• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Franco Baldini

My summary of Baldini's performance at Spurs is a 6 to 7 out of 10. Whilst signings such as Soldado, Paulinho, Chiriches and Stambouli didn't work, the fees that we got for selling them meant that we have not lost too much money. However, the signings of Chadli, Dier, Davies, Alli and Eriksen have proved to be undoubted successes given the sums of money that we paid. Lamela is yet to prove himself but has time.

To me personally, it is a shame that he has left. However, it's not a great loss. This club will go on, and we will get in another who will carry on.

He did ok, but in that role you have one job and that's to spend money on talent, there is no room for just doing ok...

I think we'll see Baldini turn a profit while he was with us, and probably a pretty big one. We made profit on Stambouli i think, broke even with Capoue, and lost around 10 mil on soldado and paulinho? Considering Dier came in for very little (5m perhaps?) and Alli for the same, he can probably afford a little loss on lamela (and that looks like it might not happen now!).

The main job is to sign players, and he got more wrong than right.

And you know this how?

Yes, he probably did a lot of work during the process of signing them, but was he told to identify and sign them as he saw fit? Extremely unlikely. We actually managed to bring in several highly rated players and didn't even have to wait for deadline day to sign them. I'd say he did his job very well and what has been done behind the scenes is only just beginning to bear fruit.

@Jurgen the German : I think we've been down this road before, so I would repost the following:

As Jordinho has said, transfer activities are only part of it, and I will caveat what I say with the fact that we don't know if they were "his" signings. What I mean by that is that everything we have heard from the club is that signings are done by committee, and Baldini's role is talent spotting as well as ensuring the transfers happen. He came in at a time when everyone knew Bale was leaving and had a remit to bring in players to fit into AVB's team. So we signed:

1. Paulinho - goal scoring midfielder and a brazilian international no less. Apparently other teams were interested but we will never know that but the transfer was done early (June/July I think?) and I know that's rated highly here. It didn't work out but I don't remember any pundit or anyone here saying that this was a waste of money. Paulinho scored goals, but plainly was not suited to this league. If you are to believe what the press say, Baldini's role was also in getting rid, which he has done with minimal financial loss;

2. Chiriches - We needed a defender to replace Caulker, and he took a punt on a 23 year old Romanian international defender. We bought him for £7m near the end of the window iirc and we sold him for £4m. It didn't work out, but by all accounts he was well rated. Poch said he wanted to give every player a chance, and once determined that Chiriches was not the right player, he was gotton rid of.

3. Soldado - We needed and wanted a proven goal scorer and Soldado fitted the bill and was done early in August. It plainly did not work out, but it seems like he's well liked but they are looking for an upgrade;

4. Lamela - Jury probably still out but obviously he's not lived up to the high expectations. One of the highest rated youngsters at the time and we spent a lot of money near the end of the transfer window. Poch rates him obviously so there must be something there.

5. Chadli - Bought him for £7m in July so early again in the transfer window. I think he's been pretty good value for £7m and should be worth more;

6. Eriksen - Bought him for £11m near the end of the transfer window but with a fair amount of competition for his signing. He's been pretty good value for £11m;

7. Capoue - Bought for £8m in August. French international and seemed to be what AVB wanted. Sold for same amount to Watford as soon as it was decided he was not good enough;

8. Ben Davies - Bought for £10m late July? I can't remember as it was a part of the merry go round with Swansea. Was he bought as back up or to replace Rose, I don't know. At the time fans were wanting to get rid of Rose. Given how much left backs seem to be going for at the moment, I don't think that's bad value;

9. Vorm - Bought for £3.5m late July? Same merry go round set up with Swansea. Obviously bought as a back up, and I can't think of many better back ups;

10. Dier - Bought beginning of August for £4m. Pretty good value given his performances last season;

11. Yedlin - Bought for £2.5m in August but agreed to see out the MLS season. Not really had much time to judge the player but £2.5m is hardly a huge gamble;

12. Fazio - £8m near the end of August. Not our first choice apparently, and I'd say jury is still out. I don't think we've lost a lot of value, but he has done all right and certainly no worse than the performances from Dawson and Kaboul that we were getting;

13. Stambouli - Bought for £5m on deadline day I think. Not first choice, but PSG obviously see something in him and we've sold him for a profit;

14. Dele Alli - Bought for £5m. One of the english exciting talents and you'd think our investment is safe but probably too early to say;

15. Wimmer - Transfer agreed in May for £4m? Seems solid enough but too early to tell;

16. Trippier - Bought in June for £3.5m. Young english right back, and not sure you're going to get much better value for £3.5m; and

17. Alderweireld - Bought in July for £11.5m. Took advantage of the Saints not taking up their option. Proven in the EPL, compatriot of Vertonghen. I'd say money was safe.

In addition to that there are the sales. He's sold Holtby (£5m), Capoue, Kaboul (£3m), Stambouli, Chiriches, Fredericks, Livermore (£8m), Sigurdsson (£10m?), Falque (£4m), Dawson (£6m), Coulibaly (£1.5m), Fryers (£3m), Sandro (£10m), Naughton (£5m), Caulker (£9m), Dempsey (£6m), Huddlestone (£5m), Parker (£3.5m), and not to mention Bale.

Obviously Levy and the rest of the transfer committee will have played varying parts in all of those deals. He would also have had a say in the appointment of Poch who I think has been a success so far as well as Mitchell.

Poch's style and requirement of players are different to AVBs, so I think it has been difficult for him. How he spent the Bale transfer money in that window will always be something that he will be remembered for, but I don't think that it is fair. You cannot get all transfers right, and I'd say Soldado and Lamela are the only real question marks. We've managed to get rid of the other poorer performers for similar amounts to what we bought them for. He's been here for 3 summer transfer windows.

There will be so much behind the scenes that we do not know about, but there is one thing that we know for sure and that is Levy is not patient with failure. So, he must have proven his worth somehow to stay this long.

Now, I'd love to see which other clubs have not made similar mistakes in the transfer market, or DoFs that have done a better job given the resources. If you were to value the players, I'd wager that were we to sell all of them, we would end up getting more money than we spent on them.

And a final point. When he arrived, we were selling our best player. We have finished in roughly the same position each season since then, despite going from AVB to Sherwood to Poch. Not bad going. If we were expecting him to get us into top 4, then that is a failure, but I would say having that expectation is unfair.

And you know this how?

Yes, he probably did a lot of work during the process of signing them, but was he told to identify and sign them as he saw fit? Extremely unlikely. We actually managed to bring in several highly rated players and didn't even have to wait for deadline day to sign them. I'd say he did his job very well and what has been done behind the scenes is only just beginning to bear fruit.

So why has he been released then if he was doing such a great job?

I know by what I've seen over the past couple of years; Paulinho, Stambouli, Soldado, Fazio, Capoue, Chiriches.

So why has he been released then if he was doing such a great job?

I know by what I've seen over the past couple of years; Paulinho, Stambouli, Soldado, Fazio, Capoue, Chiriches.

The statement says that he has left by mutual consent to spend time outside of football. So he hasn't been released.

The statement says that he has left by mutual consent to spend time outside of football. So he hasn't been released.

'mutual consent' means we agreed a pay-off. He will have signed a commitment not to work for x months but he wont have committed to never working in football again

'mutual consent' means we agreed a pay-off. He will have signed a commitment not to work for x months but he wont have committed to never working in football again

It can mean that but it can also have other meanings. For example, it could also mean that something is going on in his life and he wants some time out to deal with it.

It can mean that but it can also have other meanings. For example, it could also mean that something is going on in his life and he wants some time out to deal with it.

Let the textbook Glory Glory hypothetical argument about something none of us could ever possibly know the answer to begin!!!

Let the textbook Glory Glory hypothetical argument about something none of us could ever possibly know the answer to begin!!!

I've no interest in a hypothetical argument, I was just pointing out that there could be other reasons for him leaving.

Back