• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Formula One on Sky

The commentators on the Norwegian broadcast kept saying how Lewis should pit to change his tires just in case there was a crash and a safety car. So that was always a possibility. He took a gamble by not changing tires.
And the flaw to that plan is?.....:rolleyes:

Considering the money, the technology, the research, the expertise, the minute gains/advantages sort by all teams week by week they are certainly subject to a set of rules that any sane minded person would be thinking 'why are we bothering'.

For starters, the safety car rules are ridiculous. The fact a driver can build up a lead throughout the race, be it 5 seconds or 50 seconds and then have that completely wiped out because some back marker crashes out is just wrong. Obviously this can and does happen to everyone but it just doesn't seem right. There must be a fairer way.

For starters, the safety car rules are ridiculous. The fact a driver can build up a lead throughout the race, be it 5 seconds or 50 seconds and then have that completely wiped out because some back marker crashes out is just wrong. Obviously this can and does happen to everyone but it just doesn't seem right. There must be a fairer way.

They know the time gaps between cars, no reason they can’t be maintained, rather than having them follow the safety car, get them all back on the grid and then release them with the correct time gap between each.

Much like goals in football, the organisation are obsessed with overtaking and think that’s what gets people to watch.

DRS has made it worthless.

Considering the money, the technology, the research, the expertise, the minute gains/advantages sort by all teams week by week they are certainly subject to a set of rules that any sane minded person would be thinking 'why are we bothering'.

Hard to disagree with that. That a championship is essentially decided by a 15th placed nobody smashing into a wall is quite insane.

Ultimately it's more entertainment and business than a competitive sport, I suppose. Otherwise they'd let all drivers drive in whatever car they wish and they would all race separately on time instead of against one another.

I don't watch this sport but it was on in the pub. Bit mental that ypu can have a massive advantage and that gaps are not kept while the safety car is out.

I hate Hamilton though so am quite chilled by it all haha.

What do you want to watch? 20 cars driving around the circuit all by themselves for 60 laps, or tight racing with action and overtakes? Nascar and Indy car use the safety car a lot more, to keep the race tight.

Also, WTF are they supposed to do when there is an accident and marshals need to clear the track? Just let the race continue and run over the marshals? There is a reason for the safety car, and it's in the name! Safety! They use the VSC when possible, that keeps the distance between cars, but when marshals and recovery vehicles need to be on the track, they have to compact the field, to let the marshals work in relative safety for a period of time, and not have to worry about racing cars passing every second.

We do not want more accidents and deaths, like Jules Bianchi. That accident is the reason why they use safety cars more often now, and drive much slower in the sector where work is going on.

Last edited:
What do you want to watch? 20 cars driving around the circuit all by themselves for 60 laps, or tight racing with action and overtakes? Nascar and Indy car use the safety car a lot more, to keep the race tight.

I want to see fairness. I know luck and circumstance play a big roll in all sports, but they should at least try to limit it.

Exactly, it would make it even more farcical. They won't change the result. Perhaps they penalize Max 5s for restart and they relook at the first lap incident and give Hamilton a 5s penalty. Then they could claim they are strictly following the rules (apart from the made up bit).

I'm trying to think of an example in other sports where the advantage built up during a game or race can be negated. It seems like you take a 3-0 lead in football and then when a player is injured and received medical attention on the pitch, you start again from 1-0, while allowing the losing team an extra player.

Exactly, it would make it even more farcical. They won't change the result. Perhaps they penalize Max 5s for restart and they relook at the first lap incident and give Hamilton a 5s penalty. Then they could claim they are strictly following the rules (apart from the made up bit).

I'm trying to think of an example in other sports where the advantage built up during a game or race can be negated. It seems like you take a 3-0 lead in football and then when a player is injured and received medical attention on the pitch, you start again from 1-0, while allowing the losing team an extra player.

Its next goal wins, of course Horner was begging to “let them race” he had the new tires, no way he’d have been advocating that were the roles reversed.

I want to see fairness. I know luck and circumstance play a big roll in all sports, but they should at least try to limit it.
So you think it is unfair that the driver who has led for most laps during the season, has been top of the championship table for the longest time this season, and lead races for the longest amount of time, wins it?

So you think it is unfair that the driver who has led for most laps during the season, has been top of the championship table for the longest time this season, and lead races for the longest amount of time, wins it?

No I don't, I never mentioned that. Max is a deserving winner, as Lewis would have been. I was referencing the Safety car rules which I think are blatantly unfair to whoever is leading.

Why don’t they just do the ‘virtual safety car’ all the time so the positions and gaps are maintained rather than allowing everyone to catch up because someone else has crashed?

Anyway, I’ve never understood the hate for Hamilton he’s always seemed a humble guy to me. Even in these circumstances he took defeat well, which we know Max wouldn’t have considering he was whinging down the radio to his team during the race about how biased towards Hamilton the stewards are. But personalities aside, well done Max - he has made it one of the most interesting battles in recent years….

No I don't, I never mentioned that. Max is a deserving winner, as Lewis would have been. I was referencing the Safety car rules which I think are blatantly unfair to whoever is leading.
That's just how it is. It's part of the sport and everyone knows it. It's the same in every sport, there are instances where you will get unlucky, and other times that exact same situation will benefit you.

Back