• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Fergie: Retired, Moyes: Sacked, LVG/Giggs: The New Super Duo

Re: Fergie: Officially Retiring - Moyes Taking Over

so Martinez has won a trophy, laudrup won a trophy with swansea, its all very well saying moyes did so well at everton but the bottom line is he's got nothing to show for it

Everton have generally been overachieving in the league for a decade now. I think that's a far better indicator of what to expect of a manager than the odd cup run. Given United's resources he will be expected to achieve more, but he should at least be given a season to show it. IMO Moyes is a superior manager to both of them and far more proven. Laudrup has a few failures on his CV and Swansea have completely switched off since the league cup final. Not saying I'd want Moyes, I think he'd be a poor fit with us, but he shouldn't be dismissed simply because he hasn't won any trophies.

When asked by @SkySports Geoff Shreeves what he'll miss most, Ferguson replies: "Those last-minute goals. I love those last-minute goals!"

Dulloyes will be lucky to serve 2 years of his 6 year contract

May as well put this in here. A retirement somewhat overshadowed by Ferguson leaving (which as it turns out is exactly how he wanted it!)

[video=youtube;qmZNXco0lYo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmZNXco0lYo[/video]

Full interview;

[video=youtube;HOiSPmbvKBU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOiSPmbvKBU[/video]

Everton have generally been overachieving in the league for a decade now. I think that's a far better indicator of what to expect of a manager than the odd cup run. Given United's resources he will be expected to achieve more, but he should at least be given a season to show it. IMO Moyes is a superior manager to both of them and far more proven. Laudrup has a few failures on his CV and Swansea have completely switched off since the league cup final. Not saying I'd want Moyes, I think he'd be a poor fit with us, but he shouldn't be dismissed simply because he hasn't won any trophies.

Why not? the guy is 50, been managing at a "best of the rest" PL club with a lot of stability (which none of his immediate competitors had).

As others have pointed out, Martinez, Laudrup, Redknapp have all won trophies in recent past, Moyes = 0. It's the devil in the details for me, typically they are brick in cups, awful against top 4, awful against their main rivals, awful when it matters. Everton plays well when the chance of CL goes away and all they are playing for is 5th-8th.

I'm totally confused by the appointment, guy for most people wouldn't be good enough for us, yet everyone thinks he will do a good job at United?

Why not? the guy is 50, been managing at a "best of the rest" PL club with a lot of stability (which none of his immediate competitors had).

As others have pointed out, Martinez, Laudrup, Redknapp have all won trophies in recent past, Moyes = 0. It's the devil in the details for me, typically they are brick in cups, awful against top 4, awful against their main rivals, awful when it matters. Everton plays well when the chance of CL goes away and all they are playing for is 5th-8th.

I'm totally confused by the appointment, guy for most people wouldn't be good enough for us, yet everyone thinks he will do a good job at United?

=D> absolutely agree

im convinced Utd wont win the league, FA cup or CL with Moyes.....he may nick a league cup

i smell a loser. He certainly is no potential Ferguson like some in the media would want us to believe

Would love to see him do well but I don't believe that he will. He seems like a top bloke but I just believe that Everton is his level. That said, he couldn't turn down the United job.

Moyes' style of football is limited and once it gets to a certain level, it doesn't work. To me, that's perfectly illustrated in his away record against United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool. Played 50 and won 0. He'll fail at United. Fergie will be out of retirement by February.

Much as I'd like to see Utd fail the alternative is even less appealing.

Although I agree with the underlying sentiment that Moyes so far doesn't seem great under pressure. Or at least he hasn't shown that ability so far. The comparison with managers that have won something seems a bit off. Yes, they are "the best of the rest", let's say there are on average 5 better teams than them in the PL, even being the best of the rest, the rest is still 14 other teams, with over the years probably close to or over a hundred other managers competing for a trophy. Then picking out the managers that did win something to use as your comparison seems a bit unfair.

Although I agree with the underlying sentiment that Moyes so far doesn't seem great under pressure. Or at least he hasn't shown that ability so far. The comparison with managers that have won something seems a bit off. Yes, they are "the best of the rest", let's say there are on average 5 better teams than them in the PL, even being the best of the rest, the rest is still 14 other teams, with over the years probably close to or over a hundred other managers competing for a trophy. Then picking out the managers that did win something to use as your comparison seems a bit unfair.

It doesn't seem that unfair as Moyes has had eleven years there. He had the time to build his squad up to play the way he wants them to play.

That's twenty two opportunities to win a cup. He has gotten them to a single, solitary cup final. (iirc, 09 Fa Cup?)

For the, as you suggest, 6th best team in the league that's diabolical. They've been pretty consistent league wise.

Last edited:

couldnt believe how his Everton team fooked up the Fa semi against Liverpool last season. They took the lead and then just sat back hoping to nick the win against an average Pool team. Negative tactics, horrible football on the day. That day for me summed Moyes up

It doesn't seem that unfair as Moyes has had eleven years there. He had the time to build his squad up to play the way he wants them to play.

That's twenty two opportunities to win a cup. He has gotten them to a single, solitary cup final. (iirc, 09 Fa Cup?)

For the, as you suggest, 6th best team in the league that's diabolical. They've been pretty consistent league wise.

How many times do you think the 6th best team in the league should win one of the cups on average in an 11 year period?

How many times do you think the 6th best team in the league should win one of the cups on average in an 11 year period?

I think they should be in the final four or five times, should probably win two of those as well.

A sustained run as manager should lead to better success.

(Ignoring the moneybags duo, as they throw money at whichever manager they get anyway)

Last edited:

Saw this on twitter:

Next season Man Utd will have a new manager, Emirates Marketing Project will have a new manager, Chelsea will have a new manager and we'll have the same manager, players happy, some new fresh signings about the place too.

They'll probably all have a new striker too.

We know how tricky it can be for new managers to come in. Mancini didn't have the greatest starts as Emirates Marketing Project manager, neither did Benitez (or di Matteo in the league), Moyes is still out of the question, it's Man Utd, they have success built into them, plus Fergie will STILL be in the back

Since being taken over they've signed:

Robinho - £32.5m
Santa Cruz - £18m
Tevez - £25.5m
Adebayor - £25.5m
Balotelli - £24m
Dzeko - £27m
Aguero - £38m

Back