• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Gareth Bale

Re: ARTICLE: Bale, AVB, Formation... Why he should stay

I could put this in the Bale thread, but the "why he should stay" part of this thread caught my eye so I'll put this here.

http://www.haugstadfootball.net/2012/10/17/analysis-the-evolution-of-cristiano-ronaldo/

Basically, we'll build a team around Bale like Real Madrid build a team around Ronaldo. If you look at that article, you see the sort of work the team is set up to do in order to give Ronaldo chances... And that article shows Ronaldo scored most of his goals in the 11/12 season from one touch finishes which points to the team doing a lot of the work for Ronaldo rather than giving him the ball and making him dribble past a few players then score (Messi wonder goal style).

Anyway, I just thought it'd be interesting. From a team working for their star and from a few little similarities with Bale.

With such a complete package and the blend between two positions, it is difficult to categorise Ronaldo. He is not an inside winger; they either play killer passes, dribble from wide positions or play one-twos; out of Ronaldo’s 32 goals from open play, one came from one-twos, zero from solo-runs. His assist count is underwhelming. And he certainly isn’t a classic winger.

Sound familiar? :p

Re: Gareth Bale

426501_10151529828364101_1276765570_n.jpg

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...ns-to-Cristiano-Ronaldo-and-Lionel-Messi.html

Bale, 23, hailed the influence of Spurs boss Andre Villas-Boas, who he says has improved his game since the days of Harry Redknapp.
He said: “Harry was more ‘go out there and play how you feel and express yourself’.
“With Andre, there’s a certain shape and a style we play.
“I think Harry was more free and let you do what you want. Andre does that too, but there’s a lot more tactical work.
“I think it’s something that’s good to learn. We’ve done well this year and I think that’s down to our defending as well as attacking.”

:ross: Sums up us under Harry and AVB brilliantly, basically Redknapp is a blagger and AVB a teacher

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...ns-to-Cristiano-Ronaldo-and-Lionel-Messi.html

Bale, 23, hailed the influence of Spurs boss Andre Villas-Boas, who he says has improved his game since the days of Harry Redknapp.
He said: “Harry was more ‘go out there and play how you feel and express yourself’.
“I think Harry was more free and let you do what you want. Andre does that too, but there’s a lot more tactical work.
“I think it’s something that’s good to learn. We’ve done well this year and I think that’s down to our defending as well as attacking.”

:ross: Sums up us under Harry and AVB brilliantly, basically Redknapp is a blagger and AVB a teacher

good to see bale affirming avb!

No he's not, he is a wheeler dealer.:)

Re: ARTICLE: Bale, AVB, Formation... Why he should stay

I could put this in the Bale thread, but the "why he should stay" part of this thread caught my eye so I'll put this here.

http://www.haugstadfootball.net/2012/10/17/analysis-the-evolution-of-cristiano-ronaldo/

Basically, we'll build a team around Bale like Real Madrid build a team around Ronaldo. If you look at that article, you see the sort of work the team is set up to do in order to give Ronaldo chances... And that article shows Ronaldo scored most of his goals in the 11/12 season from one touch finishes which points to the team doing a lot of the work for Ronaldo rather than giving him the ball and making him dribble past a few players then score (Messi wonder goal style).

Anyway, I just thought it'd be interesting. From a team working for their star and from a few little similarities with Bale.

Sound familiar? :p

Great post...I'd been trying to put this into words for days. Its not something many teams/managers would be prepared to do...then again, both Bale and Ronaldo's skillsets have always felt quite unusual in the modern game.

Apparently Bale is only the 5th player in PL history to have scored in 4 consecutive games. That seems a rather low amount.

That is slightly surprising. Apparently Lampard has scored for 5 consecutive games twice (in 2005 and 2010) whilst van Nistelrooy holds the record at 10 consecutive games (2003). I can't seem to find who the other 2 players are though :-k

Indeed. Im sure Keano had a run of games where he was scoring for fun. Would be surprised that Ronaldo, RVN, RVP, Henry, Shesrer didn't manage it at least one in their careers either.

That is slightly surprising. Apparently Lampard has scored for 5 consecutive games twice (in 2005 and 2010) whilst van Nistelrooy holds the record at 10 consecutive games (2003). I can't seem to find who the other 2 players are though :-k

Where's THFC60-61 when you need him?

Adebayor scored in 7 in a row 07/08 apparently...

Firstly, this is not a source I particularly trust. Secondly, I don't know if this is PL players that scored in PL games in a row or any games in a row... Thirdly, this site lists more than 5. (Which leads me to my first two points.)

http://www.sporcle.com/games/AngrySi/premier-league---goals-in-consecutive-games

There's a show missed answers checkbox and a give up button if you're not a fan of guessing games.

Yet some people will still insist that AVB's coaching has had nothing to do with Bale being a superior player this season!!!

Adebayor scored in 7 in a row 07/08 apparently...

Firstly, this is not a source I particularly trust. Secondly, I don't know if this is PL players that scored in PL games in a row or any games in a row... Thirdly, this site lists more than 5. (Which leads me to my first two points.)

http://www.sporcle.com/games/AngrySi/premier-league---goals-in-consecutive-games

There's a show missed answers checkbox and a give up button if you're not a fan of guessing games.

Yup, according to http://espnfc.com/player/_/id/16684/emmanuel-adebayor?cc=5739 Adebayor scored in 9 consecutive games that season (2 of those were cup games) if only he could manage to repeat that between now and the end of the season [-o<

That guessing game appears to be largely correct, as Henry did indeed score in 7 consecutive EPL games in 99/00: http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=13501&season_id=129 as did Shearer in 96/97. And according to BBC Sport - Instant impact - the Premier League's best goalscoring starts Francesco Baiano scored 6 games on the trot for Derby County in 1997, certainly not a name that sprang to mind!

The only players to manage 5 game scoring streaks for Spurs are Keane, Sheringham and VdV with Chris Armstrong on 4. So I'm guessing that the stat which Rossi mentioned was meant to say that Bale is only the 5th Tottenham player in PL history to score in 4 consecutive games :-"

Ian Wright once scored in 12 consecutive games, 7 of them in the Premier League.

Mark Stein also managed 7 in a row with Chelsea in 93/94.

Van Persie scored in 9 out of 10 games during November/December/January this season, 4 in a row, then 5 in a row. He also managed 5 games in a row last season.

It has been a long long time since a Spurs player scored 20 goals or more in the league. How great it will be if Bale can do that this season. He has got 11 matches to score another 5 goals to reach the 20 goals mark. On current form, there is no reason whatsover why he cannot do that. And Bale is also just 4 goals behind RVP in the race for golden boot as the top goal scorer in the league. Sheringham must be the last Spurs player to have finished as the league's top goal scorer. Hope Bale can achieve both this season.

Back