• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Farewell GG

I agree with the OP.

. An example would be Defoe - been great for Spurs, bangs in the goals, great movement but there is a set of posters who daily feel the need to try and convince the world he is brick and that he is on the list of deadwood to be sold. It would be boring if they had a point, but quite clearly whatever criteria you use to judge a striker, Defoe will always come out as a top premier league player.

I agree with the OP and also live south of the river now. I've been a follower and member of this site since I was at Uni well over a decade ago. I browse but rarely post because despite liking the technical facilities of the forum it's full of cliques, long complex threads and daft opinions that change like the weather - incidentally a thread in random I do enjoy.

However, I do totally disagree about Defoe, it's fairly clear we will no longer be playing 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 any more (thank GHod) and as everyone should know Defoe is most effective when played up front with a partner, he likes them tall and blonde...

Football is a long old season and in the heat of the battle when we needed him last season he just missed a few too many chances. He's 29 now and it's the last time we can realistically get a decent fee for him and in my opinion we will that do before the end of the window.

Wonder what OP thinks on Defoe...

Counter-intuitively, perhaps the board would benefit if each poster could only post 20 times per day or something. It seems like the same people spamming every thread with rehashed arguments that drown out and stifle other posters.

I guess we could all start by reading our posts three times before posting them imagining the post aimed at yourself, and then if your happy with what you have written, post it.

Kindness

I got inspired by the video put in random recently about helping someone less fortunate. Today I bought 4 homeless guys a KFC bucket.

They called me Princess.

I left with a smile on my face.

Its simple, a little kindness, its free to give. Apart from the 14.99 the bucket cost me.

But there kindness towards me was great, at the time I thought am I doing the right thing.. I did have my two children with me so they protected me somewhat from abuse but still.

Random acts of kindness make you feel good.

If there is no debate the forum will die. That is not the problem. It is the rudeness and lack of respect to other posters that will force old and new posters away. If you post like a dingdonghead then you probably are one.

This is a very sad thread IMO. While I understand the OP's frustration, many fans on these forums are a bit younger and have different attitudes to us older blokes.
It would be nice if us older blokes showed a bit more tolerance and some of the younger guys showed a bit more respect.
In any case we should all think BEFORE we post and play the ball not the man.
In the words of Bill and Ted in their Excellent Adventure, "be excellent to each other guys".
Just my two cents' worth :)

This is a very sad thread IMO. While I understand the OP's frustration, many fans on these forums are a bit younger and have different attitudes to us older blokes.
It would be nice if us older blokes showed a bit more tolerance and some of the younger guys showed a bit more respect.
In any case we should all think BEFORE we post and play the ball not the man.
In the words of Bill and Ted in their Excellent Adventure, "be excellent to each other guys".
Just my two cents' worth :)

Many have become extremely frustrated at the fact that Defoe is our only striker, but that doesn't really matter until our first match. Moaning and bitching on a daily basis isn't going to make any difference whatsoever to our transfer activity.

We're living in the age of impatience, where most have an attention span of about 5 seconds, except for when it comes to holding grudges. :twisted:

Many have become extremely frustrated at the fact that Defoe is our only striker, but that doesn't really matter until our first match. Moaning and bitching on a daily basis isn't going to make any difference whatsoever to our transfer activity.

We're living in the age of impatience, where most have an attention span of about 5 seconds, except for when it comes to holding grudges. :twisted:

Yes, but it IS therapeutic. :)

Friends have mentioned that GG is more easy going and tolerant than other spurs sites.
On the others, people are offended easily, you are restricted on what you
say, each post is moderated, and you more or less have to fall in line. Sounds very totalitarian.

Be careful what you wish for...

Been lurking and posting on and off for years here. Over the last few months I've moved onto forums which use a thank you or like system that I find identifies the WUMS and contributors to the forum. Although I consider GG my first home a combination of lost data from forum crashes, the takeover of threads by people who never actually contribute other than giving the same rehashed opinion, the amount of people who just post an opinion yet never respond to any replies and lastly the lack of any new forum features has made GG for me the last place I bother checking anymore.

Finally I don't think there is much contribution from the moderators other than a select few. How hard is it for example to have a transfer thread that is locked and only updated by moderators thus allowing a discussion thread to be separate? Have a quick glance through the moderator list, their last visits and number of posts. It's like spurs news and views has been overlooked and random is the place to be.

At the risk of an infraction, if you don't like this place, please fudge off and don't come back.

Kind Regards, ST.

It is not very easy (and possibly undesirable) to use the infraction system for someone posting the same argument or having the same discussion across multiple threads. It would be very difficult to identify the perpetrator and half of us would be infected within a week.

For what it is worth, I haven't seen a thread be merged for a while. We had a real problem towards the end of last season where we had a lot of threads started on the same or very similar topics. How many Redknapp threads can one board take?

There are no thread merges because people can't be arsed to start new threads. I don't actually think the infraction system is the way forward but it is highly irritating when a poster starts a new thread that is interesting, you got to post in it and find that it has been lokced as a mod thinks you should be speaking about that subject in some mega-thread.

Look at the amount of news and discussion for Adebayour alone, that deserves it's own thread. And I'd hazard a guess that we'd be over 100 pages by now and the forum gods would have made him sign already... You people are actually damaging our club. Do I think that it is coincidence that Levy's inability to complete busines has coincided with the advent of Transfer mega threads? Oh no my friend, you people have done this to us.

Back