• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Football and Homophobia

Nobody is compelled to respect another person's point of view. It is one of the great myths of the modern world: "It's my opinion/my culture/my religion and therefore you must respect it!"

Erm, oh no I bloody well don't! I'll respect what I chose to respect and disrespect what I chose to disrespect based on my own values, thanks very much. I am under no obligation whatsoever to grant respect simply because somebody demands it or simply because somebody labels their intolerance "my opinion". You have a right to hold those views of course, but you have no right to automatically expect respect for them.

=D>

Nobody is compelled to respect another person's point of view. It is one of the great myths of the modern world: "It's my opinion/my culture/my religion and therefore you must respect it!"
Erm, oh no I bloody well don't! I'll respect what I chose to respect and disrespect what I chose to disrespect based on my own values, thanks very much. I am under no obligation whatsoever to grant respect simply because somebody demands it or simply because somebody labels their intolerance "my opinion". You have a right to hold those views of course, but you have no right to automatically expect respect for them.

Hey, mate, you're so intolerant! we're both intolerant, I feel we could be friends

I'd happily have a whole team of b*nders play for Spurs and win us the title, as I have no interest whatsoever in our players sexual preferences or persuasions. On a personal level I'd prefer them not to be those very effeminate, 'mincey' queens, as I really struggle to fathom that aspect of botting.

"What do you think I fought for at Omaha Beach?" - What do you think my grandpa fought for at Stalingrad? - for our motherland, for our people, for our culture. Our culture. Our way of life. In our point of view sodomy is perversion. Like bestiality for example.
Do not demonize me, I have fella who is gay. I'm freaking fan of Graham Chapman. Nobody's perfect) Nobody shoots gays in the streets, they live their own life, but please do not say its normal, do not say it to my child. Do not let perverts raise children.

No one is demonising you. You have your views which are echoed by your government and a large percentage of your fellow country folk. You have every right to to your opinion and you have every right to share it on a public forum.

But understand this. You are posting on a forum with a largely British population. In our culture, your views would be widely condemned and ridiculed. That is why posters are reacting in such a shocked and frustrated manner to your posts. It is also why there has been a huge backlash towards your government for how they physically and verbally attack homosexuals, in the rest of the free thinking, modern world.

Don't mistake political correctness for the request for common decency and equal respect for all ways of life.

"What do you think I fought for at Omaha Beach?" - What do you think my grandpa fought for at Stalingrad? - for our motherland, for our people, for our culture. Our culture. Our way of life. In our point of view sodomy is perversion. Like bestiality for example.
Do not demonize me, I have fella who is gay. I'm freaking fan of Graham Chapman. Nobody's perfect) Nobody shoots gays in the streets, they live their own life, but please do not say its normal, do not say it to my child. Do not let perverts raise children.

Good lord.

It doesn't matter what anyone's race, colour, sex preference are people should treated with the same respect we all expect. Most of the problems are caused by the professional busy-bodies who want to be their spokesmen. If you keep shouting "I'm different than you" people will treat you differently.

No one is demonising you. You have your views which are echoed by your government and a large percentage of your fellow country folk. You have every right to to your opinion and you have every right to share it on a public forum.

But understand this. You are posting on a forum with a largely British population. In our culture, your views would be widely condemned and ridiculed. That is why posters are reacting in such a shocked and frustrated manner to your posts. It is also why there has been a huge backlash towards your government for how they physically and verbally attack homosexuals, in the rest of the free thinking, modern world.

Don't mistake political correctness for the request for common decency and equal respect for all ways of life.

I'm opposite to my government. Really intolerant to Putin regime. and all my friends are.
But it is one of the great myths of the modern world: "Equal respect for all ways of life!"
Ok, thank you for calm post and sorry for my trolling, all you guys and girls and even gays)

No wonder footballers are afraid to be openly gay....

the tone of the majority of you are shocking....

being called everything from benders, fags, to what ever else....

Gay people did not choose to be gay just like you did not choose to be your sexuality....

some men sleep with other men.... GET OVER IT!

a lot of you come across as narrow minded and thuggish as the same Chelsea and West Ham fans you critise in the "Yid" debate....

I'm opposite to my government. Really intolerant to Putin regime. and all my friends are.
But it is one of the great myths of the modern world: "Equal respect for all ways of life!"
Ok, thank you for calm post and sorry for my trolling, all you guys and girls and even gays)

That's cool.

Gay people did not choose to be gay just like you did not choose to be your sexuality....

a lot of you come across as narrow minded and thuggish as the same Chelsea and West Ham fans you critise in the "Yid" debate....

=D>

=D>

Some fans have come further than others.

[video=youtube;69kAXVOXIqU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69kAXVOXIqU[/video]

=D>

Attitudes are changed over time, often generations. Not instantly. Which one campaign, which one project changed the views on racism? It was a slow moving process requiring generational change, as this is.

People who are homophobic and middle aged might not change their mind (although some might). A kid growing up with homophobic parents being exposed to their drivel day in day out might be influenced by one of his heroes wearing rainbow laces though. A young man picking on another for being gay might reconsider ever so slightly. These things add up.

These campaigns aren't just for there to change the attitudes of biggots either. I'll continue in my reply to the quote from Yiddo.

Suicide rates among gay and lesbian teenagers are most likely several times higher than among straight teenagers. Who cares? How about the families and friends of those individuals?

These kind of projects aren't just to try to change minds, it's also to show support to a group of people that often find themselves in difficult situations. Some here seem to think that attitudes have changed and that's it. That's not the case, as illustrated by suicide rates.

The only good thing about your opinion is that it's becoming antiquated. A few decades from now it will most likely be seen comparable to the way we view racist opinions being vocalised not that many years ago.

Too much political correctness can be a real problem, and it can also be annoying. To me though it's just as annoying when people defend their views by claiming that the only problem is too much political correctness.

None. IMO it was Viv Anderson playing for England and the Specials breaking through as a two-tone music act. Both happened in 1978 IIRC.

You don't win arguments with opponents on things like this. They just die out and a new generation takes over who knows better.

It's another culture, different opinion. You show no respect for my point of view, so let me show no respect for gay propaganda.
Still love you, mate)

So you complain about political correctness being out of hand in the west and then you go crying about cultural relativism, in my opinion the worst part of political correctness.

You misunderstand. The USA that man fought for during WW2 obviously wasn't very welcoming towards homosexuals. The point was about a lesson learned about freedom and equality.

Honestly, I don't care that being bigoted is part of your history and your culture, it's still wrong. It was a part of the culture and history in the west too. Alan Turing who worked on (spearheaded) the Enigma project that most likely cut WW2 by years saving an astonishing amount of human lives was arrested later in his life for being gay and went on to kill himself. That was the culture in Britain, but it changed. Because people said that it doesn't matter that this is how it was done in the past, it's just wrong.

Russia, like so many countries, has a history of some horrible antisemitism. But I'm guessing you're not going to defend that based on culture or heritage.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/russian-parliament-vote-anti-gay-bill

MOSCOW (AP) — A bill that stigmatizes gay people and bans giving children any information about homosexuality won overwhelming approval Tuesday in Russia's lower house of parliament.

Hours before the State Duma passed the Kremlin-backed law in a 436-0 vote with one abstention, more than two dozen protesters were attacked by hundreds of anti-gay activists and then detained by police.

You might be opposite to your government on other issues, but on this issue you seem perfectly in line with what is being reported outside Russia at least.

"Equal respect for all ways of life" is a myth, but you want us to respect your opinions because they're part of your culture.

There seems to be some inconsistencies in what you're saying.

gays have the same rights as us heterosexual people, have not they? vote, perfom, work - no? GHod, children are dying in Africa, who cares? who really cares?
and, yes, I'm political incorrect, I don't uderstand all this **** with guys kissing each other, disgusting for me (but I like girls sex, it's hot:)), don't understand gays in army, don't understand all that afro-american hype - in my language we call them - negr (негр), it's not abusive word in my culture context, I'm not racist. It's abnormal for me when a child raised in a gay family - is it modern and dynamic?? Western world is obsessed with PC, in my opinion.
Guns N'Roses song One in a Million reflects my feelings perfectly.

haven't bothered reading the replies, I'll get mine in first.

I will say that 'tis a free society...but mate, if you walk around with your head in the sand only thinking of exactly what you feel you have the right to say, then it's going to get increasingly ugly. Just 'cos you've got the power, that don't mean you've got the right!!!!!

As for the 'in my culture & context' argument, listen, there was a time that drowning people you thought were witches was 'culturally acceptable' as was hanging, drawing and quartering. Societies, and indeed cultures, move on. So come on! Behave!

Here's to hoping you get your head out of the sand...let's hope that's where it is now anyway, and not somewhere closer to your own body...

It's another culture, different opinion. You show no respect for my point of view, so let me show no respect for gay propaganda.
Still love you, mate)

Oh what ********! How about showing some respect for the human ****ing race! Stop hiding behind the 'my culture' argument, unless you only ever intend to LIVE WITHIN your 'culture'...'respect'...you want 'respect' for what exactly?

Back