The Brazilian had a World Cup, one Champions and Golden Ball in the curriculum, and a year after signing him for he received a good deal of the City, while Bale has never won a title and has played only ten games of Champions . Drawing on an old formula to calculate the risk, warn that, assuming Bale totally fail in their first year in Madrid, the most you could recover is 50 million euros.Paying more than 50 or 60 would penetrate on a path of no return. A path of end badly, could seriously undermine the president's position as a manager warns.
In many areas of the club believe that the priority is to renew Cristiano Ronaldo

Given these considerations, Perez shows abstracted. Unresponsive.Those who have attended these exchanges say the president is eager to regain the prestige it gave signings like Figo, Zidane and Ronaldo Nazario.That he hired Christian and somehow, aims to recover the failure of Kaka. I want so that their partners bolder note that behaves as if not heard.When he was advised to do everything possible to renew a Christian, for all reply Perez responded that Bale has to come to Madrid "whatever it takes".
In the Madrid believe that Daniel Levy, Tottenham chairman has strengthened their bargaining position by Bale's reluctance to declare rebellion. To encourage the player to tighten, for days on Madrid, which offers six-year contract, proposed putting the salary he wanted. The player's agent, Jonathan Barnett, responded that prompted an annual salary of about 13 or 14 million. This would raise Bale's salary 30% above that of Christian.
Versions circulating in the Tottenham talk about total control of the situation by Levy. An agent closely linked to London nightclub owner Florentino Perez says Levy offered a private jet for her to move to Los Angeles to finalize the talks. All expenses of the stay was borne by Perez.But Levy replied that he had things to do in London.
The player has only played 10 duels Champions League in his career

Barnett told Levy in spring I thought they would do deals of up to 75 million euros per Bale. Sources close to Tottenham ensure that its managers Levy rated it the player in a maximum of 90 million, but that the appearance precipitous Madrid changed their outlook and called 150. In the course of last week lowered to 130. Levy feels a notable grudge administrators Madrid since Modric after they signed him to declare incite rebellion last year.
The Madrid office jiggle every time someone mentions the name of Bale these days. Employees slide Florentino Perez wants to do as in poker, one all-in , all or nothing, one high-risk gamble. An idea so great that he has been left exposed. Only with their courage against overwhelming desire to sign another great player planetary projection.

Interesting, they all thought they could unsettle the player and get him for less and Perez has become obsessed about signing him so much that he's forgotten about everything else and proceeded on regardless now everyone else thinks that as its not so easy and the price keeps rising that they should pull out.

It is a game of poker.
Perez thought that we would snap their arms off at £80 mill and Levy calmly introduces him to our owner Lewis who has a yacht worth more than that.

Saw snippets from the Cristiano Ronaldo interview earlier and I thought he was cool to say the least, if not even hostile to the idea of Bale coming. Can't see why he'd welcome it, will compete for his position on the team (or at least his freedom) and his status as number one profile for the coming season. As I've said before, I don't think Bale is an ego and, unless his Spanish is brilliant, I really don't know if he would fancy a move to that dressing room. The signing is going to be a bit "meh" amongst the players, its the fans, the board and the management that would be excited about it. But the team, they will be confident that their squad as it is is good enough to compete next season. Certainly when you have Ronaldo in the team you don't think "you know what guys, what we really need is a powerful guy with a good touch who can run at people and whack a ball in from 25 yards".

On a different note, as I mentioned it earlier I can see an attraction for Bale in all this. One thing that has come to mind is the opportunity for him to become the world's most expensive player. Whilst most players say they don't like being saddled with a huge price around their neck, this particular record would inevitably carry with it a certain amount of pride. Bale is a brilliant player, one of our own all-time greats. However, when you start getting stats like this next to your name people start talking about best player ever, period.

Hahahahahaha! Fantastic article, it seems like Perez has fudged himself to be honest. I totally buy this interpretation because it makes so much sense.

Madrid have got it to the point where they have let the for Bale rise to ridiculous levels, and I totally believe the people around his own club are questioning it. Because there is not that great a need for Bale. He may well struggle in the right spaces too, that's an excellent point.

I feel sorry for Bale. This transfer could have gone ahead and benefitted all concerned next summer and had a greater chance of success. We would have received a fair price, Madrid would have got their player and Bale would fulfil a dream. But now he is the vanity project of an almost megalomaniacal President. He could well fail, particularly if he doesn't have another year in his favoured role to truly learn it tactically, and let his family settle too.

Above all Perez seriously under estimated Levy too, which I am absolutely stunned he has managed to do considering how he dealt with Modric. He's backed himself into such a corner and it's got to the point where I can't see this deal going through. The cracks are starting to appear. I don't believe Bale really wants it. I feel like it's been driven by his agent and Perez. Bale must know there are doubts about it happening this year. Does he really think joining a circus will be best for his future? A club ran to satisfy its members (who don't know much about football business) and keep a president popular?

It's got to the point where it doesn't really make sense for either club to have the deal done this year.

I still have that feeling what I posted 7-10 days ago regarding this whole thing being part of a master plan, part of the partnership.

1. Tottenham's name is on everyone's lips and our commercial recongnition has quadrupled because of it.
2. Madrid being in for him and there value of the player has pretty basically warned off everyone else that may have felt.. lets buy him (i.e Utd)
3. Levy is a hero
4. No longer a selling club.. fudge you media.
5. Bale leaves next year as planned when all sides are ready.
6. Tottenham gets its naming rights due to a heightened media stories throughout the world, especially in the US.
7. Happy days.
8. Tottenham purchase players in a timely manor.

Back