• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

football with "pace" - do we ?

That would change the attacking dynamic massively

Limited players with genuine pace can still be a threat, where as technical players with no extra gears (lamella for example) lack that extra variety

I see your Lamela and raise you a Sheringham, Keane and Berbatov. I will say though that it would be nice to have options, but I don't think pace is the be all and end all. I want pace and technical skills, rather than pace at the expense of technical skills.

I see your Lamela and raise you a Sheringham, Keane and Berbatov. I will say though that it would be nice to have options, but I don't think pace is the be all and end all. I want pace and technical skills, rather than pace at the expense of technical skills.

There strikers though

None of them were quick I agree but strikers are there for scoring

Don't forget they were fed by the likes of Lennon, Bale (ok wrong era), Anderton and others

I'm less concerned if the point man isn't super quick

The problem with the current 3 behind is that there ducking slow and pedestrian

There strikers though

None of them were quick I agree but strikers are there for scoring

Don't forget they were fed by the likes of Lennon, Bale (ok wrong era), Anderton and others

I'm less concerned if the point man isn't super quick

The problem with the current 3 behind is that there ducking slow and pedestrian

I agree with that. When they are not on song, that's what they look like. Last season shows that they can score quite a few goals between them over the course of a season, but like you I'd like to have more options so that it can be mixed up a bit more when they are not on form.

I agree with that. When they are not on song, that's what they look like. Last season shows that they can score quite a few goals between them over the course of a season, but like you I'd like to have more options so that it can be mixed up a bit more when they are not on form.

That's all I want really

Options and variety so we're harder to play against and arguably more exciting

Pace against teams sitting back isn't that effective, it's in games like Saturdays at OT where we need it as an option. A turnover in the middle of the park and breaking behind a defence that's pushed up. We don't really have that.

Pace against teams sitting back isn't that effective, it's in games like Saturdays at OT where we need it as an option. A turnover in the middle of the park and breaking behind a defence that's pushed up. We don't really have that.

Good point and its something we have lacked since Lennon was put out to grass.

relative pace - when a team is sitting back their back line is almost at a standstill.

arsenal does well to suddenly turn on the pace with a neat 1-2 to put a player into a dangerous position in the box.

its much harder to play faster than the opposition in tight situations.

Which is why Bolassie didn't start for palace at the weekend for example

You need the option though and we currently do have it

relative pace - when a team is sitting back their back line is almost at a standstill.

Ar5ena1 does well to suddenly turn on the pace with a neat 1-2 to put a player into a dangerous position in the box.

its much harder to play faster than the opposition in tight situations.

Only because they pass it quick to quick players to move onto

I'd argue all their attackers are bloody quick and some are exceptionally quick

Only because they pass it quick to quick players to move onto

I'd argue all their attackers are bloody quick and some are exceptionally quick
i'd argue that they training and anticipation plays a big part in 1-2s in tight situations.
its playing passes without looking knowing that particular player will want it in that spot.
playing at the speed of thought - i call it

i'd argue that they training and anticipation plays a big part in 1-2s in tight situations.
its playing passes without looking knowing that particular player will want it in that spot.
playing at the speed of thought - i call it

Bang on, the old coaching saying is the one that says the first yard is in the head.

Well, we now have Njie & Son, so slightly different view of the pace available to manager

Anybody want to have a go at how we are going to line up with those two, and does it change our tactics/system?

Well, we now have Njie & Son, so slightly different view of the pace available to manager

Anybody want to have a go at how we are going to line up with those two, and does it change our tactics/system?

Those two on the wings, with Kane as striker, in a 433. Two midfielders who can use the ball & one deep laying defensive enforcer. Eriksen & Mason/Alli will be the two advanced midfielders with a new DM behind them.

Those two on the wings, with Kane as striker, in a 433. Two midfielders who can use the ball & one deep laying defensive enforcer. Eriksen & Mason/Alli will be the two advanced midfielders with a new DM behind them.

It is quite interesting. Recently we have been playing a kind of lop-sided 4-2-3-1 where Chadli joins Kane up front for periods and Lamela/Dembele drop deeper to kind of form a wonky 4-4-2 (not the wonky, of course), with Dier sitting and shielding the defense/dropping between the CBs when in possession.

From what little I've heard of N'Jie and Son, neither seem particularly willing or able defensively. Although you would assume they wouldn't have been bought unless they had defensive capabilities in their makeup, it almost seems like they are both 'Chadli-type' players, so I'm having difficulty realistically imagining how they will slot into the tactic we are currently using.

Looking forward to actually seeing them in the flesh so we can understand a bit more. Annoyingly that won't be for another few weeks yet!

I think it's unlikely both will start at once. Whichever one doe start will be playing within the width of the 18 yard box either get into the box for s shot, drag the CB across/out to give Harry room or leave a space for Eriksen to burst into. just my view.

With poch I really can't tell, he seems averse to losing possession so the ability to play searching speculative balls is out, that means we amble upfield until the opponent has 10 men behind the ball, with no space for a direct attack.

That high pressing game ... The easy part is pressing, the difficult part is scoring. I know poch believes in the system, but I don't know if he is good enough to apply it.

Today's Liverpool game, for me, showed the awesome power of having pace in your team. This is probably the biggest gap I see in our squad. While Dele, Eriksen and even Harry have a burst of speed in them, they are not pacy players. The closest we can get to a speedster is Son and even then his running with the ball leaves much to be desired - as shown in his 1v1 against Holgate yesterday where he actually was ahead but let the defender get back and tackle.

Indeed I would actually say that the primary reason that we have such an abysmal record away to the big 4 is our lack of pace.

Yet seeing as this thread dates back to 2015, we seem to have done SFA about it for 6 transfer windows??!! :confused:

Raw pace is an excellent tool in the set, but is IMO often greatly over rated.

Those last 6 windows, how badly have we been performing?

Consecutive title challenges, and back in the hunt again for a 3rd year straight.

I would certainly like some added pace in the side, even if only as a bench option to try and change a game in our favour, but I do think people go OTT on how essential it is.

Raw pace is an excellent tool in the set, but is IMO often greatly over rated.

Those last 6 windows, how badly have we been performing?

Consecutive title challenges, and back in the hunt again for a 3rd year straight.

I would certainly like some added pace in the side, even if only as a bench option to try and change a game in our favour, but I do think people go OTT on how essential it is.

I agree. In all but 10 fixtures each season, it only becomes useful after we have scored one or two. We also aren't anywhere near as slow as people make out.

Back