• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Favourite pub garden in england?

Danishfurniturelover

the prettiest spice girl
I would like to know your favourite pub gardens, especailly if they are in the south east as i may visit. The other thread on trees got me thinking of pub gardens.

We have a lot wrong with this country but no where in the world does pub gardens like we do, i think they are my favourite thing about england and with the weather going like it is i expect to be spending a bit more time in some local ones:p pub gardens are one of those things that make me glad to be english.

The best ever is the French Horn in Sonning

Stay overnight and enjoy their spit roasted ducks (done over the fire in the bar)

The gardens are stunning

510561_618811d9.jpg

My GHod that looks perfect where the hell is sonning? i want to go there the water the willow tree it looks lovely.

Its near Reading. I took some clients there and stayed overnight. Its near Microsoft hq. The food is very French and the wine list is immense...

The girls that serve up breakfast in the morning wear old fashioned Victorian type clothes... You just want to bend them over and spank their bottoms...

Do a lot of work down reading way try out the George and dragon in a small town called wargrave nearby not so much a garden but a outside area overlooking the Thames and top top food

Ay up, all this Sonning and Wargrave chat is getting very near to my neck of the woods

The French Horn isn't really a pub garden - it is more like a posh hotel with gardens for weddings and mincing about with croquet - they wouldn't want a sweaty cyclist like Chich in attendance, telling them all some home truths about the class system and home grown vegetables

The Trout is nice because it's on a weir, but it's usually rammed with 'humans' whenever the sun comes out and is very average in general

The George and Dragon does decent food and overlooks the river, but again not really a pub garden as you said. Nice spot.

I'm struggling to think of one with a really nice garden... what do you want from it Chich... river view, pond... hmm let me think

I guess you're looking further south anyway if you're biking from Chichester - you will probably stumble across some tasty ones nearer to home with thatched pubs and all that jazz...

not really the english country garden scene you're after but if you like a bit of history then the Prospect of Whitby in Wapping is worth a look in:

The Prospect of Whitby is a historic public house on the banks of the Thames at Wapping in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. It lays claim to being the site of the oldest riverside tavern, dating from around 1520. It was formerly known as the DevilÔÇÖs Tavern, on account of its dubious reputation. Before that it was officially called "The Pelican". All that remains from the buildingÔÇÖs earliest period is the 400 year old stone floor. In former times it was a meeting place for sailors, smugglers, cut-throats and footpads. Sir Hugh Willoughby sailed from here in 1533 in a disastrous attempt to discover the North-East Passage to China.

In the 17th century, it became the hostelry of choice of "Hanging" Judge Jeffreys, scourge of the Monmouth Rebellion. He lived nearby and a noose hangs by a window, commemorating his custom. He was chased by anti-Royalists into the nearby Town of Ramsgate, captured and taken to the Tower for his own safety. According to legend, criminals would be tied up to the posts at low tide and left there to drown when the tide came in. Execution Dock was actually by Wapping Old Stairs and generally used for pirates.[1]

Views from the pub were sketched by both Turner and Whistler. Writers Charles dingdongens and Samuel Pepys are known to have paused to sup here.[1]

Following a fire in the early 19th century, the tavern was rebuilt and renamed The Prospect of Whitby, after a Tyne collier that used to berth next to the pub. The Prospect was listed Grade II in December 1950.[2]

On the opposite side of the road (Wapping Wall) is the Wapping Hydraulic Power Station, now an arts centre and restaurant.

The public house features briefly in an episode of Only Fools And Horses. When Uncle Albert goes missing in one episode, Del Boy and Rodney travel around London looking for him. Nicholas Lyndhurst is shown in one scene walking out of the pub. There is also a scene from the 1956 film D-Day the Sixth of June starring Robert Taylor and Richard Todd where Taylor's character is seen with Dana Wynter's character having drinks together during the Second World War in London.

In the comic book The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Mina Harker pauses in front of the public house and says it brings back memories. She is referring to the beaching of the Demeter at Whitby in the novel Dracula.

View attachment 472 View attachment 473

I like the sound of that NW5pur - just tie criminals up at low tide and wait for the moon to pull water over them.

That's got to be cheaper than lethal injection etc.

Someone should tell the yanks about this.

WhoopWhoop - I could tell you where I live, but then you might show up with a pickaxe handle one night.

not really the english country garden scene you're after but if you like a bit of history then the Prospect of Whitby in Wapping is worth a look in:

The Prospect of Whitby is a historic public house on the banks of the Thames at Wapping in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. It lays claim to being the site of the oldest riverside tavern, dating from around 1520. It was formerly known as the Devil’s Tavern, on account of its dubious reputation. Before that it was officially called "The Pelican". All that remains from the building’s earliest period is the 400 year old stone floor. In former times it was a meeting place for sailors, smugglers, cut-throats and footpads. Sir Hugh Willoughby sailed from here in 1533 in a disastrous attempt to discover the North-East Passage to China.

In the 17th century, it became the hostelry of choice of "Hanging" Judge Jeffreys, scourge of the Monmouth Rebellion. He lived nearby and a noose hangs by a window, commemorating his custom. He was chased by anti-Royalists into the nearby Town of Ramsgate, captured and taken to the Tower for his own safety. According to legend, criminals would be tied up to the posts at low tide and left there to drown when the tide came in. Execution Dock was actually by Wapping Old Stairs and generally used for pirates.[1]

Views from the pub were sketched by both Turner and Whistler. Writers Charles dingdongens and Samuel Pepys are known to have paused to sup here.[1]

Following a fire in the early 19th century, the tavern was rebuilt and renamed The Prospect of Whitby, after a Tyne collier that used to berth next to the pub. The Prospect was listed Grade II in December 1950.[2]

On the opposite side of the road (Wapping Wall) is the Wapping Hydraulic Power Station, now an arts centre and restaurant.

The public house features briefly in an episode of Only Fools And Horses. When Uncle Albert goes missing in one episode, Del Boy and Rodney travel around London looking for him. Nicholas Lyndhurst is shown in one scene walking out of the pub. There is also a scene from the 1956 film D-Day the Sixth of June starring Robert Taylor and Richard Todd where Taylor's character is seen with Dana Wynter's character having drinks together during the Second World War in London.

In the comic book The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Mina Harker pauses in front of the public house and says it brings back memories. She is referring to the beaching of the Demeter at Whitby in the novel Dracula.

View attachment 472 View attachment 473

I found that very interesting thanks for the post, im not taking the tinkle here but i find it interesting to know the history of old pubs, i can see me going on amazon now and looking for books in this theme. Obviously i like pubs because i like a drink but i do like the pubs that feel old and would have a story or 2 to tell. Wine bars are the devils child and i refuse to go in one even to use the toilet.

I hate pubs at airports they make want to get violent, don't know why just how i feel.

Back