• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Financial Fair Play

Re: O/T Financial Fair Play

It would at least add some credibility to anyone claiming they're signing on to "a project".

It would at least add some credibility to anyone claiming they're signing on to "a project".

True. And it would encourage actually growing the club, stadium, fan base etc over just chucking some money at some over the hill overpaid mercenary.

This is true, but we don't know how close we could have got. Without Chelsea and City we would probably have been an established CL club by now, which would have brought the financial rewards. This would have allowed us to attract players and retain them. Perhaps Berbatov and Modric would have stayed. A big reason we can land the star striker we crave is we are not on the CL and cannot offered the wages. Hazard commented that the reason he didn't join us was because he wanted to play in the CL. On top of this, without Chelsea and City we wouldn't have see such wage inflation which would have further helped our competitiveness.

United and Arsenal would still have had an advantage but we might have been staying close. Then say Bale and Modric had made their break through when we were close to the top instead of close to fourth?

Well it's all just speculation and nothing wrong with that.

I think the lge would have been less competitive without Chelsea and city as I think Utd would have owned it and Arsenal might have had a title or two.

We haven't won the title for over 50 years and during my well over 50 years supporting Spurs I have seen quite a few teams with less financial resources than us win the title. We would have done better without Chelsea and City and I 100% wish neither had won the lottery, but I still don't believe we'd have won the title.

Re: Let's NOT Laugh At Arsenal

All this talk of money and yet so many Spurs fans don't want a 'sugar daddy'. Very baffling to me. Chelsea grabbed Arsenal's seat at the Prem's top table, and didn't need a new stadium to do it.

All this talk of money and yet so many Spurs fans don't want a 'sugar daddy'. Very baffling to me. Chelsea grabbed Arsenal's seat at the Prem's top table, and didn't need a new stadium to do it.

Why is it baffling?

There's a clear difference between earning your money and being handed it on a silver platter.

The day spurs are handed that kind of money on a silver platter is the day many fans lose quite a bit of interest.

Why is it baffling?

There's a clear difference between earning your money and being handed it on a silver platter.

The day spurs are handed that kind of money on a silver platter is the day many fans lose quite a bit of interest.

If we ever got a bored billionaire to take our club over it will be the end for me.

If we ever got a bored billionaire to take our club over it will be the end for me.

You sure about that? I don't know you personally, but I don't think you would. You'd still be around, because Tottenham Hotspur's still around. That's the Faustian bargain you entered into. We all did.

Sure, you'd probably lose interest, or attempt to switch over, or try to detach yourself. I'd try to do the same. But I know I'd fail, because deep down, I chose Spurs because of what we are, not because of who we're owned by. So yeah, I'd still be around, and I'm quietly confident you'd be too.

Of course you'd all be around :lol:

We get taken over, we begin to buy players who we've always wanted at the club. We compete at the top of the table against the likes of Emirates Marketing Project and Man Utd. We have a better opportunity of doing better in the cup competitions and you can bet your bottom dollar that we'd be competing in the Champions League every single year. Sure it'd be "lottery money" but you would all still celebrate like nobody if we won the Premier League thanks to a 90th minute Aaron Lennon winner.

He constantly talks about Joe Lewis like he is on a similar level to Mansour and Abramovich. ](*,)

'As for Levy, some magician. Isn’t your club actually owned by billionaire tax exile Joe Lewis?'

Which would be relevant if he threw money at the club, something none of us have seen any evidence of.

'As for Levy, some magician. Isn’t your club actually owned by billionaire tax exile Joe Lewis?'

Which would be relevant if he threw money at the club, something none of us have seen any evidence of.

Yeah. Seriously, the man needs educating.

Once again, I find myself broadly agreeing with Martin Samuel - though obviously not with some of his more childish and ignorant digs at Spurs.

The truth of the matter is that this is a stitch up by Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool and - shamefully and mystifyingly - Spurs. It has nothing to do with a worthy aim of preventing financial meltdowns such as those that have afflicted the likes of Portsmouth and Leeds. Nor does it have anything to do with fair play. The clubs involved have no interest in fair play. They merely want to maintain a status quo that will see them granted a financial advantage of giant proportions in perpetuity.

There has been no financial fair play in England since the 1980's - from the moment that gate revenues for every game were no longer shared equally between the two competing clubs. Since then, the gap has widened into an unbridgeable chasm.

Now, of course I don't like the fact that Chelsea and Emirates Marketing Project are financially doped. We have suffered more than any other club as a consequence. But there's nothing illegal in what they're doing. Nor is there anything immoral about it. In every sector, huge investment is one of the ways in which companies can grow from cottage industries to giant multinationals. Certainly, there is nothing more immoral about what Chelsea and City are doing than what the top clubs did in the early 1990's when their greed, and their complete disregard for other clubs, led to the founding of the Premier League.

And the thing about what Chelsea and City are doing is that, in theory anyway, it is a path that is open to all - big club and small. What Man Utd, Arsenal et al are proposing, however, is the complete opposite - a closed shop. If you're not already one of the elite, then fudge you. You're out forever.

It stinks. And I would rather that my club had no part in it.

A club is built on many things. Rich benefactors like Jack Walker, RA and the Sheiks have taken their teams to titles over clubs with far bigger fanbases.

And of course teams like Chelsea and City have see their fanbase expand on the back of their success.

Revenue is probably the key determinant for success. The three clubs with effectively the biggest revenue, i.e. including owner funds and all sources of revenue have been the three that have dominated the title, and indeed the trophy board in general during the past 3 years.

Last edited:

I'm also ambivalent towards this FFP proposal as it merely seems a way to guarantee that the rich clubs get richer and the rest will be prevented from ever joining them and winning some trophies.

As the likes of ManUre / Madrid/ Barelona historically have enormous fan bases which guarantee them a turnover we can never match, thus they will always be able to lure players away from smaller clubs like us by offering them astronomical wages and a near certainty that they will win silverware. Hence why even a top 4 club like ARSEnal can't prevent their star players like Henry, Fabregas and RvP from leaving just as we were unable to prevent Modric, Carrick and Berbatov from ditching us.

I can understand why our prudent chairman would want to go along with FFP as it should slow down the obscene inflation of players' salaries but it is highly unlikely to make Spurs any more likely to overtake the likes of ManUre and finally win a Premier League league title, as they will continue to enjoy a massive financial advantage over us which allows them to cherry pick the best players in the EPL.

Personally I'd like to see something like the "Luxury Tax" suggested in this thread adopted by UEFA http://www.glory-glory.co.uk/showthread.php?3595-O-T-whats-wrong-with-a-wage-and-salary-cap but there's sod all chance of it happening as that would mean the G14 would not be able to easily outspend everyone else and continue their historical dominance of football' silverware.

Chelsea were on the curve towards the top, City were not as far along that line.

Chelsea were on the curve towards bankruptcy that very year.

City were screamingly average, Georghe Kinkladze and Uwe Rosler were their stars back in the day.

Chelsea were on the curve towards bankruptcy that very year.

City were screamingly average, Georghe Kinkladze and Uwe Rosler were their stars back in the day.

Seem to remember that if they had not made top 4 they would have gone bust and as it was they were talking about selling players that very week that roman took them over. GHod how close we came to see those pikey bastards gone.

So many fans that now call themselves chelsea fans would have been following man u or someone and we would have been at the top table.

You sure about that? I don't know you personally, but I don't think you would. You'd still be around, because Tottenham Hotspur's still around. That's the Faustian bargain you entered into. We all did.

Sure, you'd probably lose interest, or attempt to switch over, or try to detach yourself. I'd try to do the same. But I know I'd fail, because deep down, I chose Spurs because of what we are, not because of who we're owned by. So yeah, I'd still be around, and I'm quietly confident you'd be too.

Spurs will always be my club, however if we were to get that bored billioniare my S/T ( and i have had one for more years then i can remember) will not be renewed.

Of course you'd all be around :lol:

We get taken over, we begin to buy players who we've always wanted at the club. We compete at the top of the table against the likes of Emirates Marketing Project and Man Utd. We have a better opportunity of doing better in the cup competitions and you can bet your bottom dollar that we'd be competing in the Champions League every single year. Sure it'd be "lottery money" but you would all still celebrate like nobody if we won the Premier League thanks to a 90th minute Aaron Lennon winner.

Well said.

I would love it to win the title. To me it's irrelevant whether it's lottery money, TV money or gate money. It's all money to me, and the more of it we can get the more I would like it.

There would be plenty of people to take any unrenewed season tickets. We'd have an even bigger waiting list than we did now, if we actually started winning things, especially the 'Big 2' trophies.

Back