• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Franco Baldini

When it comes to getting rid of players (a lot of whom weren't good enough and he was at the very least partially involved in btw), but overall I would argue that the signings haven't been good enough, with the exception of Chadli and Eriksen so far at least.

But good enough for what? Getting us into the top 4 with a limited budget? You take out one £85m player replace him with an equivalent amount of talent and we finish there or thereabouts with a change in manager and still expect us to finish top 4? Not sure many Technical directors could achieve that. With the resources available, he's done quite well. Yes he could have done better, but I don't see many technical directors achieving better results. If our expectation is to break into the top 4 but not spending as much as those top 4 teams, then we need to give whoever more than 3 summer transfer windows to make a judgement, surely?

Someone has to take the blame. :)

I don't see why discussions can't be had on evaluating players, managers and back room staff etc. This pig headed obstinacy from from certain quarters is quite grating (not pointing fingers at anyone in particular). As Indianspur very eloquently put it, the slightest bit of criticism towards Poch or Baldini for example is treated with the tone of "I'm a better fan than you because I'm always positive even when we lose 3-0 to Stoke". Even the slightest critique of AVB is dealt with short shrift and he left nearly two years ago! We can't be unhappy/worried that we haven't signed a striker either.

How can we expect to move forward and progress if we cannot even give constructive criticism?

I don't see why discussions can't be had on evaluating players, managers and back room staff etc. This pig headed obstinacy from from certain quarters is quite grating (not pointing fingers at anyone in particular). As Indianspur very eloquently put it, the slightest bit of criticism towards Poch or Baldini for example is treated with the tone of "I'm a better fan than you because I'm always positive even when we lose 3-0 to Stoke". Even the slightest critique of AVB is dealt with short shrift and he left nearly two years ago! We can't be unhappy/worried that we haven't signed a striker either.

How can we expect to move forward and progress if we cannot even give constructive criticism?

Go for it if that is your thing, This pig headed obstinacy from certain quarters is quite grating (not pointing fingers at anyone in particular) to always look for someone to blame is just the same.

But good enough for what? Getting us into the top 4 with a limited budget? You take out one £85m player replace him with an equivalent amount of talent and we finish there or thereabouts with a change in manager and still expect us to finish top 4? Not sure many Technical directors could achieve that. With the resources available, he's done quite well. Yes he could have done better, but I don't see many technical directors achieving better results. If our expectation is to break into the top 4 but not spending as much as those top 4 teams, then we need to give whoever more than 3 summer transfer windows to make a judgement, surely?

The squad was a top 5/6 calibre before he arrived and it still is so at best, you could say he's achieved par. I'm not expecting to finish in the top 4, but I believe with our resources, we should be knocking on the door.

Granted he has more than one duty i.e. to sign players, but it's the most important aspect of the job and I would argue he's done not well enough.

The squad was a top 5/6 calibre before he arrived and it still is so at best, you could say he's achieved par. I'm not expecting to finish in the top 4, but I believe with our resources, we should be knocking on the door.

Granted he has more than one duty i.e. to sign players, but it's the most important aspect of the job and I would argue he's done not well enough.

Agreed, we've not progressed in getting into the top 4 and we're not going into the last few weeks of the season with a realistic chance of breaking the top 4. I don't think that Baldini is solely responsible for signings, Levy and the club have said as much. So I don't understand why are people are looking to blame him for the signings.

As for the other points that you noted, I hope I'm not one of those posters! I'm just putting my point across and would never think that I am better than any other fan.

Go for it if that is your thing, This pig headed obstinacy from certain quarters is quite grating (not pointing fingers at anyone in particular) to always look for someone to blame is just the same.

You see it as "blaming", others see it as healthy criticism, granted some of it does go too far. I don't know what your profession is, but in most fields, it's a necessity to evaluate the performance of the company on an individual and collective basis and give some home truths when necessary, it doesn't make sense to pretend everything is hunky dory. Simply accusing others of "blaming" people whenever a critique is made is not right in my opinion but each to their own.

have any of the teams around us achieved par with the same net spend though?

Agreed, we've not progressed in getting into the top 4 and we're not going into the last few weeks of the season with a realistic chance of breaking the top 4. I don't think that Baldini is solely responsible for signings, Levy and the club have said as much. So I don't understand why are people are looking to blame him for the signings.

As for the other points that you noted, I hope I'm not one of those posters! I'm just putting my point across and would never think that I am better than any other fan.

I would say that criticism finds him because it's logical to believe that he is the head of the quote unquote "transfer committee" from the respect of everyone below Mr Daniel Levy. Whether that will change with Mitchell on board remains to be seen.

You see it as "blaming", others see it as healthy criticism, granted some of it does go too far. I don't know what your profession is, but in most fields, it's a necessity to evaluate the performance of the company on an individual and collective basis and give some home truths when necessary, it doesn't make sense to pretend everything is hunky dory. Simply accusing others of "blaming" people whenever a critique is made is not right in my opinion but each to their own.

People who work at firms as you say have to be evaluated by those they work for and with, which is a hell of a lot different then being judged by fans on a forum ( who in all honesty have no idea what happens), but if it floats your boat go for it.

I would say that criticism finds him because it's logical to believe that he is the head of the quote unquote "transfer committee" from the respect of everyone below Mr Daniel Levy. Whether that will change with Mitchell on board remains to be seen.

http://en.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/278739.html

"We are all in this together," he said as he commented on the three-man transfer committee currently in place at Spurs. "We all talk about players together and unless we are all in agreement they won't come in, simple as that. There is no point in bringing players in who I don't sanction as they will end up not playing.

I think that quote would suggest that Baldini is not at the head of the transfer committee. Mitchell would be an addition to that.

People who work at firms as you say have to be evaluated by those they work for and with, which is a hell of a lot different then being judged by fans on a forum ( who in all honesty have no idea what happens), but if it floats your boat go for it.

So essentially just close the forum after a defeat as we don't know what's going on so we can't be critical. We can see on the pitch what is happening Parklane. No one is aggressive or abusive. Finally, I'm fairly certain Poch, Levy and the players couldn't give a feck about what any of us say so who does it really hurt? ;)

Last edited:
anyone around us over the last few seasons, we've held station and turned a profit on transfers at the same time

(obviously a lot more to it than fee's paid)

I would give Levy more credit than Baldini for that. As I said, the squad was top 5/6 calibre before Baldini but it's got declined IMO.

I would give Levy more credit than Baldini for that. As I said, the squad was top 5/6 calibre before Baldini but it's got declined IMO.

I think the first 11 has declined but the squad is more resilient to unavailability now, clubs spend millions to stand still every year, we don't spend anything, I think that reflects positively on all involved

That's going by the word of Tim Sherwood who most on here wouldn't trust with a fiver let alone millions. AVB is a good example of a manager who was given players that he did not ask for.

I'll see if I can find another source or perhaps even a quote from Levy himself. I actually think he just recently said that Pochettino has final say on all transfers.
Whilst some may doubt the integrity of Sherwood, what has he to gain by being dishonest about this.

So essentially just close the forum after a defeat as we don't know what's going on so we can't be critical. We can see on the pitch what is happening Parklane. No one is aggressive or abusive. Finally, I'm fairly certain Poch, Levy and the players couldn't give a feck about what any of us say so who does it really hurt? ;)

I can't tell you how tempting that is sometimes

That's going by the word of Tim Sherwood who most on here wouldn't trust with a fiver let alone millions. AVB is a good example of a manager who was given players that he did not ask for.

Departing managers have an interest in distancing themselves from transfers that don't work and in most cases, the others involved don't get to tell the other sides to the story.

OK, so if it is transfers that we are measuring shouldn't it be the transfer committee taking the responsibility rather than scape goating one member of it?

Can you produce a Pie chart, as to the influence of each of the commitee, and a Gant chart for the various members at each stage, then I'm happy to spread the blame.
Either way, it's hardly been a success. I appreciate that others are probably at fault too, but imo and maybe I'm totally wrong, Lovejoy has the biggest influence overall, budget asside.

Back