• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Gareth Bale

Re: Gareth Bale

Wasn't it something we proposed a couple of years back AS?

i think so MP my good man, i think so.

Visionaries you and I ;)

could have sworn mumorn was on the same train too? before he started trying to point out that bale wasnt the centre of the footballing universe.

there was another guy who actually called it better than we did and actually had bale in the centre as an attacking mid roaming across the width of the pitch.....picking the ball up and charging with it. shame i cant remember who

but it was plain to see that stuck out wide is not where he belonged

Visionaries you and I ;)

could have sworn mumorn was on the same train too? before he started trying to point out that bale wasnt the centre of the footballing universe.

there was another guy who actually called it better than we did and actually had bale in the centre as an attacking mid roaming across the width of the pitch.....picking the ball up and charging with it. shame i cant remember who

I was on board and I still am because I sort of feel it could get the best out of AVBs tactics. Holtby cutting in from the left, Sigurdsson cutting in from the right, Dembele, Sandro, Moutinho in the middle. Yum

That's not 'beyond coincidence', that's what happens when a team goes down to ten men. They are forced to give away space.

Just saying how i saw it. I do not want to play Bale up front, i think his best attributes would be wasted at this stage.

But he was still coming inside from a right/somewhat central position, and he is unquestionably better cutting inside onto his left foot to shoot than he is cutting inside from the left onto his right.

Is he not better, starting from deep and driving forward into space to counter attack and shoot or whip in the ball ? He's not one to sit, find space receive and shoot. Not saying he couldn't do the latter, but he seems more of a threat running at pace from deep.

He probably is. As the goal against Norwich demonstrated once again, and like we've seen time and time again in recent years he's a fudging outstanding counter attacking player. The combination of pace, power, ball control and balance along with a great ability to look up to find a cross and with shooting ability from range combined with clinical finishing one on one makes him one of the best counter attacking players in the world in my book at least.

That all requires space to run into though. When teams can double up on him and sit deep to severely limit the space they leave in behind Bale can be stopped on the left somewhat effectively. Of course no one will be able to completely negate him as a threat, but his impact on a game can be limited. We've seen this even more often than we've seen him rip teams apart on the break. In those situations having him in central or on the right might mean that he's less involved in chance creation, he might not put that many crosses in, but when he gets the ball close to or inside the box he will be a real threat and will be more likely to score goals. He will of course still be at threat on the break when those rare counter attacking opportunities present themselves, as we've seen.

He gives us different options, personally I'm very happy with how he's being managed in this regard. He does stay wide left at times, he does pop up on the right or through the centre at times. Where he's the most effective will vary depending on the game flow. I was calling for more "extreme movements" last season when he drifted inside a bit, but seemed to stay almost in an inside left position or just swap flanks and then stay on the right. I think we've seen him drift more in a larger area this season, making him harder to pick up. We've even seen him drop a little deeper allowing Ekotto ahead of him at times this season, something we very rarely saw last season.

This swapping of places is also a good thing on a more theoretic scale as well. If he only plays on the left then the one major adjustment opponents have to make is to make sure they have a solid right back that isn't too adventurous going forward and a really hard working right midfielder/winger that gets back to help his right back out every time. We've seen teams like Everton essentially play two right backs against us. The cost for them in lessening their threat going forward is easily made up for by limiting the effectiveness Bale has for us. If on the other hand Bale can also do real damage from the right and through the middle all of a sudden they are now playing a right winger that's not that good going forward, but without effecting Bale. To cover both flanks they would have to play two wingers/wide men who are both very hard working. Again, we make it more difficult for them to adjust to us.

Visionaries you and I ;)

He is a fudging superstar. And he's our only real superstar. Getting the best out of him should be a priority.

He shouldn't be only stuck out wide left, but it's very important that he continues to be out there at least somewhat frequently against teams, it forces them to adjust and he is a real threat down there.

He really has stepped up another level this season. He is only 30 goals a season away from being our very own Ronaldo. It does however make me cringe when he does the Ronaldo technique on freekick.

Doesn't make me cringe at all, in fact I'm very glad to see it.

A free kick is a set play and in that regard it's almost like a golf shot, a field kicky thingy in American football, baseball throwing etc. It's not a dynamic exercise at all, the closer you can get to doing the same thing every time (or rather, doing one of a small selection of things) the better. You don't see a golfer lining up for a drive halfheartedly getting his stance somewhat right. Both for concentration and for muscle memory I believe having a regular routine you go through every time helps athletes perform this kind of repetitive task more consistently.

If he does it just for show "to be like Ronaldo" then it's obviously dumb. If he lines up the same way every time he takes a free kick in training and every time in game thus giving himself a routine I think he will be a better free kick taker as a result.

I was on board and I still am because I sort of feel it could get the best out of AVBs tactics. Holtby cutting in from the left, Sigurdsson cutting in from the right, Dembele, Sandro, Moutinho in the middle. Yum

who are the full backs?

and whats siggy like in tight spaces passing wise?

edit:- bale?

who are the full backs?

and whats siggy like in tight spaces passing wise?

edit:- bale?

Ekotto marauding down the left and Walker marauding down the right hence the inverted wingers cutting in? I like Holtbys work rate so I have no doubt he'd be up and down helping is defence. I'm not sure on how Siggy is defensively which could be a problem with Ekotto although usually it hasn't hurt Ekotto a great deal as Bale isn't the best defensively neither.

I think he's better than people give credit for, he has good feet and is accurate with his passing. I think confidence and games will be crucial for him

and bale?

Is he not better, starting from deep and driving forward into space to counter attack and shoot or whip in the ball ? He's not one to sit, find space receive and shoot. Not saying he couldn't do the latter, but he seems more of a threat running at pace from deep.
Nail on head.

Yesterday, given the freedom to roam, he ripped WBA a new one, their defenders just didn't know which way to turn. Result? Numerous crosses from the left (albeit somewhat overhit) when he chose the left flank and a veritable plethora shots from around the box when he came inside.

No wonder AVB's relaxed about his limited striker options.

8440487031_12c8f39efe_o.gif

He has become a matchwinner pure and simple. So many games this season we looked short of ideas and he produced a moment of magic to win us points, yesterday was a perfect example

RVP started as a wide left player that liked to drift inside. Look at him now. Dont see why Bale cant continue to develop further in the same way and contribute more than 20 goals a season from a more central position

Thats not strictly true...Van persie has always been a striker in some form, he just developed from being a support striker to one that leads the line. The skillset that Bale has is prefect for playing as the central striker, but he would need to change the way that he approaches the game mentally for it to work imo. There was a chance yday that highlighted the conundrum...when he dribbled from the left flank to the right-edge of the box and shot well to the top corner - on MOTD and these forums people were in awe of the ability and directness that he showed, whereas I tend to wonder whether passing the ball off to someone further forward early and looking for a return pass might have been and easier, quicker and less predictable way of fashioning a chance. Its rare that i watch a player and am so impressed by what theyre able to do, but find what they are doing so frustrating. Yes, it is brilliant that Bale is able to win us points the way he has done this week, but in setting the team up like that it excuses the need to work out a reliable way of creating chances.

Playing with your back to goal is an important part of a main striker's role -or should be. Something RVP is excellent at, as is Berbatov, Dzeko etc etc I'm not sure Bale's game would suit that, or that it would be the best use of his outstanding pace. I think he is best face forward running at defenders. He would be good on the left of a 4-3-3, for example.

But he was still coming inside from a right/somewhat central position, and he is unquestionably better cutting inside onto his left foot to shoot than he is cutting inside from the left onto his right.

He probably is. As the goal against Norwich demonstrated once again, and like we've seen time and time again in recent years he's a fudging outstanding counter attacking player. The combination of pace, power, ball control and balance along with a great ability to look up to find a cross and with shooting ability from range combined with clinical finishing one on one makes him one of the best counter attacking players in the world in my book at least.

That all requires space to run into though. When teams can double up on him and sit deep to severely limit the space they leave in behind Bale can be stopped on the left somewhat effectively. Of course no one will be able to completely negate him as a threat, but his impact on a game can be limited. We've seen this even more often than we've seen him rip teams apart on the break. In those situations having him in central or on the right might mean that he's less involved in chance creation, he might not put that many crosses in, but when he gets the ball close to or inside the box he will be a real threat and will be more likely to score goals. He will of course still be at threat on the break when those rare counter attacking opportunities present themselves, as we've seen.

He gives us different options, personally I'm very happy with how he's being managed in this regard. He does stay wide left at times, he does pop up on the right or through the centre at times. Where he's the most effective will vary depending on the game flow. I was calling for more "extreme movements" last season when he drifted inside a bit, but seemed to stay almost in an inside left position or just swap flanks and then stay on the right. I think we've seen him drift more in a larger area this season, making him harder to pick up. We've even seen him drop a little deeper allowing Ekotto ahead of him at times this season, something we very rarely saw last season.

This swapping of places is also a good thing on a more theoretic scale as well. If he only plays on the left then the one major adjustment opponents have to make is to make sure they have a solid right back that isn't too adventurous going forward and a really hard working right midfielder/winger that gets back to help his right back out every time. We've seen teams like Everton essentially play two right backs against us. The cost for them in lessening their threat going forward is easily made up for by limiting the effectiveness Bale has for us. If on the other hand Bale can also do real damage from the right and through the middle all of a sudden they are now playing a right winger that's not that good going forward, but without effecting Bale. To cover both flanks they would have to play two wingers/wide men who are both very hard working. Again, we make it more difficult for them to adjust to us.

Excellent post.

I think what defines his game now is starting his career (please correct me if I'm wrong), as a LB where he faces forward, and runs with the ball. I'm sure he could learn to turn his back to goal, receive, lay off, run round.

His potential is frightening... If he could learn to dribble, with his right foot as well, he would be a ronaldo/messi type, run with the ball. Rooney who ? Cisse ?? But perhaps i'm jumping ahead. Nah, he limits himself by only what he believes he can do, or what the manager wants. Remember the run and goal v rio at OT ? I'm babbling, but I'm a happy chappy.

Playing with your back to goal is an important part of a main striker's role -or should be. Something RVP is excellent at, as is Berbatov, Dzeko etc etc I'm not sure Bale's game would suit that, or that it would be the best use of his outstanding pace. I think he is best face forward running at defenders. He would be good on the left of a 4-3-3, for example.

surely bale is capable of playing with his back to goal with the current crop of players around - its just a simple pass backwards or sideways before a 180 degree turn and off he goes... many options considering how we pack the area in front of the penalty box.

Back