• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Franco Baldini - New Technical Director

Re: Franco Baldini

Our 'link-ups' with inter and real are meaningless. They achieve nothing. Just attempted PR stunts

no they really aren't - they're just connections on the less glamorous side of the game, people think - wow a link up with Real Madrid we're gonna be signing all their rejects :p!!! so when it's actually just scouting knowledge coaching info marketing stuff which doesn't actually have any physical rewards right away they get tinkled off that their false hopes are dashed.

no they really aren't - they're just connections on the less glamorous side of the game, people think - wow a link up with Real Madrid we're gonna be signing all their rejects :p!!! so when it's actually just scouting knowledge coaching info marketing stuff which doesn't actually have any physical rewards right away they get tinkled off that their false hopes are dashed.

Name something, anything which has materialised from our link-ups with Inter or Real? Seriously, I'm not asking for anything big, just anything!

The only partnerships like this where anything has happened are the ones with the South African and American teams where we're taken players on trial from SA and sent Dawkins (I think) back to the US for a second spell

You're kind of ignoring/missing my point mate - the benefits from these kinds of deals/set ups arent measured by what we see happening as supporters - it's behind the scenes growth which isn't easy to spot from the outside as the benefits cannot be seen immediately and happen over years rather than weeks.

I can't give you any examples tbf but i just think many supporters get the wrong idea about what these deals are about - the ones we have in place will have very little (if anything at all) to do with transfers/first team matters and will mostly be scouting/marketing based deals.

The best thing about this is that AVB will have who he wants in place and Levy will have the DoF he has wanted since we stopped having one under 'Arry...

One interesting thing to note are the players we DID get with an effective DoF at the helm. The list is pretty impressive...

You're kind of ignoring/missing my point mate - the benefits from these kinds of deals/set ups arent measured by what we see happening as supporters - it's behind the scenes growth which isn't easy to spot from the outside as the benefits cannot be seen immediately and happen over years rather than weeks.

I can't give you any examples tbf but i just think many supporters get the wrong idea about what these deals are about - the ones we have in place will have very little (if anything at all) to do with transfers/first team matters and will mostly be scouting/marketing based deals.

I agree fully.

I don't think Levy would keep making these deals if they didn't benefit the club on some level. A lot of things that go on behind the scenes won't be known to us, asking for something specific that has materialized from those deals is like asking for something specific that has materialized from having Daniel Sousa as our primary opposition scout or one of the many youth coaches around. 0

The best thing about this is that AVB will have who he wants in place and Levy will have the DoF he has wanted since we stopped having one under 'Arry...

One interesting thing to note are the players we DID get with an effective DoF at the helm. The list is pretty impressive...

I agree, it seemed to benefit us greatly in the long term. Some massive signings were made during those times and I think that long term thinking is vital for our continued progress.

It seems that Comolli is a pretty good talent spotter, but the problem there seemed to me to be that he wasn't able to spot what reinforcements were needed immediately for the first team. Hopefully if we do get someone new in that person will be able to both spot long term targets with massive potential and work with AVB and the rest of the transfer team to identify the right players for right now.

It seems that Comolli is a pretty good talent spotter, but the problem there seemed to me to be that he wasn't able to spot what reinforcements were needed immediately for the first team. Hopefully if we do get someone new in that person will be able to both spot long term targets with massive potential and work with AVB and the rest of the transfer team to identify the right players for right now.

I read somewhere that the only player he spotted when he was with us was BAE, Wenger has been very disparaging about him and his time down the road too.

who was the genius DoF who spotted Vertonghen's potential :-k just like Modric and Berbatov, lots of top clubs looked and looked but no-one took the chance but Spurs

who was the genius DoF who spotted Vertonghen's potential :-k just like Modric and Berbatov, lots of top clubs looked and looked but no-one took the chance but Spurs

With the amount of money we're spending on agents I think we use them a lot for info on potential buys. There's much leg work to be done before you actually put in a bid. You already know if the player wants to come etc.

Duncan Castles says we have offered him the job, he just has to discuss his way out of his remaining 2 year contract at Roma

Anyone else think that we might be playing our cards slowly in the transfer market until a deal for Baldini is tied up?

Unlike AVB last year where he wasn't contracted to a club and Levy could freely talk to him including talks about transfer strategy Baldini is still contracted to Roma and we might want to secure a DoF (if we want one) before spending our money this window.

id imagine we have some long(ish) standing targets we can move on before Baldini's supposed arrival - although if it is as close as some suggest we may hold off until he arrives as he will be heavily involved in negotiations id have thought

id imagine we have some long(ish) standing targets we can move on before Baldini's supposed arrival - although if it is as close as some suggest we may hold off until he arrives as he will be heavily involved in negotiations id have thought

Like signing Siggy and Verts being signed the same time as AVB arriving I guess.

As AVB and Baldini are mates, I'm sure there's a lot of conversations already happening.

where does this AVB Baldini being mates stuff stem from GB?

Duncan Castles said this in one of http://www.oneworldsports.com/tottenham-asks-baldini-technical-director/

The 52-year-old has known Villas-Boas since the Portuguese’s spell as one of Jose Mourinho’s assistant coaches at Internazionale, attempting to recruit him as Roma’s coach before he left FC Porto for Chelsea. Villas-Boas had hoped a technical director would be appointed last summer and has championed Tottenham’s pursuit of Baldini, an occasional dining partner.

Not sure about them being mates though, nor am I convinced that they're already talking transfer strategy.

where does this AVB Baldini being mates stuff stem from GB?

AVB's media mouthpiece Jason Burt mentioned it: "Villas-Boas’s good relationships with Baldini and Villa... could be key to their arrivals" (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...ns-League-ambitions-with-top-four-finish.html)

They've also been trying to work together for some time - AVB tried to get Abramovich to appoint Baldini at Chelsea, and then Baldini tried to bring AVB to Roma.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/spurs-bid-for-franco-baldini-heldup-8645310.html

"Tottenham's bid to appoint Franco Baldini as their technical director is being delayed by Roma’s search for a new manager.

Baldini is believed to be ready to offer his resignation as director general of the Italian club after two poor seasons and is Spurs’ No1 choice to provide the link between head coach Andre Villas-Boas and the board of directors.

Yet the process is being held up because Roma have not yet secured a manager for next season. They were close to hiring Massimiliano Allegri before he decided to stay at AC Milan.

The favourites for the Roma job are now former France coach Laurent Blanc and compatriot Rudi Garcia, who led Lille to the league and cup double in France in 2011.

Roma president James Pallotta is expected to make his decision this week and he will then turn to sorting out the future of Baldini (above), who was Fabio Capello’s right-hand man with England.

Meanwhile, Aston Villa forward Christian Benteke is high on Spurs’ list of targets as they try to improve their striking options for next season."

I'm pretty sure if things are quite far down the line as they seem Baldini would have already mentioned targets and we're persuing....

Back